Gibson Brands Forums

$20,000 for the Marshall Les Paul

Rabs

If you gave me it, I'd sell it and but a normal custom shop model and a Boogie. I can't see the point in it. Just an overpriced guitar for overpaid people.

I find that over here in the UK, the wage difference over the last 10 years or so has got bigger between the low paid and the rich. I can see a revolution coming!

I didn't bother to read what all comes with it as I'm not going to buy one but the Les Paul itself looks like a nice guitar but $20,000.00 nice. If they were signed by Marshall or had some intricate inlay work or special finish, aside from the Murphy aging, maybe... Even then I'd buy a 68 Black Beauty and a nice ES 175. Then I'd be happy... [thumbup]:rolleyes:[biggrin]

Silly money, of course, when for around the same price (or even considerably less) you could have your pick of - if not a 1957 - a genuine '52 - '56 G-T.

But Gibson is in business to make money. If they sell 50 @ $20,000 that's a turnover of $1,000,000.

it's not as if they've announced "We will no longer offer the Les Paul Studio model." It's just another LP I can't afford.

There are dozens of LP's I can't afford but I don't let it bother me.

P.

IMO that pick guard decal is tacky and takes away from it's beauty not to mention the functionality of the pick guard. This guitar is destined to be in the hands of collectors or behind a pexiglass display case of an equally tacky Hard Rock Cafe.

For 20 grand I would expect the guitar, the anniversary amp, a plush hard shell case and a lifelong supply of the picks I use. Fender EH teardrop tortise.

Custom shop note: hold my order until I figure out where you can put a Fender logo. =;

Whoever writes the marketing copy at Gibson needs firing. This is about the 5th guitar I've seen with nitrocellulose inlays. Next it'll be celluloid lacquer finishes. Gibson, if you ever feel like employing someone who knows your products I am just an email away!

Not to pick nits, but I'll be nit picky.

Celluloid is an actual trade name, it's 80% nitrocelluolose and some camphor and some other stuff. I know this because I use Celluloid pens as well as picks. It's a dirty process to make, and I am fairly certain nobody in Americur makes it, my pens are all from Japan actually.

So if they wanted to go back to the olden days and make inlays out of plasticized nitrocellulose, they would probably have to use the word Celluloid and then they'd have to actually pay to have celluloid. I would hazard a guess that they are allowed to call a fairly inexpensive mixture "nitrocellulose" without having to pay dearly, or the threat of having to pay dearly, for stablilized nitrocellulose based plastic.

Just a guess. Carry on.

rct

I don't get why guitar makers charge more for a beat-up guitar than a shiny guitar. Oh wait, they target the relic/aged guitars at people with money that don't take the time to beat the sh!t out of their guitars themselves.....

I mean, aging on the neck feels nice, but it's cheaper and easier to buy a regular Strat and remove the finish myself....

As far as that George Harrison tribute Duo-Jet goes, I know for a fact that George wouldn't approve. He'd say "Why make this silly thing so expensive?"! FMIC (they own Gretsch), you got the wrong Beatle!

I think if Gibson makes some super-expensive models for those with a lot of money who want it, who am I to complain or disagree?

The problem with THIS guitar is that no way is it a $20,000 guitar, (or a $12,000 one). There just isn't that much effort in building it or difficulty in making it to justify that much expense.

As for collector value, paying that much would seem to take any "investment" potential out of it. A "collecters" guitar is something that should go UP in value at some point in time. What sense does it make to pay a price that is already more optimistic than what it MIGHT be worth someday?

Archived