Gibson Brands Forums

Roy Orbison

Bob Isaac

It was 24 years ago to today that we lost Roy. He was a huge influence throughout his career. In his early days he hung out with Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash before becoming one of the big names at Sun. Although his career appeared to dwindle in the '70's he was still doing a lot. Like many other big names from the '50's/'60's the British scene turned people's attention away from those big stars; but they did not go away and many like Roy bounced back into the headlines.

He has left an awesome legacy, and still there are many unissued songs locked away in the Orbison vault. Sadly his second wife Barbara passed away one year exactly to this day; that is so spooky. Barbara worked so hard to preserve and continue his work and place in history.

I hope that whoever is looking after the business will continue the work she did.

I know a lot of people do not like Signature guitars, but I am sure there would be many who would like to see another Orbison one maybe next year. A reissue of his other custom 335 would be nice. Block inlays and a master volume control and relocated jack socket.

Bob

Roy was one of the greats and I feel overlooked by the average music fan. He was a huge influence on so many musicians.

Tom Petty has a great story about telling Roy that he probably had the best singing voice ever. Roy just replied " Yep".

John Lennon once said, that he/they wrote "Please, Please Me," with Roy in mind...his style, that is.

CB

This is a Les Paul Gold Top that Roy gave to Hard Rock Cafe in New Orleans in '87, does anyone know what spec it is. I doubt it is the one he had in '55/'56, but then could be. But I think the '55 was a Flame Top.

rock05.jpg

With that headstock size, and mini-humbuckers, it's a "Norlin" era, Gold Top Deluxe. A lot of the late '60's Deluxe's still had the smaller headstock. Not sure when (exactly) the went to the larger version. Late '69 or '70, maybe???

CB

That was another devastating day in music history.We lost 3 musical giants at this time of year,John,George and Roy,it's a particularly rough time for me as I idolized all 3 of them and their deaths hit me particularly hard.God Bless them all.

Orbison doesn't get much credit as a picker, but my understanding is that Sam P. at Sun initially figured he was a good picker but not that much of a singer.

I think besides his singing, his unique songwriting deserves equal or greater credit on grounds that it simply broke the mold of what "normal" songwriting was about. No verse, chorus, verse or verse chorus, verse, bridge, chorus verse for Roy. And his guitar is whence that came.

Not at all always a happy life for a working musician, but one with incredible impact IMHO on popular music of more than a few genres.

m

I think it was The Red Hot Chili Peppers who happened to be at a recording stuidio sometime in the mid-80's and they heard someone singing. They couldn't believe someone could actually sing like that. It turned-out that the person they heard singing was Roy.

Johnny Cash and Orbison were long-time friends. Roy's home was the next house over from Johnny's (about 100 yds away). They used to walk over to each other's boat dock and play songs. Cool stuff. Marty Stuart bought the house sometime after Roy's wife died. Cash used to tell a story of how back in the early 60's Roy was having trouble getting a hit record. Cash told him to lower his voice and get rid of the sunglasses. Cash was laughing pretty hard when he told the story, so I don't know if it's actually true, or just one of those music legends. Anyway, it was a few months later that Pretty Woman hit the airways.

Always wondered how much the guys in the group really knew.

Look at the name.

Traveling Wil..bury..s

Not berries.

Willy

Willy,

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that the name was Harrison's idea. A "Wilbury" was often referred to as something that would go wrong in the studio (i.e. amp won't work, cable goes dead, etc. kind of thing, you know, a "glitch") and since this was all kind of a "haphazard" type of get together anyway...hence their each taking Wilbury pseudonym's

I also remember reading that Orbison was originally hired at Sun because of his guitar skills, not his singing voice! WTF???

Agreed, great singer, what a range!

It was 24 years ago to today that we lost Roy. He was a huge influence throughout his career. In his early days he hung out with Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash before becoming one of the big names at Sun. Although his career appeared to dwindle in the '70's he was still doing a lot. Like many other big names from the '50's/'60's the British scene turned people's attention away from those big stars; but they did not go away and many like Roy bounced back into the headlines.

He has left an awesome legacy, and still there are many unissued songs locked away in the Orbison vault. Sadly his second wife Barbara passed away one year exactly to this day; that is so spooky. Barbara worked so hard to preserve and continue his work and place in history.

I hope that whoever is looking after the business will continue the work she did.

I know a lot of people do not like Signature guitars, but I am sure there would be many who would like to see another Orbison one maybe next year. A reissue of his other custom 335 would be nice. Block inlays and a master volume control and relocated jack socket.

Bob

His clean clear voice and those notes he could hit stand out in my mind

I never get tired of hearing Roy sing "Crying." An absolutly incredible voice. And when you watch him singing, it's obvious that he is not straining to hit any of the notes. The expression on his face is almost unchanged. It would have been cool to have had him linked-up with Rick Rubins for one of those Cash kind of albums where it was just Roy and a lone acoustic guitar. I'd have liked to have heard Elvis do the same thing.

Archived