Gibson Brands Forums

What a surprise!! ( Pics added )

daveinspain

Found a Guitar shaped package under the Christmas tree today... The card on it said it was for me...!! I though my God a GUITAR!!! Was it the black beauty I was looking at or maybe the ES 175 I've been gassing over for the past several years? When I picked it up I noticed the weight seemed out of balance but by the shape of the package it had to be a guitar [biggrin] So I take off the wrapping paper to reveal a triangular cardboard box taped shut... Cut the tape and opened the box, there I found myself looking with wonderment on a very strange guitar case. What the... I unclipped the five latches on the case and opened the lid.... [scared] OMG it's a banjo....!!! Now what do I do, I have no idea how to play a banjo or even tune it for that matter. It's a very thoughtful gift and I'm sure it wasn't cheap but I don't like banjos. I feel like a spoiled child who doesn't appreciate a thoughtful gift but damn, it's a banjo... What do I do. I'm just starting to feel comfortable playing guitar and I'm not a youngster so I don't have time to start a new instrument. Do I say the truth that I don't like it or make like I do and never use it.

Guest EastEnder

That's the funniest story I've heard all year.

Best advice: hang it on a wall. Seriously.

Might look better than that beat-up old Les Paul you've been gassing over.

EE

The thing is it wasn't cheap... Yeah I thought I could hang it on a wall and it would look really cool but seems to be a waist of good money... I'm thinking I should say what a thoughtful gift it is but I don't know how to play a banjo and see if we can trade it for something else...

Dave...

Check on the web to find how to do the open G tuning. Then it's pretty much like playing a guitar in open G in a lotta ways. Frailing (look on youtube for grandpa jones of something like that) and it's striking the melody note downward with the back of one finger, (no big deal if you hit the next string!) strumming with one or more fingers across the chord, then as the hand goes "down," the thumb hits the high drone string. That gives the old style "dum, dippy" rhythm that works well for fiddle tunes such as "bile them cabbage down."

That's the simplest way probably. Or just using the bare hand to strum as one heard from the old Kingston Trio and similar "folk" groups circa late 1950s and early '60s.

Fingerpickin' it... there are batches of variations. Unless you expect to sound like Earl Scruggs, et al, it's not really that hard with that open G.

The banjo was never designed as a "classical" instrument, so functionally every picker plays it quite differently unless they've managed to figure each finger placement of their banjo hero's playing. I never tried. Granted, it's not one I play more than once every cupla years, and I'm doing a lot more "work" on jazz solo stuff (cheaper than Islay-made single malts)... but... I still have that old cheapie that surprisingly has held up rather well for some 40+years. Better than my mandolins. (My banjolin head died on the latest move. !@$#@$%@#$%)

You ain't too old. It depends on what you're doing and with whom you're pickin. Oh - it's even a half-similar sound for some Beatle sitar stuff if you bend it a bunch. I never cared to, but it can be done.

It's also a nice wall hanger to remember someone who cared - or at minimum tried to care.

m

This is frailin.

This is simple clawhammer - either is fun and pretty easy.

Can't (and won't) say what YOU should do...but, if someone gifted me a very nice banjo,

I'd learn (as best I could) how to play it! "Guitar" players, are "a Penny a Thousand,"

these days. A good banjo player, would be an asset, to most bands, with a diverse

musical repertoire. And, it's just one more thing, you'd know how to do, and that's

always, a good thing, isn't it?! [biggrin]

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

One of the best things anyone ever said to me was loose the silly short string and tune like a guitar. It works and gives you a unique sounding 4 string guitar. That said, it's easier than you might think to learn the basics.

Methinks:

Even if you don't PLAY the Banjo, it certainly does not hurt to have one at the house and at the ready. It is a very useful tool and accesory to have, even if just to have it for others to play, and possibly for someone else to play while you play along.

As a guitar player: real guitar players have instruments they don't need. Part of being a guitar player. It the guitar players code of ethics: you don't have to know how to play it well to own it.

As for learning how to play it, you likely already can play some things on it already being a guitar player, might be cool to discover what they are. There is a whole different style of banjo strumming as well related to 20's jazz and such, where the banjo is purely a rythm instrument, and this music is not "bluegrass" or country in the least.

In addition to that, there is the open G tuning, which IS a guitar tuning for certain things, and doesn't hurt to know. Same can be said for the typical "banjo rolls". So, learning some things on guitar or banjo work both ways, in that you don't HAVE to be a "banjo player" to know how to play it, and you aren't wasting your time on either instrument.

Last but not least, knowing the slightest bit of what it takes to play other instruments, even if you CAN'T play them proficiently, makes one a better musician.

On a personal note, I am having a tough time this year with the "gift giving" thing. I can also relate to getting gifts that make you feel bad because you didn't want or need. Even giving or recieving gifts at all. But if you can man up enough to actually PLAY the banjo, which to some guitar players is the worst form of torture, I would have to say I was humbled to be in your presence.

I noted that the guitar is an Epi... didn't recognize it though??? Old style tuners...

Sounded good, assuming that's the guitar actually playing.

I doubt that's the banjo being played, although I could be all wrong.

m

I noted that the guitar is an Epi... didn't recognize it though??? Old style tuners...

Sounded good, assuming that's the guitar actually playing.

I doubt that's the banjo being played, although I could be all wrong.

m

I believe it was originally played by Eric Weissberg

I'm thinking about keeping it but I'm still going to talk to the owner of the music store to see if I can trade it in for something else. We'll see... I try and get some pics up tomorrow...

Challenge yourself for one week. For all you know you take to it.

I always wanted to try it.

Banjos are a blast to play....Music theory works on the banjo as well as the guitar. I'd keep it....Good luck. [thumbup]

+1. I have a banjo and a uke. While tuned a bit different, it's not that hard (although I tend to spend most of my time with my guitars) and as CB pointed out, banjo players are few and far between (maybe for good reason LOL), but also just might be that extra little "thing". Check out Mumford & Sons.

But that's just me. I'm an old '60's "folkie guy" so I've always liked what a banjo can do in the right environment.

As for pointers, etc. as already pointed out, YouTube is your friend.

Just took some pis of the banjo... The truth is, it's a beautiful instrument and was a wonderful gift so I may just keep it... Was looking at some "how to" videos on YouTube yesterday and I got it tuned up. Anyway here it is...

\L1090284.jpg

L1090286.jpg

L1090287.jpg

L1090285.jpg

It's a bango in vintage flame burst... :blink:

Just took some pis of the banjo...

Wow, that's a beauty. And a 5-string. I used to have a 5-string long-neck. They're easier to play than a guitar - only four strings to fret! With zillions of instructional videos on the internet these days, I'm sure you can pick up a picking style. Banjos are fun to play!

Archived