Gibson Brands Forums

Just wasn't meant to be...

daveinspain

Ever buy a guitar you thought you loved or just had to have only to find out after you bought it something wasn't quite right? I can think of only one important purchase I made that that left me empty. Believe it or not it was an ES 339... I bought it sight unseen when they first came out. Got caught up in the hype I guess. I really though I was going to love this guitar. Had it shipped to Spain from Boston. It was a beautiful guitar in vintage sunburst. When I opened the case and saw it I was very excited but when I played it it just sounded dead. The factory set up was horrible. I tinkered around with it a lot and got it sounding good but I never bonded with it... Ended up trading it for a Gretsch Chet Atkins signature 6120. Haven't really bonded with that either... [bored]

ES 339

\FullviewinCase.jpg

Gretch 6120

Full.jpg

These are both great guitars, just didn't click for me...

Yup. Explorers. I wanted one so badly, when I graduated college in 1987 (they were the metalhead's antidote to Super-Strats at the time). But as I discovered to my chagrin, the body shape just doesn't work if you sling a guitar up high like I do. The upper horn/bout gets in the way of your right arm. Strats of any style and me, are a big fat "meh!" I thought Teles were the same way until last year, when I finally ran into some that clicked with me (a Thinline I had to sell, and my present Esquire). 335s are great guitars, but I just don't care for the Mickey Mouse shaped cutaways. It's too bad. The Ibanez AS120 I had was a nice guitar. Oh well.

Done a bit of "Trading" this past year, or so. Culled out the guitars, that I just never

really played, that much. It was never a case of them being "bad" guitars, ever! But,

like some of you, I just never experienced the kind of "bonding" I thought I would, initially.

So, I've traded (6 of them) for 3, that I DO really, really LOVE! Way past the "honeymoon"

stage, as well. And, since the ones I traded, were not overly "expensive," I actually did

just fine, trade value wise, on getting the (more expensive) variety, that I now own.

So, all is well! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Yes and no. I've had a couple guitars I didn't like as much as I thought I would, but soon as I got rid of them I wanted them back! All acoustics, I still have every electric I've ever bought.

Same happened with an Amp. I had an Epiphone 210c (JC90 knockoff) that I never used and got rid of. A week later I had a gig that required a Jazz Guitar and amp. Had the guitar, just got rid of the amp [cursing]

The recent Black Beauty thread reminded me of the LP Custom I owned for several years and sold in the late 70's. A very, very nice guitar but I never got on with the Fretless Wonder neck. It's the only guitar I ever sold that I do not regret at some level.

It's kinda odd...

My 175.

Got it; switched strings for various flats, just didn't bond.

25 years later, took it out, switched flats for 9-42. Now madly in love to the point I got a cupla subs so she could stay home.

Have four dreads. Never play 'em. Instead for an AE I'm almost always using a cheapie little Epi PR5e. It just plain feels nicer regardless of more "boom" on the bigger boxes that all cost a lot more.

Life's odd, perhaps.

m

In 2007-8 I bought a Songwriter Deluxe Koa. Saw it in the store. Played it for an hour and took it home. Sold it some 8-9 months later to a member of a Praise band. Just could not bond with it. I played it a lot, but I was making myself play it. It didn't call to me like my other Gibsons or my HD28. About two years ago I think I found why I sold it. I was on the AGF and there was a discussion about how the Songwriter was Gibson's response to some of the Taylor models and some people thought it looked like a Taylor...lol...That must have been it, because I can't warm-up to Taylor........I wouldn't rule-out another Songwriter down-the-line, but right now it's kind of doubtful.

This one was the biggest disappointment. Not the fault of the guitar; I just wasn't really a Tele Player then and still haven't really got the hang of them now.

I loved the guitar in principle. One of the first '60 Re-issues of the Custom. I saw it in the window of my local dealer in late-'84 and part-x'd a '72(?) maple-necked Strat for it.

Sold it about a year later.

I'd like to have it again to see if I could get the hang of it nowadays but still have my doubts. Big Pity.

I don't have any good pictures of it but here's one I snapped when a mate was tooling around with it.

TeleCustom72dpi_zps8e0a5882.jpg

P.

Pitty, one of the better looking Tele's Ive seen...

Yes. I thought so too....lol!

I don't want to derail the thread, Dave, but I think that was actually part of the problem. That snap doesn't even remotely do it justice. In the 'flesh' it really was a beautiful guitar.

Stupid and irrational as it sounds, If it wasn't as pretty my expectations of it might have been more 'realistic'.

Ah well...

P.

yes, my first bought acoustic, some Epiphone Elvis in the 90's, looked the part and sounded ok in the shop. After 2 days at home she went back and I swapped her for a second hand Tanglewood TW15.

Funny I had to rack my brain to remember the Epiphone, but the Tanglewood was the one that got away [crying]

Guess I am fortunate to have many small and large guitar shops nearby where I can go and play the guitars before purchasing one. I have often seen ads or videos of a guitar that I thought would be great for me, but when I went and played one it didn't work. Thus I have avoided purchasing one I became disappointed with. But I cannot see how anyone could purchase a guitar over the internet unless there was a money back guarantee. To me it is like buying a pair of shoes without trying them on.

Archived