Gibson Brands Forums

Alternate tunings?

Ryan H

We've all heard the E Standard, the Eb Standard and the Drop-D. But what other odd (or not-so odd) alternate tunings have you tried before? I'll start us off.

Recently I've experimented with All Fourths tuning (EADGCF) and Augmented Fourths tuning (CF#CF#CF#).

All Fourths is Just different enough than E Standard to get your brain working. It's Standard without that Major 3rd throwing everything off.

Augmented Fourths tuning is just my way of challenging myself and improving my dexterity. Each pair of strings is half an octave apart.

Feel free to just state the tunings you use, or give an explanation of why/how you use them like I did.

-Ryan

I play some Drop D on my standard guitars, because it adds some different tones to particular songs. And, it's easy. On my squareneck dobros I play Open G and Open D. Again, because it's easy. I think alternate tunings are a great way to expand what you're doing. They're fairly easy to pick-up on, yet there are enough differences from standard tuning that make you look deeper into the tuning and your technique. If you dig into the tunings, they'll increase your knowledge and ability. And equally important, they're a lot of fun.

^^^yep, that is what I've been playing this week. I did not change strings or set the guitar for it, I get no buzzing and sounds great.

Tomorrow, I am planning to tune down another 1/2 step to get to C# tunning and jam to Black Sabbath's Children of the Grave.

Thanks Riffster,, You had to go and mention the open G tuning on a dobro didn't ya..lol.

That was my favorite tuning for my dobro. When we had kids and I wasn't playing I traded it for a damn dining room set.

I miss my dobro now,, thanks .. lol

But I do like the sound of that whole step D standard tuning. That is an alternate tuning that won't hurt my old brain too much.

I might give that one a go.

At one point a long time ago I messed with a lotta tunings.

Once every cupla years I'll tune a guitar to open G. Then again, fingerings are similar to a banjo's open G.

Izzy... try open G and be more relaxed, with or without a bottleneck. In the olden days when lipstick cases were metal, I used an appropriate-sized one on my left pinkie finger... but only used it in any given song perhaps 5 percent of the time.

Why easier on the pinkie? Because it's weaker and you're less likely to feel that you have problems sliding on a low-action guitar.

Another point of consideration with such as open G is to play in the key of C which gives you a lot of fretboard up and down to mess with. Or in A depending on the piece.

m

My tele is tuned to DGDGBG (I think that is called open G by many) to play Stones music. Also South City Midnight Lady is played in this tuning as is a bunch of other stuff like the Black Crows. I really enjoy it.

I don't mess a whole lot with open tunings just out of laziness. But sometimes do go to Open G for a change. I like Open E too, but it is very straining on the neck, so I just tune that tuning down another whole step to Open D like Farnsbarns said. I used that one while learning "Little Martha" a few years ago.

3 of my Strats are in E flat, the Telecaster (1400 miles away) is in open G. I've also used open A. The Duolian is in open G most of the time, but when I bought it it was in open C which was a blast, and I've gone back to it from time to time. Would like another to keep in that tuning. Used drop D just a little to mess around with, haven't explored it as much as I'd like to. Most switched between with the Robot Les Paul Jr. Special is standard and open G.

You music theory people make me soooooooooooo............................JEALOUS! Yep, I admit it. I can only grasp the simple stuff, but all that long haired good stuff, that I think ALL musicians should know, I will never be able to learn. :-({|=

Really, you should try some of these. Just noodle around a bit, you'll be amazed. Many of these tunings (especially the open ones) are quite simple to work with, and a lot of fun to boot.

Archived