Gibson Brands Forums

Let's See Your Epiphones !

Old Rocker 59

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one model that I would love to own. What did you do to this in rebuilding it? Did you change out the electronics etc? I'd love to know this because I'm hoping that one day I might be able to purchase one.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne..... the only part that is still stock Epiphone is the body, the truss rod cover and the raw neck.

I had all the wiring replaced with silver and cloth wire, all the pots changed to original CTS 500K ones, Jensen paper in oil .022 capacitors, Volume bleed circuts on both volume controls, Switchcraft Jacks and 3 way switch, Gibson Deluxe tuning gears, Gibson ABR1 bridge, Gibson aluminum stop bar tail piece, Gibson gold top hat knobs, Gibson Varitone circuit, Stainless steel frets ( leveled/dressed & polished) a hand made beautifully crafted vintage polished unbleached bone nut and Golden Age Parson's Street "PAF" pickups... Alnico5 at the neck and Alnico2 at the bridge. In case your wondering why I did this... because I wanted this particular guitar to be the very best it could possibly be. Because I adore it. Of all the countless guitars I have had in over 55 years of playing both professionally and now in retirement this one is my all time favorite bar none no matter what name was on the headstock.

Wayne..... the only part that is still stock Epiphone is the body, the truss rod cover and the raw neck.

I had all the wiring replaced with silver and cloth wire, all the pots changed to original CTS 500K ones, Jensen paper in oil .022 capacitors, Volume bleed circuts on both volume controls, Switchcraft Jacks and 3 way switch, Gibson Deluxe tuning gears, Gibson ABR1 bridge, Gibson aluminum stop bar tail piece, Gibson gold top hat knobs, Gibson Varitone circuit, Stainless steel frets ( leveled/dressed & polished) a hand made beautifully crafted vintage polished unbleached bone nut and Golden Age Parson's Street "PAF" pickups... Alnico5 at the neck and Alnico2 at the bridge. In case your wondering why I did this... because I wanted this particular guitar to be the very best it could possibly be. Because I adore it. Of all the countless guitars I have had in over 55 years of playing both professionally and now in retirement this one is my all time favorite bar none no matter what name was on the headstock.

Thanks for all the detailed info regarding all the changes made in your message earlier. Considering all your years of playing and the extensive list of guitars you have owned, that's quite a statement to say that your refitted Epi is your favorite. It would behoove one then to purchase an Epiphone and then invest some money changing out all its parts and end up with a guitar similar, if not better than a more expensive comparable Gibson. Something for me to consider down the road. I have always wanted a Gibson, but can't justify the huge cost for one. I'll leave them to the heavy wallet brigade.

Cheers

Wayne

Here are my guitars. Love 'em all.

148j41d.jpg

xmv5nm.jpg

tr0w22egyofosudsxtgb.jpg

28ryx45.jpg

1991 Fender Stratocaster Plus, Sperzel Hardware, Fender Mid-Boost and Lace Sensors Gold

1996 Epiphone Sheraton II, Schaller Roller Bridge, Gibson TP-6 Tailpiece (fine-tuner), Gotoh Locking Nut, Gibson Classic '57n and Seymour Duncan '59

1996 Epiphone EJ200, Seymour Duncan Mag Mic and Shadow Piezo

1998 Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Schaller Roller Bridge, Gibson TP-6 Tailpiece (fine-tuner), Gotoh Locking Nut, Seymour Duncan 59n and Seymour Duncan Custom 5

2006 Gibson Les Paul Special, DiMarzion DLX Plus(n) and DiMarzio Tone Zone

N/A Samick Telecaster Artist Series, Seymour Duncan Jazz(n) and Seymour Duncan Little '59

Here are my guitars. Love 'em all.

148j41d.jpg

xmv5nm.jpg

tr0w22egyofosudsxtgb.jpg

28ryx45.jpg

1991 Fender Stratocaster Plus, Sperzel Hardware, Fender Mid-Boost and Lace Sensors Gold

1996 Epiphone Sheraton II, Schaller Roller Bridge, Gibson TP-6 Tailpiece (fine-tuner), Gotoh Locking Nut, Gibson Classic '57n and Seymour Duncan '59

1996 Epiphone EJ200, Seymour Duncan Mag Mic and Shadow Piezo

1998 Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Schaller Roller Bridge, Gibson TP-6 Tailpiece (fine-tuner), Gotoh Locking Nut, Seymour Duncan 59n and Seymour Duncan Custom 5

2006 Gibson Les Paul Special, DiMarzion DLX Plus(n) and DiMarzio Tone Zone

N/A Samick Telecaster Artist Series, Seymour Duncan Jazz(n) and Seymour Duncan Little '59

That's a very nice collection. I like the Samick Tele. I believe that is a Korean model, as I know their pianos are of first class quality.

Question. The signature on the amp - is that signed by one of the owners of Marshal equipment?

Cheers

Wayne

That's a very nice collection. I like the Samick Tele. I believe that is a Korean model, as I know their pianos are of first class quality.

Question. The signature on the amp - is that signed by one of the owners of Marshal equipment?

Cheers

Wayne

Hello Wayne. Thanks man.

I got that Tele for a steal. It is indeed a high quality Samick instrument, pretty heavy and very well made. I heard while Samick use to make guitars for a lot of other brands, they used to select the best materials and QC process for their own instruments. There is a lot of misconceptions about Korean made instruments and I still believe that the best judge is yourself when it comes to choose the instruments you really like. I love it, not to mention it is beautiful. Unfortunately I can't find any info on its background and Samick just never returned my emails asking about it... it's an orphan...

That head is a JCM800 2203x (reissue). The original owner bought it at NAMM in 2002 when it was first relaunched and Jim Marshall himself signed it for him. I happened to stumble across it and ended up buying it. I don't really care for that signature but it is there and it's a cool feature. I thought about replacing that front grid and having it framed to hang it on the wall but that's too much hassle in my opinion. It looks cool anyway,

Hello Wayne. Thanks man.

I got that Tele for a steal. It is indeed a high quality Samick instrument, pretty heavy and very well made. I heard while Samick use to make guitars for a lot of other brands, they used to select the best materials and QC process for their own instruments. There is a lot of misconceptions about Korean made instruments and I still believe that the best judge is yourself when it comes to choose the instruments you really like. I love it, not to mention it is beautiful. Unfortunately I can't find any info on its background and Samick just never returned my emails asking about it... it's an orphan...

That head is a JCM800 2203x (reissue). The original owner bought it at NAMM in 2002 when it was first relaunched and Jim Marshall himself signed it for him. I happened to stumble across it and ended up buying it. I don't really care for that signature but it is there and it's a cool feature. I thought about replacing that front grid and having it framed to hang it on the wall but that's too much hassle in my opinion. It looks cool anyway,

That's an interesting story about the Marshall head. Its perhaps something worth keeping. Who knows what kind of value can be put on it years to come, especially if it turns out to be a collectible item, and with one of the owners signature - who knows. I guess I've been watching too many Antique Roadshow episodes msp_biggrin.gif. I would imagine the Samick Tele to of excellent quality. Many people have raved about instruments coming out of Korea over the years. Like your Marshall head, the Samick tele might also become a collectible item down the road. Things that aren't made anymore and become scarce usually do become a desirable item for collectors. Something to consider. But don't put them away in hopes of that. Just keep right on playing them. msp_thumbup.gif

Cheers

Wayne

My SG-400 Pro - got to be fastest guitar on earth. Really easy to play and I love the vintage sound the coil tapping brings. Just got my LesPaul Studio which have reduced my playing time for SG. But I really love my Epi! :)

qpnk84.jpg

I could not miss the opportunity to show off all the epis in one photo....forgive me.

epiphones004_zps98ee41cf.jpg

epiphones009_zps8aebf97d.jpg

epiphones014_zps0b0d3017.jpg

Forgive me? There's nothing to forgive. We all love seeing photos of everyone's guitar - collections. Thanks for providing the shots. Oh beautiful they are!!

Cheers

Wayne

here is another Epiphone I own that I like a lot.

My Black Beauty Custom ( Frampton style) LP.

It has also been completely re-done from the ground up.

DSCN2438_zps147e2f60.jpg

Jason Lollar Imperial pickups, Forrester hand crafted & polished bone nut, Gibson ABR bridge, CTS pots, Vintage Silver & cloth wiring, Jensen NOS PIO capacitors, Volume bleed circuts, Switchcraft jack and switch, Gibson gold top knobs , Gibson Deluxe tuning gears, medium jumbo stainless frets.

A real nice player with solid tone & good balance from note to note.

Not all of my Epiphones but three of the five and these are my three favorites. All 1989 Epi Les Paul Customs - the first year Epiphone offered an official Les Paul Standard and Custom model. All with the tapered open book headstock. I loathe the Epiphone "boat paddle" and actually prefer this tapered headstock to the official Gibson headstock. Many people think these are fakes (including the gurus over at the mylespaul forum) and I love them for it. Their "expertise" chases buyers away and I pick these great guitars up for a song. I also have a honey sunburst tiger eye 1989 Epi Les Paul standard that my girlfriend's son currently has on permanent loan.

epilespauls.jpg

epihoneysunburststd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would show a couple up dates to my Sherry 2 and ES-335 Pro, New pickguard and witch hat knobs on the pro and a new pickguard on the sherry! Ill post a new family picture if and when my UJ Sherry gets here!

DSCF4675.jpg

Where did you obtain the flower scratch plate ? looks cool with the vine headmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_smile.gif

Archived