Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

awel

So the white SG std 2014 is gone ...

I am old school player and I am not so into high tech stuff on a guitar.

-> I bring it back to the shop and did a exchange with ... Fender Telecaster Richie Kotzen signature, I know I am slipping slowly to the dark side but I like it

19649706-200B-43E5-9B6E-A12A4527F799_zpsn7z7ujx8.jpg

39E4BC2B-0EEE-4402-9BC2-FB6188FCF43A_zpsebe6opj4.jpg

FFF96387-7CB6-43E1-8C7B-8C4A17C4139F_zpsewsfx9aa.jpg

07B5DF5E-C6B8-45A3-976E-47BF348A1DB5_zpssbo0v3ae.jpg

I become a Tele guy :)

That guitar is f#$*ing beautiful! It reminds me so much of the 40th anniversary Teles that I love so much...I'll definitely be building a guitar like this in the future...

Sunburst Tele + Binding + Maple fretboard + Gold hardware = My perfect Tele...

-Ryan

That guitar is f#$*ing beautiful! It reminds me so much of the 40th anniversary Teles that I love so much...I'll definitely be building a guitar like this in the future...

-Ryan

[thumbup]

-Ryan

absolutely. ive never owned a Tele and Im not sure why, cuz I love them. thats beautiful

beautiful guitar!! with what's effectively a humbucker in the bridge too.......

now THAT'S a great score!!

ever wonder why Fenders' "gimmicks" (S1 switching, Greasebucket, tone bypass, etc.) seem to go over so much better than Gibsons?

yeah, me too.

ever wonder why Fenders' "gimmicks" (S1 switching, Greasebucket, tone bypass, etc.) seem to go over so much better than Gibsons?

yeah, me too.

Gibson is a company built on tradition. Fender is a company built on innovation. First bolt-on necks, then bolt-on necks with Micro-Tilt, then contoured bolt-on necks. The 6-screw synchronized tremolo, then the 2-post synchronized trem (which was kinda borrowed from Floyd Rose). Nitro finishes to poly. Gibson has been at this a lot longer. People expect them to stick to tradition.

I think it's also the fact that Fenders are much easier to modify. Don't like the control layout or pickup configuration? Buy a new pickguard, maybe do a little routing, but the guitar will still look like it came stock like that. Want to do that with a Les Paul? Prepare for wood filling and a refin...

-Ryan

Gibson is a company built on tradition. Fender is a company built on innovation. First bolt-on necks, then bolt-on necks with Micro-Tilt, then contoured bolt-on necks. The 6-screw synchronized tremolo, then the 2-post synchronized trem (which was kinda borrowed from Floyd Rose). Nitro finishes to poly. Gibson has been at this a lot longer. People expect them to stick to tradition.

I think it's also the fact that Fenders are much easier to modify. Don't like the control layout or pickup configuration? Buy a new pickguard, maybe do a little routing, but the guitar will still look like it came stock like that. Want to do that with a Les Paul? Prepare for wood filling and a refin...

-Ryan

all good points, except i'm not so sure as to the "tradition vs. innovation" point......every year, the 1st LPs, & Jrs saw changes, some pretty massive, thru what '58?...same with hollows and semis....then came the '58 NAMM show & Gibson went crazy w/innovation, then the '61 LP...OMG...tradition? NOT !! (the '60s thru now are a separate story of innovations that my computer doesn't have the memory to post)

i'm not bashing Gibson as some of their innovations have been very well received.

once the origional Broadcaster & Strat were established, they remained basically the same until, well...now.

add the Jaggy & Jazzy that are still, basically the same.

Fenders had their share of duds too....origional Starcaster/Coronado...Bullet series, etc.

I know, apples & oranges.....I like a bite of both.

That's nice! [thumbup] Does the coil on that devil pickup split for a single coil sound? [biggrin]

thanks, no pickup split, but the tone knob is not a tone knob :) it's a series/parallel switch for the middle position of the pickup selector.

Fenders had their share of duds too....origional Starcaster/Coronado...Bullet series, etc.

I was a huge fan of both of those in their original form and they had become very sought after collectibles. I was even trying to get my hands on a Vintage Starcaster back as far as the mid 1990's, (unsuccessfully as they were out of this starving guitarists range even then) when I was a Fender snob...

Now Fender has seen the light and reissued both...

In that era I even gave up my very first electric guitar; a Memphis brand, Japanese made, lawsuit era Les Paul copy (used) in tobaccoburst, for a new Fender Bullet because it was shaped like a strat even though it was a slab body like a Tele... That was probably the worst guitar move I ever made... That one gives me pangs of guilt and embarrassment to this day!

So I'll grant you the Bullet... It was their first run at an economy model/line pre-Squire...

I eventually traded it in toward my '89 Torino Red American Standard Strat...

About the only fender I care about any more is possibly a Tele... Althouh I will confess to the coveting of the reissue Starcaster...

That Tele is gorgeous!!!

all good points, except i'm not so sure as to the "tradition vs. innovation" point......every year, the 1st LPs, & Jrs saw changes, some pretty massive, thru what '58?...same with hollows and semis....then came the '58 NAMM show & Gibson went crazy w/innovation, then the '61 LP...OMG...tradition? NOT !! (the '60s thru now are a separate story of innovations that my computer doesn't have the memory to post)

i'm not bashing Gibson as some of their innovations have been very well received.

once the origional Broadcaster & Strat were established, they remained basically the same until, well...now.

add the Jaggy & Jazzy that are still, basically the same.

I know, apples & oranges.....I like a bite of both.

I have to be honest, I miss my white SG reissue 61, and I was hoping that these 2014 std with old school pickguard, and the 57 pickup will do it but it doesn't... sadly, it it doesn't have the mojo, and I wanted to test it before having an opinion, but the forced minietune is a bad idea, it is usefull for people that have one guitar and that needs to switch tuning a lot of times, but for most of the player that have more than one guitar, it is useless, plus, the robotic sounds of auto-tuning is annoying sounds like a bad Robocop sound FX :)

Like some of you have perhaps noticed, I've discovered Tele with my Am special and I absolutely felt in love with Tele feels like home, so natural. Of course I have my baby, Black Beauty Custom, that is very special to me, and I still dream about a R8 or if I dream further a R9 but the Tele does it for me. I think Gibson should go back on track and propose std series with no added new tech inside, just pickup, condensator, Kluson machine head, normal jack etc ...

but this is just my humble opinion :)

HNGD!!

That's one beautiful guitar from the color to the gold appointments. SOMEONE did a perfect job with that color scheme to the MAX.

Love it. I missed something, is the bridge coil a bucker or S.C. or does it split?

Aster

HNGD!!

That's one beautiful guitar from the color to the gold appointments. SOMEONE did a perfect job with that color scheme to the MAX.

Love it. I missed something, is the bridge coil a bucker or S.C. or does it split?

Aster

Thanks

According to Dimarzio,

The Chopper T™ Bridge

DP384

The Chopper T™ Bridge is the louder, punchier brother of the Fast Track T™. More power is concentrated in the mids and low end for a bigger sound with more crunch. It shares the same side-by-side coils and twin-blade construction as the Fast Track T™, so there are no string alignment or magnet-pull problems. And of course, there’s no noise.

So it is a humbucker with more dynamic :)

She is a beauty, awel, and I'll bet she plays great.

I traded my Studio LP even for an American Standard Tele with a Dimarzio Tone Zone S split humbucker in the bridge. I love the stock neck single coil, nice and warm for a single coil, but I'll usually play it in the center position with the bridge pup in humbucker mode. I love the sound.

1227121945c_zps7aabaab7.jpg

For a Tele, the neck on mine is pretty slim, which is what I like.

Archived