Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your SG's

cody78

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know, i've seen some ugly guitars in my day, but this one takes the cake. I'm actually embarrassed for you CB, the fact that you own this, and would even consider posting a picture of it. i will take it off your hands for you, for a fair price, just so you will no longer feel the humiliation and public scorn for owning such a Pariah.

Yeah, Karloff...I tend to feel sorry for "ugly" [scared] guitars, as I know they never get the "love" that the beauties do. :unsure:

So, I would feel like I had abandoned it, if I passed it along. [crying] I think my dealer (E.M. Shorts) may have 1 or 2 of them left,

if you are feeling particularly charitable? [biggrin]

CB

Yeah, Karloff...I tend to feel sorry for "ugly" [scared] guitars, as I know they never get the "love" that the beauties do. :unsure:

So, I would feel like I had abandoned it, if I passed it along. [crying] I think my dealer (E.M. Shorts) may have 1 or 2 of them left,

if you are feeling particularly charitable? [biggrin]

CB

yea, but i'd rather help you out buddy. just cuz i like you. lol

OK...I took her out to play; and here's a raw video using the SG...excuse the use of phone video... :rolleyes:

...a short typical fun jam for an oldie. The video was upside down and I had to make it upright...geeze. Also, sorry, don't know the names of the other players.

OK...I took her out to play; and here's a raw video using the SG...excuse the use of phone video... :rolleyes:

...a short typical fun jam for an oldie. The video was upside down and I had to make it upright...geeze. Also, sorry, don't know the names of the other players.

Thank you for putting the video up, really enjoyed the jam, put a smile on my face :)

My 2011 50th Anniversary Standard 24. Put cream plastics on her and grovers for awhile,|(this was the start of the transformation with just the toggle washer) but, she;s back to stock as of now...

Standard24.jpg

Decked out in cream with a custom pickguard from Terrapin Island....(PU spacing is different than 61 Re-Issue)

IMGA0583.jpg

Now that I'm pretty well done modding my '61 Reissue I figure it's about time to share some pics. I Swapped the stock bridge '57 Classic for a Zebra '57 Classic Plus, put on a Bigsby B5 with a little help from Vibramate (which, while it's a genius little piece of metal, it mounts the Bigsby WAY too close to the bridge for my liking) and swapped the black/silver top hat knobs for black speed knobs and took the toggle switch washer off, which really cleans the look of the guitar up. The only things left to do will have to wait for the summer when I have a job and some money, at which time I'll get a bone nut put on and I'll also have the Bigsby permanently mounted, but it'll be an inch or two further back. Enjoy.IMG_0389_zpsfa585a88.jpgIMG_0392_zpsfba3f97a.jpg

...I'll get a bone nut put on and I'll also have the Bigsby permanently mounted,...

That's the way to do it. Go all the way or go home is what I like to say with Bigsbys.

Sweet SG too. Love that yellow color.

That's the way to do it. Go all the way or go home is what I like to say with Bigsbys.

Sweet SG too. Love that yellow color.

I'd have to agree with that. The Vibramate is incredibly solid and there's no play at all once the Vibramate and the Bigsby are mounted, but unless you like the Bigsby right close to the bridge, it's not so great. And the yellow color is pretty rad. Can't go wrong with a yellow SG.

Thank you for putting the video up, really enjoyed the jam, put a smile on my face :)

Thanks...Yeah... guess that's what it's all about! Get an SG and jam with like minded guys! It's fun to just get up and play with others who you just met. I love the interactions between everybody....it usually works out great and sometimes it's challenging trying to all work together. In this jam, none of us knew each other that night. After a few bars...LOL.. sounded like we were a regular band. A couple more brass joined in and...wham...it's a full sounding band! msp_smile.gif

Here is my new-to-me '86 SG Special 400 and daily player and ongoing restoration project.

A bad paint job by previous owner, trying to cover what i believe was the stock pink.

post-69752-031855700 1420597195_thumb.jpg

Never seen one of those before with that interesting pickup/ switch layout - how does it sound & play? I found some pics on the internet of them and see the stock pink finish you mentioned. What was Gibson thinking with that colour finish?! It certainly looks better in black IMO. What colour are you going use?

I found some pics on the internet of them and see the stock pink finish you mentioned. What was Gibson thinking with that colour finish?!

The 80s were a train wreck of a decade fashion wise; a lot of neon greens, pinks, and oranges.

Archived