Gibson Brands Forums

My instructor wouldn't be happy to know this

btoth76

Hello!

After the third lesson my instructor told me to slow down. I have been learning intervals and triads, but kept on asking questions about seventh chords. She told me not to bother with them yet...

...but I couldn't help myself. I have made seventh chords from the triads of my recent homework and came up with this little song.

It is what it is, but I enjoyed composing it. I found it very interesting how much it ignores most of the rules of music theory.

Cheers... Bence

That the instructor is happy or not doesn't matter.

You should be happy with it!

And I am happy too, that does sound sweet, perfect for a relaxing walk at the beach.msp_thumbup.gif

I only have one problem with it......

I'm at work and not at the beach!dry.gif

Ahhh, lovely 57's.

Muy bien amigo!

msp_biggrin.gif

Saludos!

Hello!

Thanks Marcos! Would be nice indeed, instead of sitting in an office. :D

@Carranoj25. I've been playing on an off since early-90s, but only a couple of weeks ago decided to train myself properly, with the support of a professional.

Cheers... Bence

I found it very interesting how much it ignores most of the rules of music theory.

The idea Bence is learn all the rules, then go about breaking every single one!

that's where you find the magic.

[thumbup]

I did give your track a listen, nice work for your 1st attempt at this.

save it, do some more, and come back in a few years.

you'll like being able to go back to this down the road.

Hello Ray!

Indeed!

Perfect example is Jeff Beck's "'Cause we ended as lovers". That song sounds so exciting, so soulful. But I can't understand what is going on there. Sometimes it's C minor, then suddenly G minor pentatonic. Very confusing.

However, I have no clue either what is going on in my song. Basically, it's four chords: F# major - F major - H major -5th/add. minor 2nd - C major inverted. The solo over it is in A minor pentatonic/diatonic with D# and A# added here and there. Makes no sense, but I like it's aura. Interesting.

Cheers... Bence

I did give your track a listen, nice work for your 1st attempt at this.

save it, do some more, and come back in a few years.

you'll like being able to go back to this down the road.

Thank You Ray!

I'll take Your advice.

Best wishes... Bence

Basically, it's four chords: F# major - F major - H major -5th/add. minor 2nd - C major inverted.

H major? You really have gone outside of theory for that one! [scared]

:)

The piece sounded good though. The chord progression is kind of wandering. Of course, jazz can break rules. A big part of theory is about "going home." You start a piece in a "home" chord, you leave home, you modulate, you play, but eventually you want to get back home at the end. The "dominant" or 5 chord is a powerful precursor that naturally leads back home. In any case, love that thick lead guitar atop the underlying chordal pallette!

H major? You really have gone outside of theory for that one! [scared]

:)

The piece sounded good though. The chord progression is kind of wandering. Of course, jazz can break rules. A big part of theory is about "going home." You start a piece in a "home" chord, you leave home, you modulate, you play, but eventually you want to get back home at the end. The "dominant" or 5 chord is a powerful precursor that naturally leads back home. In any case, love that thick lead guitar atop the underlying chordal pallette!

Hello!

The thick lead is achieved with a Les Paul Classic Custom, played with it's neck pickup on (tone at 6). For both tracks I have used the Zoom R24 recorder's built-in effects (acoustic simulation, chorus, reverb).

I guess, I was wrong with H major, it's E minor with C# added. Sorry, I am at the beginning of the journey...I don't know where did I get that other chord from (probably another cacophony is forming inside [scared])

Thank You for Your thoughts. I am curious about these things, maybe it's even too much at this moment. I have lot to learn. Fortunately, my instructor is really great at teaching. :)

Best wishes... Bence

Nigel: Within the traditional musical context, when you get to G#, that's it. Where do you go after G#?

Interviewer: Back to A?

Nigel: ..well, yeah, but that's just starting over. With this new approach, you can go further. One more.

Interviewer: One more than G#?

Nigel: Right, one more. H. The H chord. The H note. The H scale.

-Ryan

Nice one man.. I liked that....

And yep I agree with the above.. It seems that the idea of learning how to play with your heart is to learn as much as you can mechanically then forget it all and try using your skills to come up with unique new and interesting things...

Surely that's the whole point of music and art???

Theres a vid here where the guys explains it better than I have heard anywhere.. (at about 1:20 in)

I know that in Germany (and perhaps other european countries), 'H' translates to 'B'. [smile]

Ah, OK! Got it!

Indeed! In Hungarian B is "H". What we call "B" is H flat.

Sorry for that, I wasn't aware of that. Too much is stirring in my head already. [unsure]

Cheers... Bence

Nice one man.. I liked that....

And yep I agree with the above.. It seems that the idea of learning how to play with your heart is to learn as much as you can mechanically then forget it all and try using your skills to come up with unique new and interesting things...

Surely that's the whole point of music and art???

Theres a vid here where the guys explains it better than I have heard anywhere.. (at about 1:20 in)

Thanks, Rabs!

I know that video. Probably, the best I've seen. Also, my instructor's approach is similiar. I have to name intervals and chords, by indentifying them through singing them out.

Cheers... Bence

Sounded great, especially the bluesy ending. My jazz instructor told me to learn all the theory I could and then to learn to forgot about it all when doing my solos. It's the old Yoda wisdom of "You must unlearn what you have learned."

Very nice Bence!

I learn something every day. I have never heard of H, I thought you were joking like Spinal Tap.

Keep it up, you are walking the walk!

Btw I think 7ths are great.

Hello!

Thank You all for compliments.

It's not a masterpiece, but what is important about it to me, that I could put the theory, - I have learned - into the practice. Even, if the theory is twisted out in this piece.

That's what I try to do. After every lesson, I try to use up the new information, and create something out of it.

Now, I have been learning about chord inversions. That's really mad, especially when it comes to augmented triads. [blink]

Well, H, sorry for the confusion. The theory uses different terms here, than in the English-speaking world. For example, we don't say "F sharp", we say "Fis" instead. "Des" for "D flat" and such. "Deses" for D double sharp...

Best wishes... Bence

Archived