Gibson Brands Forums

I have finally discovered the truth behind tone

Rabs

Ive been building guitars for two years now....

Today I finally realised the mistake every electric guitar company has been making since the dawn of time.....

This is the real way to get full true vintage classic passive active electro acoustic tone from your guitar

DSC_0128_zpshxfus2wa.jpg

there you go.. discussion over!!!

:D :D

Surely you need to turn them all up to 10 to get the most tone.

That may actually be too much tone for any person to handle... It would produce a tone so amazing that it would put anyone who is listening into a tonecoma...

:P

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm sure Rabs would never position his knobs in a way that meant the numbers were on the far side of the knob from the players view. I have faith in Rabs' intelect.

Nope, Rabs, you always need...

MORE TONE.

Cor dear, too much tone. Who ever heard of such a thing.

I'm sure Rabs would never position his knobs in a way that meant the numbers were on the far side of the knob from the players view. I have faith in Rabs' intelect.

Nope, Rabs, you always need...

Cor dear, too much tone. Who ever heard of such a thing.

:)

Well you've heard of the "brown note" haven't you...

A result of too much bass tone...

Guest Farnsbarns

Joking aside, there are more than a handful of threads over the years where someone has used, seemingly with all seriousness, the words "need more tone". If I'm honest I usally assume their mobile device has auto corrected a typo of 'talent' and got it wrong.

Joking aside, there are more than a handful of threads over the years where someone has used, seemingly with all seriousness, the words "need more tone". If I'm honest I usally assume their mobile device has auto corrected a typo of 'talent' and got it wrong.

I wonder if its just something we all have to go through...

You buy a guitar... I have a guitar, why don't I sound like Eric Clapton

You learn to play... I can play now, why don't I sound like Jimi Hendrix

You get some experience.... Ok I have been playing a while and learned technique and scales, why don't I sound like Jimmy Page

You buy the exact same guitar and amp your heroes played.... DAMN IT!! I just mortgaged my house for this, why don't I sound like David Gilmour yet

Then after 20 years you find out... You need more tone... you annoy everyone trying every pot, cap and pickup combination to find your tone...

Then you realise noting is going to work no matter what you do... and that's because YOU WILL NEVER SOUND LIKE ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ARE YOU!!!

Tone is nothing but subjective to your ears and expectations...

Very well put. =D>

The thing is that's not even the real kicker...

The real kick in the face after the search for tone is that you also eventually realise that your taste can totally change.. Like all of a sudden you play your amp and don't like whats coming out even though its on the same settings as when you last played and you thought your tone was great....

Lol... that's why its all crazy... the search for tone never ends as we are constantly changing creatures.

Tone = What ever the players mood is at any given time :)

[laugh]

This could be the subject of a whole new thread;

"Instead of the familiar 'Two Vol / Two Tone' knob set-up which would you prefer?"

A. Talent / Taste / Virtuosity / Un-noticed Plagiarism...

B. Originality / Mass Appeal / Sensitivity / Sex....

C. Money / Money / Money / Hell, why not? More Money...

D......

Etc...Ect...

Pip.

The endless variations in tone are extraordinary.

I was getting really good tone tonight at rehearsal (LP with P90s), very pleased with the way the pedals were interacting but as we all know there is a minimum volume to make any amp sing....now are those settings going to work on my Friday gig in a completely different room?

No - not possible, I expect to be tweaking.

Anyone ever have one of the A/DA valve preamps? Or a Mesa Triaxis?

[laugh]

This could be the subject of a whole new thread;

"Instead of the familiar 'Two Vol / Two Tone' knob set-up which would you prefer?"

A. Talent / Taste / Virtuosity / Un-noticed Plagiarism...

B. Originality / Mass Appeal / Sensitivity / Sex....

C. Money / Money / Money / Hell, why not? More Money...

D......

Etc...Ect...

Pip.

THAT's funny. LOL doesn't quite get it.

I have to say, "A" is pretty close to home with me. I might even need pedals for those.

Of corse, I would get serious gas for the "practice" pedal. Hopefully it's a looper pedal. With it's own daisy-chain.

Archived