Gibson Brands Forums

Daydream Believer cover on J-45

flatbaroque

Written by John Stewart of the Kingston Trio.He tells a good story on youtube.

His manager rang and asked "Have you got any songs the Monkees might like?"

"Sure" he said."Got one called Daydream Believer".

His manager got back to him."Great news, the Monkees like it.Only thing is the record company want to change the lyric ["now you know how funky life can be" to "now you know happy life can be".

John replied "No way it changes the whole meaning and it really doesn't make sense"

His manager "John if they don't change the lyric they won't record it"

John " Happy works well for me!"

I never bought any Monkees music but I have a soft spot for their catchy pop.I think they were on early morning Saturday TV here too, which as a kid was good times.

Two of my major musical influences have also covered it. Susan Boyle and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLfkL_A4yo

The old man, about 50 years ago, got a Kingston Trio record by mistake in a bargain bin while looking for Herp Albert's Biggest Hits or Jose Feliciano's Top 450, all to play at about whisper volume at half a watt. I have it somewhere! Daydream Believer is not on it.

Love it, FB! You add a degree of unhappy to the happy lyric, a touch of derision to the syrup pop of the original, topped off by the harp! [biggrin]

Keep it up and I could get you a job playing at a bar I use to play every Saturday afternoon and you can explain your motives to the 3 permanent bar polishers, Nails, Turps and Skids, only people I have seen eat an Alex's Hot Dog [mellow] ...another story for another time.

But I did watch the Monkees every night after school!

BluesKing777.

Thanks everyone!Such a nice reaction from you folks.It's a good song I think you'd all enjoy singing it.

Because it has such a strong melody it can survive my slightly downbeat approach and still sound ok.

I don't intentionally try to make happy songs less happy...just the way it comes out. [biggrin].

BK thanks for the gig offer..EA offered me one in Prague at a bar where ladies drink cocktails and smoke thin cigars.Yours playing to Skids, Turps and Nails is almost as tempting...almost.

Hey Jeff pretty cool you knew the guy that wrote it.He also said on Youtube that this song didn't just pay his rent...it saved his life.

This song has always stood out to me as being way better than what the Monkees brought to it. (And as a kid smack in the middle of their demographic, I loved it.🙄)

A while back, I had it in my rotation, so I may dig it up again.

I enjoyed this; thanks for keeping us on our old toes, John. 😉

Written by John Stewart of the Kingston Trio.He tells a good story on youtube.

His manager rang and asked "Have you got any songs the Monkees might like?"

"Sure" he said."Got one called Daydream Believer".

His manager got back to him."Great news, the Monkees like it.Only thing is the record company want to change the lyric ["now you know how funky life can be" to "now you know happy life can be".

John replied "No way it changes the whole meaning and it really doesn't make sense"

His manager "John if they don't change the lyric they won't record it"

John " Happy works well for me!"

I never bought any Monkees music but I have a soft spot for their catchy pop.I think they were on early morning Saturday TV here too, which as a kid was good times.

Two of my major musical influences have also covered it. Susan Boyle and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLfkL_A4yo

Just had to tell you I love this version, and smiled at the story. Added to my watch later list on youtube so I don't lose it. Thanks.

Archived