Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD. Larrivee Content.

bayoubengal1954

So after selling a couple of guitars I have had a hankering for a 12 fretter with a slotted headstock, a look back to those Pre-War Martin 12 fretters (some later issues had an "S" added to the end of the model). I wanted a 000 body with mahogany b/s. I had heard that Larrivee made some nice 12 fretters as part of the Traditional Series at a not crazy price. I had once owned a Larrivee 12 fretter with Maple b/s and enjoyed it but eventually realized I am not a maple guy and sold it to a guy in North Carolina who loves it.

Research indicated a Larrivee 000-50 would fill the bill for me. Mahogany b/s with a 1 13/16" nut, and a slightly larger soundhole to bring out a bit more low end. I found one! It's a 2005. Love the tone! A lot of low end, which is what I was hoping for. The wide nut and string spacing makes finger picking much easier, but strumming sounds great as well. Of course it doesn't have that Gibson thump (the J-50 handles that for me), but still enough bass for a non dread along with nice balance in tone across the board. Digging it!

zDCGCuI.jpg

x0YaBqU.jpg

VbXLEuV.jpg

hBuvwBp.jpg

vj5vcVm.jpg

I had the same itch a while back and didn't want to spend a lot so I picked this up.

I am a notorious cheapskate. A leftover 1930s Oscar Schmidt "Westbrook" Stella acquired by Harmony when they bought the guitar making end of the business and re-badged with the Granada moniker. $50 out the door which is probably $45 more than it originally cost. Everybody needs a little taste of decalomania.

Granada014_zps450cb608.jpg

I actually got to play one of these a few years ago in Sydney.How one of these found it's way to a big box Sydney shop was a not very common thing.For a while this chain was importing Larrivee's.

It was a wonderful instrument.

I think I was too influenced by playing that model and I bought a lower end Larrivee dread.Didn't compare to that model.

Oh, Wow!

There are some guitars which just look "Right" in every respect; IMO that Larrivee is one of them. Absolutely perfect.

I very very rarely get GAS nowadays but this guitar marks an exception to the rule. I'd have one of those in a heartbeat - if not sooner.

Many congrats!

Pip.

Archived