Gibson Brands Forums

String cleaner stuff (wax, oil, magic water)

Thundergod

A lot of kids come to the store asking for it, I refuse to sell that stuff, I find it gross and I also find it ridiculous to preffer to buy something to "clean up the strings and leave them as new" instead of buying a new set of strings. [cursing]

I must say this so nobody thinks I'm trying to sell more string sets: I would make a better profit selling that stuff than selling new strings.

Does any of you guys use that stuff? What are the benefits? I consider strings something that must be changed. Just like toilet paper... you don't wash it and put it on the dryer so you can use it again, you throw it and use some new stuff.

Strings get dirty and rusted with/by god knows what (we are talking about kids here) and people think some miracle product will clean them and leave them as new? [woot] I don't get it.

I like my strings to be a little used and played-in and rusted out (although I wash my hands before I play, and usually at a few points in between if I'm playing for more than 2 hours at a time, so I wouldn't say I like them dirty) because the sound mellows out and fattens up a little when the strings are a bit older. I've been thinking about trying out some flatwounds.

But no...I don't use string cleaner. When it's time to restring, it's time to restring.

I haven't changed strings in over a year. No, I haven't used string cleaner.

I have a bottle someone gave me, but it remains unopened.

If it's what they want and there's higher profit margin in it, sell it to them.

Some people are into frequent string changes, some aren't.

If you personally wouldn't use it, and they ask your opinion, be honest. But if they want it, carry it.

I usually change strings pretty often - as soon as the nickel plating rubs off the underside of the plain strings, like somewhere between three and ten hours of playing. I have used some string cleaner a few times when the strings got pretty gunky but they weren't worn enough to change. The stuff works great - it's just some kind of weak solvent.

I don't use fast fret - I go the opposite route. I like to keep my fingers hard and dry. The Fast Fret makes 'em soft and wet.

So Thunder, I take it you own or run a store?

I don't have any strong opinion one way or the other on string cleaner. I do use Finger Ease and it seems to prolong the life of my strings in addition to alowing my hand to slide a little easier on the neck.

But, IMO it might not be a good business practice to refuse to carry a product if there is a demand for it, based on your personal opinion. I know it's just a small product, but there is a chance you could alienate your customers if they feel you are trying to dictate what they should/shouldn't buy.

Just my .02

I understand Saturn, I guess it's part of the job and I'll have to get some FastFret distribution [cursing] I have convinced 80% of the guys asking for it to just change strings periodically.

Thing is, some (most) people here keep the same set for a year or 2, or until 1 string breaks, and even then they come asking for that single string, I like to think I'm ctually helping them become better players by not selling them something that just won't work anyway on owerrusted, toneless strings. [unsure]

I'll take some pics of guitars with strings on, that people refuse to change and ask for string cleaner instead. When you guys see them you'll cry [crying]

As I said, I use Fast Fret - not to avoid changing strings, or even cleaning them. I like mainly because of the quiet, easy glide I get on my strings - it lasts fairly long too.

... I'll take some pics of guitars with strings on, that people refuse to change and ask for string cleaner instead. When you guys see them you'll cry

Love to see some of those pics. B)

So Thunder, I take it you own or run a store?

I don't have any strong opinion one way or the other on string cleaner. I do use Finger Ease and it seems to prolong the life of my strings in addition to alowing my hand to slide a little easier on the neck.

But, IMO it might not be a good business practice to refuse to carry a product if there is a demand for it, based on your personal opinion. I know it's just a small product, but there is a chance you could alienate your customers if they feel you are trying to dictate what they should/shouldn't buy.

Just my .02

I tend to agree with Saturn - It's great that you want to have integrity, but you can do that by attempting to teach them while still making sure they leave with whatever they want. You could even give them tone demonstrations or something to make your point. That way, if they leave with new strings they feel like it's because you cared and they believe you, and if they still buy the cleaner instead, you can keep them as a future customer who may eventually come to accept your advice.

The money is always in the repeat visits, and in where they tell their friends to go. You don't want the talk to be, "Don't bother going to Thundergod's place. I went in there for string cleaner, and he didn't even have any. It's just a hole in the wall with only stuff HE likes."

Again, just my own $0.02 You're a bright guy - you'll figure it out. [thumbup]

... oh, and I use string cleaner when I wipe my guitar down after every 3-4 times I play it. Seems to help prevent the corrosion (I have acid sweat), but certainly doesn't reverse it.

I've never used anything but a clean dry or very lightly damp cloth anywhere on a guitar. I tend to have my hands washed before playing, too - although at some gigs that's not really been all that possible.

Well... Years ago I carefully used pot cleaner when I was re-doing older guitars to get them back into playing shape and probably better than set-up when they were new. And a little oil if needed on the old open tuning machines. A very little - as in take apart and wipe with a lightly oily rag rather than squirt the stuff, then wipe dry the "outsides." That's also, btw, pretty much how I handle firearms. I figure if you see oil, it's too much. I may be wrong, but I've done it that way since I was a child with Dad watching over my shoulder.

I'm into changing strings on occasion but I don't make a fetish about it. I think some people are harder on strings than others and stuff like Elixir lasts longer if you don't beat them into an early death. The decision is made by feel and could be a month, could be two years on an individual guitar and its use.

If I were running a guitar store, yeah, I'd probably get that fret ease or whatever it is - but I'd strongly recommend against simply adding one string at a time as they break. I'd probably also get a quality (as in Gibson) polish, etc., even though I've never used such stuff myself.

Maybe that's a silly fetish, and I'm all for restringing a single string asap in a gig if you only have one guitar with you; I always have an extra set with me. But... then the next day I'd always restring with the whole set for a more balanced sound and wear.

m

I tried FastFret once. Pretty cool, it left the strings oiled and I felt faster, so I went and bought it. Not for lengthening the string life (I change them regularly) but for a better feel when I´m playing. I almost never use the damn thing and I still have it, and I think I bought it in the 90´s!

Archived