Gibson Brands Forums

Flanger Or Chorus?

Tman5293

I'm in the market for another pedal to add to my collection. I was thinking about getting either a flanger or a chorus. So I want to ask you guys, which one should I get, Flanger, Chorus, or something else? No matter what you pick, please post your favorite pedal in that category. I need options! I've already listened to a few but I want to listen to all my options. Which one would be the best addition to my current pedal board?

Be different from everybody else and get a flanger. Get the Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger. They go for around $150 new. I have one and its awesome. But all the flangers out there are different but all good ( just as long as they're analog. The digital stuff from Boss and DigiTech are terrible, IMO ). Other flangers to consider are the Ibanez FL9 ( or the Maxon version-they made the original Ibanez pedals such as the Tube Screamers from the early 80s ), the EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress ( or its new pint sized pard'-the Neo Mistress. Don't get the Stereo version. Its digital and less shapeable ), the MXRs ( the M-117, the EVH model, and the Micro Flanger ), or, if you have the money, the HBE Frostbite, which is based on the original A/DA Flanger as used by Pat Travers, Paul Gilbert, and Steve Stevens ( im sure ). These are all good. If you're going for an EVH-style flange tone, go for the MXRs. If ya want a Pat Travers style "chorusy-flange" get the Airplane Flanger, or Frostbite. If ya want intense, tape-like flange, get the Frostbite. If ya want more of a subtle, "laid-back" flange, get the FL9. The Mistress is good for Summers/Gilmour esqe tones, or if ya like the frozen flange sound ( filter matrix ). Hope this helps. BTW, the Mistress would go perfectly with your Big Muff and Memory Toy. Classic lineup right there. Very Gilmouresqe!!!!

I'm having this same debate. The flanger is the one with the more extreme sounds, but you can't go wrong with chorus.

The best chorus ever in my opinion was the Zoom Choir. unfortunately they're long discontinued but I have not heard a nicer chorus since. I haven't tried them but based on features, the closest to it today might be the Digitech Chorus Factory. I assume that the Zoom multi-effects of today would have based their chorus, at least in part, on the Zoom Choir and then expanded on.

Personally, I like the Deluxe Electric Mistress by EH for a flanger, but the Paul Gilbert Airplane flange is a nice one too.

I love the sound of both these effects on a clean guitar. For dirty guitars, the flange is great for more over the top sounds while the chorus will make for a good way of thickening up a rhythm tone

My vote goes to chorus. It's a more usable effect IMO.

My favorite is of course the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus. It does the best chorus, the coolest vibrato, and the only flange sound I've ever liked (probably because it's fairly subtle in the flange department).

But I know you're not much of a tweaker, so I'd recommend some kind of good Boss CE-2 clone for you. Two knobs and probably the most classic (and imitated) chorus sound out there.

But let's not leave out phasers or univibe types (I think the univibe is kinda in it's own class).

You're obviously a Jimi fan/classic rocker, and I think the best modulation for you would be a univibe type. I don't like Fulltone much, but the Fulltone MDV-2 sounds AWESOME. Check it out.

My vote goes to chorus. It's a more usable effect IMO.

My favorite is of course the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus. It does the best chorus, the coolest vibrato, and the only flange sound I've ever liked (probably because it's fairly subtle in the flange department).

But I know you're not much of a tweaker, so I'd recommend some kind of good Boss CE-2 clone for you. Two knobs and probably the most classic (and imitated) chorus sound out there.

But let's not leave out phasers or univibe types (I think the univibe is kinda in it's own class).

You're obviously a Jimi fan/classic rocker, and I think the best modulation for you would be a univibe type. I don't like Fulltone much, but the Fulltone MDV-2 sounds AWESOME. Check it out.

A couple things I'd like to point out:

1. I just sold my BOSS DS-1 and I will never ever buy another BOSS pedal.

2. I just looked at the Fulltone MDV-2. Way outta my price range! I was actually trying to decide between the MXR Micro Flanger and the MXR Micro Chorus.

3. I've really never looked into univibe effects. But I really liked that Fulltone pedal's sound! If you know of some slightly lower priced ones I'd love to take a listen to them.

IMX the most fun can be had with a multi fx

The Boss ME 70 has excellent effects built in and knob adjustability....

V

:-({|=

Knobs are fun.............The more the better......for adjustments, of course......

A couple things I'd like to point out:

1. I just sold my BOSS DS-1 and I will never ever buy another BOSS pedal.

2. I just looked at the Fulltone MDV-2. Way outta my price range! I was actually trying to decide between the MXR Micro Flanger and the MXR Micro Chorus.

3. I've really never looked into univibe effects. But I really liked that Fulltone pedal's sound! If you know of some slightly lower priced ones I'd love to take a listen to them.

Dude. Being a former Boss DS-1 owner, I fully understand that hatred of all things Boss.. But the CE-2 is an absolute classic pedal. Most "boutique" chorus pedals are probably based off this design.

I have a real problem with the DS-1.. I mean seriously.. I question the intelligence and moral fiber of anyone who thinks the DS-1 sounds good. I really can't stand that pedal.

If you want to give the Univibe thing a try, pick up a used Danelectro Chicken Salad for dirt cheap. If you like it, you'll probably want to rehouse it in a real enclosure and use a better switch, better jacks, and better pots. Those things are total pieces of crap but they sound really good. Not as good as the Fulltone, but you can get one for like $10-$15 so what do you expect.

The MXR Micro Chorus and Micro Flanger are about useless in my book. They simply don't offer enough control. Look into the TC Electronic SCF Stereo Chorus + Pitch Modulator & Flanger. Nothing better in the world.

I like the sound of a flanger better, but I appreciate some chorus sometimes. Check out an Electro Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress. It has both chorus and flange, and you can blend them for some cool sounds.

With a flanger you have the best of both worlds as you can do a pretty good approximation of a chorus with a flanger. I have an old Electric Mistress-one of the first made-and it's still working great,I highly recommend that for its quality and reliability.The Danelectro Hash Browns Flanger is also a cool little rig for around $60.

I'd say listen to Dub, and while you're at it, get your a$$ on the KoT waiting list.

My link

Even if you don't want one now, you might in 2 and a half years, even if you don't have the money, you don't have to buy it as soon as you get to the top. They can also be sold for a profit.

That sounds nice in the demo. I was gonna mention that the original Univibes used a light and a photocell to controll the modulation and a lot of the "clones" don't use that.

How much are those? They sound pretty cool.

That one goes for $150 retail. But I'm gonna try and pick up one for cheap on eBay.

If ya wanna hear the difference in a real mix, go listen to some Van Halen. Atomic Punk is my favorite Phase 90 song by Van Halen. If ya want to hear his use of the MXR Flanger, listen to the whole Fair Warning album, their best work IMHO. Especially Hear About it Later. Thats probaby my favorite VH song next to Mean Streets and DOA ( off of VH 2 ). I also reccomend the Number of the Beast album by Iron Maiden. Best use of a phaser, IMHO. And Pink Floyd's whole catalog will teach ya all about modulation. Dark Side for Uni-Vibe and leslie, Dogs for phasers, and The Wall for flange ( the Deluxe Electric Mistress--Pair it with a Memory Man and a Muff and you're set ). Also, listen to some Pat Travers. He made the A/DA Flanger famous. You could get his flange tone with chorus too! And don't forget Jake E Lee! The A/DA is my favorite!!!! My AF-2 comes close...

Archived