Gibson Brands Forums

How good are you?

Flight959

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bassists of the world would be shocked by the modesty of the guitarists on this forum. And

Well I'll admit that my brother was an unbelievable bass player. We played a lot of RUSH and he had every one of Geddy Lee's parts down perfectly (even the parts and solos for YYZ and La Villa Strangiato). How his fingers never fell off is beyond me...

I'm just starting to really get back at writing music and I really don't care how good I am anymore. I just play with myself these days (he he he).

I am a solid 2, bedroom player and the ocassional jam with friends.

I am about to take some lessons to give me a bit of a push forward.

Also I need to spend less time here damned this is addictive, can't get off the stuff...

How good I am depends on who is listening. [-X

or how much the person(s) listening have been drinking. I'm anywhere from reasonable down to a ten thumbed' date=' tone-deaf, talentless noise polluter.

But about a 3-4, realistically.

Nice, that's an answer I think anyone whose playing a while can say.

I think it definatly depends on the people who are listening. Neil Young is no virtuoso, but as far as his songwriting and feel goes, class act.

+1 , solacematt. Neil is as Neil does, and its so unique and powerful. A bit like the blues, easy to play, but difficult to play well.

I am better than I used to be' date=' but not as good as I will be. I know a thing or two, but I've heard about a gazillion guys who make me look like a hack, so I've got a lot to learn! Maybe that puts me around 5?[/quote']

Yeah, me too.

Mmmm, perhaps not quite a gazillion though. I hope. :-s

You hear some guys saying "Hey! You can play!!!" and then you go see someone else playing who makes you think 'Bugger it'.

It doesn't even have to be Jeff Beck either.................:)

I'm always reassured by remembering Homer's words of wisdom to Bart on the one occasion when Bart passed a class paper;

"Just remember, son, that no matter how good you get there'll always be someone out there who's better".

Never a truer word! :) =D>=D>=D>=D>

Ahhh pippy - the Homer Simpson school of sagacity has many pearls for us guitar players:-

Go ahead and play the blues if it'll make you happy

Trying is the first step towards failure

Is there nothing doughnuts can't do

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

To alcohol! The cause of ( and solution to ) all of life's problems

Ahhh pippy - the Homer Simpson school of sagacity has many pearls for us guitar players:-

Go ahead and play the blues if it'll make you happy

Trying is the first step towards failure

Is there nothing doughnuts can't do

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

To alcohol! The cause of ( and solution to ) all of life's problems

To this, as the yuletide is almost upon us, I'd add Homer's exclamation on opening his Xmas present from Marge;

"Beer!!! How did you know?????"

Guys!

On a scale of 1-10 with Ten being the best and one the worst' date=' where is your Standard of playing??

Anyone fancy a play off competition after Christmas? You all have nice guitars but can you make them sing?

A piece maybe a solo or a riff to play is announced then members have to learn it...then members post Youtube/myspace type clips of them playing.... Its open to EVERYONE gig monsters and Beginners....

I'd put myself around the 5 mark...

What do you reckon ladies!!

Regards

Flight959

[/quote']

I won't lie.I suck.I am maybe 3 or 4.i do get better ever so slowly though as time goes on.

Archived