Gibson Brands Forums

New Music Room

fortyearspickn

My wife and erstwhile business manager (although there is no business for her to manage other than me) doesn't understand that I need to double the size of my modest (2-3) collection because we are getting a house with a music room twice as big as now. She still feels you can only play one at a time, so you only need one. I have been drooling over J45 Customs. However, a few months ago they stopped using ebony on the fretboard and bridge and went to RW, so I may be able to resist the temptation. The temptation to believe it is actually better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. For some reason I just can't figure out how to argue with her 'logic'.

Guest J-Doug

You have a "music room"?! What's that? Man I wish!

Seriously it's usually better to resist GAS than to invite marital strife. Butter her up and TALK to her about it. You might be surprised. My wife has surprised me several times over the years.

My wife and erstwhile business manager (although there is no business for her to manage other than me) doesn't understand that I need to double the size of my modest (2-3) collection because we are getting a house with a music room twice as big as now. She still feels you can only play one at a time, so you only need one. I have been drooling over J45 Customs. However, a few months ago they stopped using ebony on the fretboard and bridge and went to RW, so I may be able to resist the temptation. The temptation to believe it is actually better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. For some reason I just can't figure out how to argue with her 'logic'.

How much does it cost to run her for a year? Serious question... Typically the ladies are not the cheapest to maintain on a yearly basis in creams, shoes, bags, entertaining that you wouldn't normally do, etc..

Of the fun money a couple has year in, year out, you're entitled to your share. Especially if you're an equal or main contributer, the cost of a reasonable guitar is not too much to expect if more than the cost of one is going in the opposite direction.

Won't be the most popular post on the thread, I know the typical response will be jokes about she who must be obeyed, etc... But I truly believe in fairness and that's a two-way street, I treat my good lady well and generously, but I expect the same considerations and support to flow in my direction too.

Probably not popular, but honest...

Won't be the most popular post on the thread, I know the typical response will be jokes about she who must be obeyed, etc... But I truly believe in fairness and that's a two-way street, I treat my good lady well and generously, but I expect the same considerations and support to flow in my direction too.

You're doing the right thing. The guys who mess it up are the ones who refuse to do things for their wives because they "can't afford it", and then go out and blow a wad of money on "guy things". I buy a modest number of guitars, and I don't do it at all if my wife has hinted she would like something, and I haven't given it to her. It also helps if you anticipate things they might want, rather than waiting for them to hit you over the head with it.

Treat them well, boys, treat them well.......and they will do the same to you.

The situation here: As long as we can swing it, and no current priority things prevail, she's not once put the idea down.

while I wont say I've a modest collection, if I add it all up, there's a ton of stuff I've acquired over the years I've been at this (lets not count those right now shall we!)

But, it's really all I do, there are no other things I really have an interest in that would challenge the budget aside from a few rounds of golf that I manage to get in during the season, (and I'm not a good enough golfer to have a high end set of clubs, nor am I playing courses where you're shelling out 50+ bucks a round either)

I count myself quite lucky...

/Ray

Who mentioned logic?

See my Kombi thread.

Mention you would like to buy an old Kombi for you to fix up and you could all go driving on a Sunday etc etc pick her up from the train, go to the shops.........she may start to think the guitars are a better idea? Or you could have a nice warm place to sleep instead of the doghouse....

BluesKing777.

Who mentioned logic?

See my Kombi thread.

Mention you would like to buy an old Kombi for you to fix up and you could all go driving on a Sunday etc etc pick her up from the train, go to the shops.........she may start to think the guitars are a better idea? Or you could have a nice warm place to sleep instead of the doghouse....

BluesKing777.

Had her actually interested in the idea, looking through the pix of the second one, for $20k. Until she saw the steering wheel was on the wrong side! I will have to try the butter approach suggested by JDoug I suppose. Hasn't worked in the past though. When she sees me getting the butter out, she knows something is up.

Had her actually interested in the idea, looking through the pix of the second one, for $20k. Until she saw the steering wheel was on the wrong side! I will have to try the butter approach suggested by JDoug I suppose. Hasn't worked in the past though. When she sees me getting the butter out, she knows something is up.

Hee Hee!

I guess the only option you have now is to go and buy her some shoes!

(Doesn't matter if they look any good or even if they fit - it is the thought that counts! Again, see Kombi thread.)

BluesKing777.

to be honest I think you should talk to her from the "it's my passion..." side I mean nobody gets younger and as time goes by you have less of it to enjoy the things that capture your heart ... you may only be able to play one at a time but you can look the other 2, 3 or whatever number of guitars you have on stands . So I would argue that guitars are beautiful to look at too !

JC

I have and have had my share of guitars and related *stuff*, but I figure I'm still behind the guys with the fancy bass boat, motor, trailer, truck to pull it, tackle, travel, etc.

Besides, she gets everything she wants too.

to be honest I think you should talk to her from the "it's my passion..." side I mean nobody gets younger and as time goes by you have less of it to enjoy the things that capture your heart ... you may only be able to play one at a time but you can look the other 2, 3 or whatever number of guitars you have on stands . So I would argue that guitars are beautiful to look at too !

JC

This logic is a trap. I highly recommend *against* the idea of telling her you can look at or think about the others while you're playing one of several. There is no place good that conversation can go!

That's why I have a budget .... a planning document .... $ set aside from each check for home repair, regular bills, savings, cars, vacations, food, her stuff and BOY TOYS. Since $ is usually in the bank before it's spent there is never a question when a new shotgun or Gibson shows up. She often encourages me to buy a new guitar when I mention it (although actually her boyfriend is probably a guitar player so she'll come equipped when I kick off dry.gif ). She actually believes one can never have enough guitars (or apparantly cloths and shoes)

, a few months ago they stopped using ebony on the fretboard and bridge and went to RW,

You might find that a rosewood board eliminates the darkness for lead playing. I have gone back and forth on this issue for thirty years now, and I am convinced that there are indeed a few guitars that must have an ebony fingerboard (1929 Martin 0-18K) but most can do very well indeed with the rosewood. Remember that when you order a custom J45 they aren't going to the firewood pile to select your EIR - you get the good stuff. In many ways, that can be better than heavily dyed ebony that blackens your strings and fingers and lifts every time you use fretboard conditioner (a Gibson product).

Gibson's issues with wood are well documented, but we all need to accept that it will be many years before a well managed supply of ebony will be available for instruments again.

There are ways to find ebony that can be reclaimed. I once found a solid ebony piece of furniture, bought it at auction and had it made into more that forty fingerboards. I also had a Martin stage guitar that was totally done in Micarta for the bridge and fingerboard and it was perfect material for a road guitar. I can understand someone not wanting a custom guitar made with alternate materials, but in the end it is how the guitar sounds and plays that matters, yes?

Just some thoughts.

Oh,.... where do we begin? [sneaky]

What is her 'collection'? Shoes? Lipsticks? Nail Polish? Figurines? Sweaters? Pots and Pans?

You can do the, "Well you have umpteen copies of >fill in the blank<", this route just might not be a good road to go down. While it is logical, the female of the species, doesn't like us, the male of the speices to inject logic.

Tread lightly here.

You should play the touchy feeley card. "Hon, while I don't understand the nuance and differences between your numerous >fill in the blank<, I can appreciate they mean a lot to you and each on is different in it's own way and don't question you decision to add to your collection. I would like to add an additional guitar because I can hear a marked difference and nuance to it's tone. It's better for >fill in the blank< style of music. It has that certain someting..... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Might do well to buy some flowers too. [rolleyes]

How much does it cost to run her for a year? Serious question... Typically the ladies are not the cheapest to maintain on a yearly basis in creams, shoes, bags, entertaining that you wouldn't normally do, etc..

Of the fun money a couple has year in, year out, you're entitled to your share. Especially if you're an equal or main contributer, the cost of a reasonable guitar is not too much to expect if more than the cost of one is going in the opposite direction.

PM, You're exactly right, of course. Some people spend more in a year on going to lunch than a 'reasonable guitar' would cost. As main contributor and generous to a fault: Birthday - I got her a sewing machine a year and a half ago that cost slightly more than the SJ200 and H'Bird TV which are the only guitars in house now, since I've given my other two to our 2 sons a couple of years ago. The problem is - logic doesn't work. And buttering up hasn't worked. If James Avery jewelry can be considered butter. Possibly the last ditch "It's my passion" as suggested by Juan Carlos is the best route. Really, I'm a cheap date - next most expensive 'vice' is minor league baseball tickets costing around $300/year. Then, of course there is the beer. But how much of that can one person drink?

Men, especially married men who have been married a while, are like children whose attention can easily be grabbed by shiny things. We are almost like dumb fish.

My wife has been pretty understanding, as she has seen so many of our friends get divorced. Often the shiny things have been women.

Occupying your time and energies with constructive things like creating music really is not the worst vice in the world.

Men, especially married men who have been married a while, are like children whose attention can easily be grabbed by shiny things. We are almost like dumb fish.

My wife has been pretty understanding, as she has seen so many of our friends get divorced. Often the shiny things have been women.

Occupying your time and energies with constructive things like creating music really is not the worst vice in the world.

Haha, This may be his best argument!!

That needed another quote...

[thumbup]

I think you need to explain to her that guitars are like women: you can't have too many. Once she understands the wisdom of your statement she'll not only give you a bigger music room, but your own bedroom too.

MissouriPicker, you talk like a man who's been around the horn a few times.

Upon further reflection it appears you waited too long to make use of the good will of the sewing machine purchase. A year and a half is a bit long for the after glow of new stuff for the missus to remain.

How about this tactic. If you already have the funds, just hang on to them.

Now, announce to your significant other that you wish to acquire a guitar. IN doing so, you will not dip into the household funds. No... you will save up by abstaining from your usual purchases of .... oh, say $4.00 coffies, eating out for lunch, cut back on smoking, booze, etc... whatever it is you spend your discretionary funds on. Sell off some stuff of YOURS to help 'grow' your New Guitar Fund. A few months from now announce that due to your diligence of denying yourself some of the pleasures of life you have saved enough to get that guitar you wanted... nay, you can't afford the case that goes with but the guitar is what you seek. Then when you get back from the Guitar Shop, announce you 'scored' a great deal. THEY INCLUDED THE CASE!

You may also find that reducing discretionary spending isn't so bad after all.

MissouriPicker, you talk like a man who's been around the horn a few times.

How about this tactic. If you already have the funds, just hang on to them.

Now, announce to your significant other that you wish to acquire a guitar. IN doing so, you will not dip into the household funds. No... you will save up by abstaining from your usual purchases of .... oh, say $4.00 coffies, eating out for lunch, cut back on smoking, booze, etc... whatever it is you spend your discretionary funds on. Sell off some stuff of YOURS to help 'grow' your New Guitar Fund. A few months from now announce that due to your diligence of denying yourself some of the pleasures of life you have saved enough to get that guitar you wanted... nay, you can't afford the case that goes with but the guitar is what you seek. Then when you get back from the Guitar Shop, announce you 'scored' a great deal. THEY INCLUDED THE CASE!

You may also find that reducing discretionary spending isn't so bad after all.

Maybe I'm turning into an MCP in my old age, but I figure since I'm the one making 95% of the money, I really can buy another guitar if I want to. It's not like I'm stuffing money up my nose or spending the grocery money. I do give her everything she wants, and I guarantee you she's WAY ahead on those transactions.

(Sounds like I'm getting wound up to buy another guitar.)

Archived