Gibson Brands Forums

Shocking ticket prices for the Stones

Rabs

An article in today's Orange County Register said the Stones are coming to the Honda Center (Anaheim, CA) probably May. The Mgr of the Honda Center works out at my gym. The "cheap" seats are said to be in the $400-$500 range. Not that big of a Stones fan myself.

Man, that's just INSANE! [cursing]](*,) There isn't anyone "I'd" pay those prices, to see! I have much better

things to do, with my ever decreasing finances, than pay those kinds of prices, to sit on my ***,

and listen to people who should have "retired," (at least) 2 decades ago. LOL And, I "like" the "Stones!"

But, not THAT much! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

That's insane. But they do have other people to pay, not just themselves. No one ever thinks about the crew, promoters, etc.

And this skyrocketing of ticket prices is due to the poor state of the record industry (obviously, the Stones don't have to worry). It's tough on a lot of "lower" bands. There are no royalties to support touring, thus they have to charge a lot more.

You know what, though...(personally) I'd much prefer a concert that was just the band,

and it's music!

I don't need (or, even care for) all this "glitz," and extravagance, that seems to be a

requirement, these days. I think it really distracts, even detracts, from the essence of

their music. Unless, of course, that "glitz" and extravagance IS their "music." It's like

they all try to outdo one another, and make the concert goer foot the bill, for doing so.

Kind of like the "Government," that way! [cursing]](*,)

No Thanks!!

CB

- putting on a major concert costs major bucks. Props, stages, stage hands, logistics, equipment, lighting, trucking, insurance, et al: costs a bunch of money.

Yeah, see, this is where I went with it, too.

Stones are a a legendary act, and will get a certain price to perform. They get to pull their gravy train. By the time you've been a major act for as long as they have, I'd imagine that train would've grown to be considerably long. Add inflation.

/shrug Not in my budget, but I get it.

The crazy thing is you know it will sell out within an hour...

The mad thing is that over here.. Even if you want to pay that money.. Trying to get good seats at gigs these days is almost impossible.. All the best seats seem to go instantly only to be found on last minute type sites where they can double and even triple in price (even more if its a big one).

Same over here, resale sites like Stub Hub will buy out all the tickets instantly then resell them for up to quadruple face value. Apparently they're finding ways to get around the filters put in place to stop this kind of thing.

I passed on Roger Water's "The Wall" tour, as much as I'd loved to have seen it I just couldn't part with over $200 for a ticket.

I love getting a great show to complement the music. Gimmicks don't hurt when they're used right. I go to rock shows to have fun and get rocked. I separate that from going to a more sophisticated concert to be musically enlightened. Seeing KISS or Ozzy is not like going to see Jeff Beck or Eric Johnson. Some people don't understand that.

Keep in mind, the band actually has to be playing real music on real instruments.......

That's insane. But they do have other people to pay, not just themselves. No one ever thinks about the crew, promoters, etc.

True that, but, a lot of that is "self inflicted" to a point; i.e. how big of a show, how much of an entourage, etc. and that's all well and good.

The other part of it is who gets what. Like the Eagle's Henley/Frey, the Stones Jagger/Richards are the Rolling Stones, Inc, reaping the majority of the profits, while everyone else is a paid band member (as I understand it)

Keef was recently quoted as saying they'll retire when the fans quit showing up...hmmm...maybe this is the year LOL [flapper] I know I'm not going (and I even have an inside track to discount tix).

True that, but, a lot of that is "self inflicted" to a point; i.e. how big of a show, how much of an entourage, etc. and that's all well and good.

The other part of it is who gets what. Like the Eagle's Henley/Frey, the Stones Jagger/Richards are the Rolling Stones, Inc, reaping the majority of the profits, while everyone else is a paid band member (as I understand it)

Keef was recently quoted as saying they'll retire when the fans quit showing up...hmmm...maybe this is the year LOL [flapper] I know I'm not going (and I even have an inside track to discount tix).

Who knows. Most of the time bands don't even make the prices anyway.

I think it's crucial for the future of rock music that these old bands throw in the towel. The top dogs in the rock world were the top dogs back in the day. There needs to be a new top dog.

More than anything else ticket prices for aging rockers and aging fans is a marketing decision. The supply of concerts by bands like the Stones, McCartney, even Springsteen is running out. How many more chances will shows like these come close enough to you for you to be able to see them? Prices are as others here have said "what the market will bear". They sell them all out, the fans leave largely satisfied and so I would say they are accurately and fairly priced. Come on man, it's the Stones! B)

I think it just really comes down to the principle that they have to charge as much as they can, period. They figure out how high to set the price based on marketing factors and they just do it. There's always somebody out there willing to pay these prices.

[unsure]

Who knows. Most of the time bands don't even make the prices anyway.

I think it's crucial for the future of rock music that these old bands throw in the towel. The top dogs in the rock world were the top dogs back in the day. There needs to be a new top dog.

That would be a good idea, but, they aren't making top dogs anymore....

Did you have someone/some band in mind?

In the modern era, there are only a handful of bands/artists that could be considered top dogs, and, still most of those are the old dogs!

I'm starting to notice a trend, well known, and major acts are booking smaller venues, and of course, smaller production values, just to be sure they sell all the seats, helping to keep prices down, and, profits up.

More on this story.. I forgot they are now headlining at Glastonbury this year.. Lol the Hyde Park tickets sold out in three minutes.. That's just crazy...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22039223

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has revealed he is not keen to play the "old hat" Glastonbury festival.

"I don't want to do it. I don't like playing outdoors and I certainly don't like festivals," he said.

The band, who will be playing the festival for the first time, are headlining on Saturday 29 June.

"It's not what I'd like to do for a weekend," said the 71-year-old, who told The Guardian he preferred playing in jazz bands in his spare time.

Watts, who complained about playing outdoors "because the cymbals move", said he was not interested in the laid back festival atmosphere.

"Glastonbury, it's old hat really. I never liked the hippy thing to start with," he said.

Lead singer Mick Jagger told the BBC this week that he would call U2 singer Bono for advice about their upcoming performance, following the Irish band's 2011 headline slot.

"'Don't do it!' might be his advice, but it's a bit late for that," Sir Mick said in an interview with the BBC's Colin Paterson.

The Stones will also play a gig in London's Hyde Park for 65,000 people on 6 July, where tickets sold out in 3 minutes.

It is the first time the band have played the venue since their legendary free concert for an estimated 250,000 people in 1969.

The group angered some fans when they charged up to £406 for shows at the O2 Arena last year, but guitarist Keith Richards has not ruled out playing another free concert.

"I hope we'll do some others. Why not? If you find the right place and the right time to do it, I don't see why we shouldn't do others in the next year," he told the BBC.

The Hyde Park show is part of their 50 and Counting tour which also sees the band play 18 dates in North America.

"You've got to pace yourself," said 69-year-old Sir Mick, who has planned longer gaps between gigs to allow for more recovery time.

That would be a good idea, but, they aren't making top dogs anymore....

Did you have someone/some band in mind?

In the modern era, there are only a handful of bands/artists that could be considered top dogs, and, still most of those are the old dogs!

I'm starting to notice a trend, well known, and major acts are booking smaller venues, and of course, smaller production values, just to be sure they sell all the seats, helping to keep prices down, and, profits up.

The record industry is at an all time-low, so a lot of these bands are just like local bands only they tour and play bigger venues. There's no royalties to support touring.

Not to mention that album-oriented rock is gone...People just download singles on iTunes now (or illegally, which ruined the industry). Bands don't make any money because people don't buy records. 99 cents for a song ain't gonna cut it. Some people say bands/artists that look down on this (like Lars Ulrich) are greedy, but that's not the case. Putting on a show costs a lot of money. People have to get paid.

An article in today's Orange County Register said the Stones are coming to the Honda Center (Anaheim, CA) probably May. The Mgr of the Honda Center works out at my gym. The "cheap" seats are said to be in the $400-$500 range. Not that big of a Stones fan myself.

Wow. Cheap seats indeed. Here's a link to an email I got from Stubhub today on Stones ticket prices. If the link doesn't work, the nosebleeds are $495 and front row center will set you back $3K. By comparison, we sat in section 105, on the aisle two rows back for the Eagles and they were just under $400 each, including VIP parking.

http://www.stubhub.com/rolling-stones-tickets/the-rolling-stones-anaheim-honda-center-15-5-2013-4264598/?affiliate_id=136579&rmid=04_05_13_Rolling_Stones&user_id=31972420&keyword=20130405

Will most definitely be staying home for this one LOL

Wow. Cheap seats indeed. Here's a link to an email I got from Stubhub today on Stones ticket prices. If the link doesn't work, the nosebleeds are $495 and front row center will set you back $3K. By comparison, we sat in section 105, on the aisle two rows back for the Eagles and they were just under $400 each, including VIP parking.

http://www.stubhub.com/rolling-stones-tickets/the-rolling-stones-anaheim-honda-center-15-5-2013-4264598/?affiliate_id=136579&rmid=04_05_13_Rolling_Stones&user_id=31972420&keyword=20130405

Will most definitely be staying home for this one LOL

[scared] Wow!! The "Cheap Seats," takes on a whole "nuther" meaning, huh?

Only Millionaires need apply! [tongue][thumbdn] But, Hell...I feel that way,

going to the grocery store, anymore. [flapper][scared]

CB

Some people will spend Lexus dollars for a Toyata with leather seats too. Same body, same engine, 90% same car, double the price. The Lexus you buy here is sold as a Toyota in Japan and at Toyota prices.

Others will pay 5 times as much for an almost identical guitar, but with some guitar hero's name on it (not even a real signature, but some machine stamped impression).

Some here in Florida will pay extra money every year to have a mega-billion dollar sports team's logo on their automobile licence tags.

Some people will spend huge dollars to see a professional sporting event and then complain that the athletes make too much money for what they do.

Some people will spend more for a purse because it has a 'designer' logo advertisement printed all over it.

And some will pay outrageous prices to see a band that is no better than the one playing down the street at a local night club.

It is supply and demand. If they didn't sell out the show at those prices, they would lower the prices. But when the demand exceeds the supply, you can charge whatever you want for the product.

I'm a much better saxophone player than Kennny G, and I know dozens of other sax players who can put G in their back pockets, but we'll never command those ticket prices. That's right, I'm jealous. But if I had the connections and promotion that G has, I'd do the same thing.

I'd rather spend less money on a symphony orchestra concert, and watch 120 or so of the finest musicians in the world play some of the most complex and well developed music the world has ever known. I have no hero worship, I'm not a fan boy, and I could care less if the featured soloist is a famous or no-name musician. All that matters to me is the music.

But then, I've never been like most other people.

To each his/her own.

Archived