Gibson Brands Forums

OMG! Not a'Top Wrapping' thread again?....

pippy

AXE® was good enough to send me a snap of the late, great Paul Kossoff which I had never before seen.

(Thanks again, AXE® [thumbup])

Here it is.

Great, Great Snap.

47829_306776456111527_161166542_n.jpg

This was taken (AFAIK) in the very early '70s.

When did the practice of 'Top-Wrapping' actually start to appear?

Does anyone have any earlier snaps which shows this preference?

:-k

P.

Wonderful picture, I've never seen that one before either...how I like to remember him!

Sorry - nothing to add to this thread!

On the contrary, jdgm; with your first sentence you just did!

[thumbup]

P.

Jimmy page pic...even has a nice zoom feature......

JIMMY

that being said....I cant see how top wrapping is going to affect tone when a bridge is in play...it will indeed allow you to make height adjustments that non top wrap won''t allow, but tone?...I'm not sure I'm convinced......please prove me wrong.

Here's another pic with just standard..

JIMMY Standard

The very earliest Les Paul users didn't know which way the strings went. From The Man himself. Well, The Man to me at least, Forrest Richard Betts. I don't have a recording of it, but I do have it from him, from when I's a kid, and we got to fool with his white Custom me and three other guitar player kids. I also had(may still have)a book or two that indicated as well that in the early days nobody was sure which way was actually the right way and that our hosts had disagreement amongst their very own peoples.

It doesn't do anything at all for me, not tone, not better action, nothing. Past the saddle and past the nut mean nothing anyway, as evidenced by all the cigarettes I put in both places in my youth, they never did anything except burn perfectly good guitars.

That is all I got.

rct

I know loads of players do it because they prefer the break angle, but wouldnt top wrapping cause string slippage in some cases? It'd be almost like those fender saddles without the groove in them

I know loads of players do it because they prefer the break angle, but wouldnt top wrapping cause string slippage in some cases? It'd be almost like those fender saddles without the groove in them

Nah you just pin the tailpiece all the way to the body

I've been thinking about trying it but a tech set my SG up a couple weeks ago and I'm digging the tailpiece a little higher which is how I used to use it. I dunno if there's any difference in sound but it's really comfortable to set my hand on. It just puts my hand right in the perfect position

I'm more concerned with that than any minute difference in sound. So I guess just do whatever feels more comfortable for your right hand

Guest Farnsbarns

I find it hard to believe that people were buying guitars non-top-wrapped, and then being confused over how it was designed to be used, despite the recesses in the TP for the ball ends. Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Maybe I credit people with too much intelligence?

I can't make out a top wrap on that pic.

[scared]

You are absolutely right, Riffster!

Looking again with my 'Morning Eyes' in I can see I've made a whoopsie! It's just the shadow of the stop-bar which I mistook for the bar itself! Ah Bugger ! ! !

[blush]

Anyhow, moving on.....(hem-hem)........

But I suppose the question is still valid; when did the practice begin?

mumble...mutter...mumble........

P.

I find it hard to believe that people were buying guitars non-top-wrapped, and then being confused over how it was designed to be used, despite the recesses in the TP for the ball ends. Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Maybe I credit people with too much intelligence?

Maybe a shop set it (them) up "wrong" thus passing the practice on to the buyer(s).

I find it hard to believe that people were buying guitars non-top-wrapped, and then being confused over how it was designed to be used

The original stop-bar tailpiece was the wrap-around tailpiece/bridge combo with the zig-zag saddle ridge across the top. At the time, this was thought of as a significant improvement over the trapeze bar on the adjustable posts (tone, sustain, intonation).

Those that were accustomed to the "wrap-around" would understandably continue to do so even on guitars fitted with the NEW Tune-O-Matic bridge (guitar players don't give up old habits easily, do we?).

Don't know when, but here is what Gibson says about top wrapping.

i topwrapped an lp studio and like it because i can screw the tail down and action feels slinky. a note on the ends of regular strings: they are nasty little twisted hand wreckers. try fender bullets, there's no twist or a string with a ball end.

i'm sold on topwrapping (on an lp studio).

this is something i have thought about once or twice. you see a guitar tech told me if i wanted looser string feel to add more angle to the tailpiece but not let the string touch the bridge. Over wrapping would not alow you to get as much angle by his thinking. but i havent noticed it iether way i have strung up my guiars both ways just to see if their is any thing to it. that is a huge lespaul.

Archived