Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Strap Locks........

Zeke

I bought a Traditional this year and hated the strap buttons on it, too small and scared me haha. I installed Dunlop straplocks, the screws they give you are too long tho and cheap so I shaved them down. Also, they are a bit thicker so be cautious of screwing them and causing any damage. I was lucky and took the old screws from my Studio and grinded the ends down so that they went in the guitar at the same depth as with the original strap buttons. It's a bit of a nuisance, but the last thing you wanna do is drop you guitar!

Man the last thing I want to do is drop my new 2013 Les Paul Traditional. Can any of you guys help me choose what strap lock to buy or not to buy? Thanks for the help i advance.

I have always used Schaller strap locks. They've never let me down (or my guitar!).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schaller-Guitar-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons--Pair--100284464-i1170004.gc

To prevent the nut getting loose on the strap, I use a drop of blue Loctite........if you are neat about it, it won't get all over everything and keeps them from backing off. Blue can be removed easily later if needed.

NHTom

Schaller makes the strap locks or is Fender just "name branding" or under license? Either way it looks exactly the same concept and style. Got Fender stamped on my Strat and Schaller on my Gibsons...well, don't really care either way. But they do work well.

Schaller and Grover are impossible to release unless the nut gets lose in the strap.

Correct IMHO. [thumbup]

I use Schaller normally, own a Gibson that came with Grovers of the same make, and a Fender that came with Schallers saying Fender.

There is two sets of Schallers the ones that say Fender on them are made in Korea are like Strap Lock Specials like the Floyd Rose Special.

They are all from Schaller. but the ones that say Schaller on them are made in Germany.

Likewise the ones that say Grover are made in USA

thanks, [smile]

Not arguing, but I was surprised 10 years or so ago to learn that Grover hasn't made anything in Cleveland in a long time. I remember my Grover machiness in the 70's, Grover across the top, USA across the bottom. Hadn't noticed the USA not being there for probably a long time. Had some email with them years ago, they moved all of the metal work to Vietnam a long time ago.

So I'm not so sure that anything with Grover on it is made here, maybe they have started up again here.

But I still use their machines and always will.

Dunlop Straplox since the late 70's, only one failure on many dozens of guitars and that one failure was my fault.

rct

Just make sure to wipe them down after playing as they get "dusty" (metal dust-grey) and will stain your nice white case.

And your fingers... If you leave your strap on all the time, the buttons wear faster. But you can but Fender American Standard buttons and they fit the schallers. $6

I'll be the one dissenting voice here. I have Loxx on all my guitars except for a Strat that has Dunlops. I find the Loxx much easier to use and the Dunlop kind of clunky. No matter what brand you use, you need to take an extra second to be sure you engaged the lock or you're playing with fire.

Guest Farnsbarns

I've been using Planet Waves locking straps on my Les Pauls and leaving the regular buttons on. But, I did add a little felt on them.

Yep, planet lock by planet waves. One purchase and all my guitars now have a locked on strap when over I want it. The felt is necessary on an LP though because the hard strap ends will always rub.

Man the last thing I want to do is drop my new 2013 Les Paul Traditional. Can any of you guys help me choose what strap lock to buy or not to buy? Thanks for the help i advance.

on the cheap you can use plain old rubber washers (and you don't have to alter the guitar at all!)

this topic has been around before, someone suggested the rubber stopper from the flip top Grolsch beer bottles.

yeah that's a big issue the weightedness and the top button always coming off the strap.

I have just finished my first round of customizations to my new LP Signature "T" today by changing out the T truss rod cover with a new blank cover, and installing the "Made in the U.S.A." Dunlop STRAPLOCK Strap Retaining System !!! I'm very happy with the job I did, I followed the instructions to a T (heh heh, get it, "to a T", heh heh, Sig "T" !!!) and it came out perfect!!! My new Gibson Strap slipped off the stock button at the front end twice on Saturday, I was lucky, I caught it both times, but I decided I better install the locks pronto. Now I don't have to worry about that any more, I just have to buy another set of locks if I want to switch the strap to my Riviera !!! I should, 'cause the new strap is nice, and the Riviera is heavy, and all I have is a cheap suede strap on it !!!

Archived