Gibson Brands Forums

I guess I'm officially too old...

Vega1

So I'm in the grocery store and I walk by the magazine aisle, and I see a Guitar World with a couple songs I'm interested in. I haven't bought a guitar magazine in a very long time.

Anyway, I'm reading it and there are no less than 4 ads with and one article by a Tosin Abasi, never heard of him, but I see he plays an 8 string guitar. All the ads and the article are placing this guy on a pedestal as an amazing talent. Well then, must be the new thing? So I figure I should go see what this guy is all about, at least to see what all the fuss is about.

So I fire up youtube and check out some of his stuff, and WOW.... is it ever terrible. Just awful. It sounded like nothing but intricate (8 string) scales, no melody or feel at all.

I'm only 45, but maybe I'm just too old to appreciate a new evolution in guitar? Am I missing something? Have you heard something from this guy that really blew you away?

Just wondering

[confused]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was bummed when I recently started reading guitar magazines for the first time in years that all the hot equipment and hot players were 7 or 8 string stuff and people I've never heard of............

43.....I must be old too

NHTom

Guitar World is aimed at "20 something" shredders and metalheads. If you're not in that demographic (or genre), it's a waste of money. I can't remember the last time I picked one up and knew who anyone in there was (and yeah, I'm old, mid 60's)

I am 44 and subscribe to Guitar World some issues are gold (to me) and some others aren't. It is like that with every magazine. Some issues I cannot relate to at all but that's fine, overall the good outweighs it all , the trick is to get a hell of a deal on your subscription, I pay $1 per magazine and even the crappy issues are worth it.

You want a surprising fact about guitar magazines? Count the number of times that Hendrix is on the cover.

They have really good guitar playing technical and practice articles on guitar world, doesn't matter what genre you play, it's invaluable. That's a fact.

That is one thing I noticed, the articles are actually pretty good. I might just have to subscribe just for those Its only about $14 a year.

I do wish I could find a guitar magazine that's a better fit for me though.... you know "Guitar for People who grew up in the 70's and 80's and like all kinds of Music" Magazine

A subscription is the way to go that way you can catch stuff that you are actually interested in.

The Jeff Hanneman issue was great, the best interview with James Hetfield I read in that magazine. Some great articles on the Beatles, Randy Rhoads, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, etc.

There was an interview with Wolf Hoffman of Accept in a recent issue, to me that was priceless.

And yea, they also have some bubble gum metal bands, but hey they have to mix it up.

My wife signed me up for AARP today. That's old. And depressing.

Good discounts though.

I watched Justin Timberlake on MTV's video awards. Thought he was good. Maybe liking or not liking a musician isn't age related, but then again, I'm a card carrying member......

I thought Tosin is a great player after watching the video.

So I'm in the grocery store and I walk by the magazine aisle, and I see a Guitar World with a couple songs I'm interested in. I haven't bought a guitar magazine in a very long time.

Anyway, I'm reading it and there are no less than 4 ads with and one article by a Tosin Abasi, never heard of him, but I see he plays an 8 string guitar. All the ads and the article are placing this guy on a pedestal as an amazing talent. Well then, must be the new thing? So I figure I should go see what this guy is all about, at least to see what all the fuss is about.

So I fire up youtube and check out some of his stuff, and WOW.... is it ever terrible. Just awful. It sounded like nothing but intricate (8 string) scales, no melody or feel at all.

I'm only 45, but maybe I'm just too old to appreciate a new evolution in guitar? Am I missing something? Have you heard something from this guy that really blew you away?

Just wondering

[confused]

Just wondering

[confused]

I watched it and was not very impressed either. Just seemed like repetitive shredding up and down the scales. Suppose if you're a kid it would seem awesome but take away the 8 string and he's just another shredder. Shrugs..Id rather hear some real music than just shredding but music is in the eye of the beholder and this didnt hold my eyes.

I can't think of a Progessive Rock band or artist that I am into.

Just never been my thing.

To me this guy's style is more progressive rock than shredding. If anything played fast was shredding then a lot of jazz players would be shredders.

To me this guy's style is more progressive rock than shredding. If anything played fast was shredding then a lot of jazz players would be shredders.

Im not big into progressive either but id rather hear yes or uriah heap than this stuff.

No offense but this guy couldnt hold Steve Hacketts jock.

No question the guy is talented. Does nothing for me personally, but he's good.

I don't see the point in cutting him down. He's just not my cup o' tea.

Definitely not trying to cut him down. He's obviously put in his dues.

It's just not my style. I'd rather listen to someone play a nice nasty riff with some chords and a few singing notes than that style. I was just shocked that it seems the ads in the magazines lately all seem to cater to his style. Maybe I buy the wrong magazine. Just expected to see a little of all styles but it seems this style is the flavor of the day, so all the advertisers flock to it.

NHTom

I won't knock the guys chops - who could? And I will say I liked his chords - they were cool. But I have two problems with this type of lead playing...

1 - No bending. To me string bending is what makes the guitar vocal - makes it sound like a voice or a horn. As a listener I get bored if there is no string bending - and I got bored quick with the video that was posted. Why don't these guys ever bend?

2 - Sounds like a computer. The tone was very polyphonic and synthy. Gimme a Fuzz Face and a Marshall any day!

I guess what I'm saying is that I could probably make some sequencer program thing could do all that and that it doesn't feel very human or emotional to me.

My wife signed me up for AARP today. That's old. And depressing.

Good discounts though.

I watched Justin Timberlake on MTV's video awards. Thought he was good. Maybe liking or not liking a musician isn't age related, but then again, I'm a card carrying member......

I thought Tosin is a great player after watching the video.

im 53, recently joined aarp as well, $16 a year. get great discount at our local movie theatre. two movies pretty much pay for the cost, lol.

a number of years ago, i wrote a letter to Guitar World thanking them. I said on every other page they remind me of what I don't want to listen to, sound like or play. I can sometimes be bit of a curmudgeon. I enjoy the mag, i even recently re-subscribed to it...

Archived