Gibson Brands Forums

What Should I Buy.. If there a difference

iceberg

Quick question from a guitar newbie. Need to get a Les Paul for my 16 year old, his ability had outgrown his Epiphone. Option #1 is a 2013 Les Paul Studio deluxe 2, 50"s neck new $1200.00. Option #2 2012 Les Paul standard, premium plus. AAA top trans Black also new but clearance at $1470.00. He played and liked both, I am sure he will have the guitar for years but will one keep value better than the other ?

Quick question from a guitar newbie. Need to get a Les Paul for my 16 year old, his ability had outgrown his Epiphone. Option #1 is a 2013 Les Paul Studio deluxe 2, 50"s neck new $1200.00. Option #2 2012 Les Paul standard, premium plus. AAA top trans Black also new but clearance at $1470.00. He played and liked both, I am sure he will have the guitar for years but will one keep value better than the other ?

Nice discount on the Standard! I much prefer a 60's neck.

My son has the same LP Studio Deluxe (2009)...with a 60's neck....GREAT guitar! Best thing he ever bought at 15 yrs of age. Made a man out of him musically.

LP Standard all the way....will hold it's value better and binding really looks nice.

Slaterdud,

If your not a guitar player yourself, maybe you should take someone who knows about those things along with you, or at least get some photo's of the guitar and post them here, there are a lot of people on there who will spot a fake or any problems, who will be more than willing to help.

Regards,

Ian.

Hello

I think that price is a bargin "Option #2 2012 Les Paul standard, premium plus. AAA top trans Black also new but clearance at $1470.00" make sure this is not a second

ie returned stock they call it "B stock" witch mean second damaged fixed ect that is the only add I have seen on the web at that price

hope this helps

That Standard price is good.

But I'm looking at new ones AAA that are much more expensive than $1470.00

$1000.00 more.

I'm not gonna pick either one of those.

I'd go with a Signature T. For a new 2013 Les Paul it's the most bang for the buck. [thumbup]

hey everybody thanks for the input, I went with the standard, its legit it was at the Guitar CenterI checked it over real welland had one of my friends look at it as well. it may be more guitar then most 16 year olds need but right now he plays guitar drums keyboards and is starting to write music so like it or not I know it's going to be his career choice... and he will take great care of it ..I am sure this will be the first of many USA Gibsons for him

it may be more guitar then most 16 year olds need

Quite the contrary, a quality instrument will serve a 16 year old just as well as a 50 year old. Music aptitude, talent, interest and enthusiasm are not governed by age brackets.

I was 16 when I bought my Les Paul Standard (lawn mowing and skate sharpening money), and nearly 40 years later it continues to serve me well.

.....but here the tag to verify the steal of a deal I got....

Now your just teasing us!

Seriously good buy.

Incidentally I'd just like to second Larry's observation that a top-drawer instrument is by no means outwith the requirements of a 16-y-old.

Give him the best quality you can and it will serve him in good stead for all time and, if I'm not mistaken, he will put in more hours of practice and playing simply because he will want to enjoy playing such a wonderful instrument.

P.

I bought my Standard earlier this year, I'm only 16 but it took me literally years to save up. While I know almost all about them, I didn't really know which model to get. I wanted to get a 1960 LPS VOS, that's what I'm going for next. It's the right neck and solid body and everything. (weight doesn't really matter to me)

I got the 2013 LPS, while the compound radious neck is good, I still prefer the rounded slim taper neck. but, this thing has coil splitting and pure bypass and phase changing, it's pretty versatile.

Now, if your son wants to Mod his Les Paul, get him a used Standard with his choice of neck and such. I'd go for an older used Standard model. At 16, he can learn that all guitars aren't the same and a little mixin' and matchin' doesn't hurt. make sure you use Gibson parts though.

An example: I had an SG I picked up for $500 used. I added a large pickguard and some new pickups, as well as some other mods and adjustments. this was last year so I was 15. It's really fun to play with guitars when you have an idea of what you want

Archived