Gibson Brands Forums

Went to Namm 2014

JuanCarlosVejar

Visited the martin , gibson & guild booth.

Got to meet Don Ruffato and Ren. Both were super kind

I presented myself to Ren and I said you don't know me but ... he stopped me right there

and loojed at my namm bage and said I do know you Juan it's great to meet you

Finally then some spanish dealer requested an interview with him , he said wait three minutes ...

Once he was done he told the spanish guys come over here I want you to meet a customer of mine of many years

And I meet the two guts and a girl .That was a beautiful moment that I will never forget.

Don also was very laid back he told me a story of the new limited edition Bob Dylan J 200

With double pickguard and Bella Voce inlays

The 1928 L1 reissue was super as was the guild doyle dykes model

and a lefty epiphone texan . And the martin 000 28 k was excellente

I ONLY have 2 photos which ill post later

JC

Visited the martin , gibson & guild booth.

Got to meet Don Ruffato and Ren. Both were super kind

I presented myself to Ren and I said you don't know me but ... he stopped me right there

and loojed at my namm bage and said I do know you Juan it's great to meet you

Finally then some spanish dealer requested an interview with him , he said wait three minutes ...

Once he was done he told the spanish guys come over here I want you to meet a customer of mine of many years

And I meet the two guts and a girl .That was a beautiful moment that I will never forget.

Don also was very laid back he told me a story of the new limited edition Bob Dylan J 200

With double pickguard and Bella Voce inlays

The 1928 L1 reissue was super as was the guild doyle dykes model

and a lefty epiphone texan . And the martin 000 28 k was excellente

I ONLY have 2 photos which ill post later

JC

More proof that Ren is indeed a class act.

Juan Carlos,

Are you in "The Business" .It would appear so, being at the show and being referred to as a customer of many years.

Oh,

Do you now see a Guild in your future? [biggrin]

Juan Carlos,

Are you in "The Business" .It would appear so, being at the show and being referred to as a customer of many years.

JC is "in the business" in that he has had several high-end custom Gibsons built. I believe he is a lefty, which almost requires custom guitars if you want to replicate all the right-hand characteristics (top bracing, for example) in a mirror-image configuration.

here are the photos :

a very nice epiphone texan (lefty)

securedownload-182_zps50697ba1.jpeg

the Bob Dylan J 200 limited edition with rosewood back and sides , double engraved pickguards and the Bella Voce Banjo Inlays ... Don said they worked with Bob Dylan and the note right next to the guitar said they worked with the Dylan Foundation .

download-17_zpsbd5c9d41.jpeg[/url]

JC

I've thought about going to Namm and was curious if everything there is for sale and if you have to pay retail or can you get some great prices on guitars?

Jeremy Fuller said they don't normally sell guitars that the guitars are there mostly for people to try them but maybe if you did like something a sales rep from your favorite dealer would try to get one if the company (martin , taylor , guild , gibson or which ever) would be willing to sell it to you .

JC

More proof that Ren is indeed a class act.

Juan Carlos,

Oh,

Do you now see a Guild in your future? [biggrin]

G ,

no but I have done a few guitars with gibson including a hbird tv with a ren ferguson signed top and I am still awaiting completion of a master museum J 200 that Ren was just starting up when he retired from gibson .

I asked him if he will use Bhilwara rosewood with guild and he told me he wants to but Guild loses money on every guitar they build because they have a debt to pay so they need a capitalist that can help them out in order to be able to acquire new building materials like the said Bhilwara rosewood which he loves . He also said he was trying to get back in surfing which he did in his younger years

JC

G ,

no but I have done a few guitars with gibson including a hbird tv with a ren ferguson signed top and I am still awaiting completion of a master museum J 200 that Ren was just starting up when he retired from gibson .

I asked him if he will use Bhilwara rosewood with guild and he told me he wants to but Guild loses money on every guitar they build because they have a debt to pay so they need a capitalist that can help them out in order to be able to acquire new building materials like the said Bhilwara rosewood which he loves . He also said he was trying to get back in surfing which he did in his younger years

JC

That's pretty cool, JC! Your MM J-200 has to be one of the very last that Ren's completing... no idea it's taken THIS long to finish these off!

Tell Ren I'd like to see a video of him surfing again -- ha!!

Fred

That's pretty cool, JC! Your MM J-200 has to be one of the very last that Ren's completing... do idea it's taken THIS long to finish these off!

Tell Ren I'd like to see a video of him surfing again -- ha!!

Fred

Fred ,

Ren said it-s going to be the very last one and he will include a special book with photos of every stage of the guitar .

he said he will fly out personally to deliver the guitar in houston and he said he had picked the very best sitka spruce he could find and the niceset quilted maple .

I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more

JC

Ren said it-s going to be the very last one and he will include a special book with photos of every stage of the guitar .

he said he will fly out personally to deliver the guitar in houston and he said he had picked the very best sitka spruce he could find and the niceset quilted maple .

THAT is cool!

Fred ,

Ren said... he had picked the very best sitka spruce he could find and the niceset quilted maple .

JC

That's scary: the best Sitka he could find and the nicest quilted maple 'cause he's found some pretty amazing pieces of those woods in his time. I'm anxious to see it when it's done.

Glad you are having a great time.

You did let me down though, JC: Music Villa posted the vid of the J-29. I subscribe so I got their email but I always come here instead to see your review and read the comments. But, you haven't posted it yet. I'll let you off the hook though, seeing as you're on a fact-finding tour.

FMA

Nice JC. Can't wait to see pics of your incoming. This has been in the works for awhile?

Any chance of getting a better pic of the BD j200?

AP ,

I forgot to mention each guitar will be signed by Bob Dylan !!

more details here , better pictures than mine ... that back is stunning :

http://www.musicradar.com/news/acoustic/namm-2014-gibson-shows-bob-dylan-sj-200-model-592591/3

JC

JC, that is awesome! On all accounts - going to NAMM, meeting Ren, the new guitar!

I am curious if you saw any interesting models from Gibson, either acoustic or electric. I saw a picture of what looks like two new ES-345 models, but I have not heard any details. Also looks like they are reissuing the ES-225, but again this is just from a picture with no details.

JC, that is awesome! On all accounts - going to NAMM, meeting Ren, the new guitar!

I am curious if you saw any interesting models from Gibson, either acoustic or electric. I saw a picture of what looks like two new ES-345 models, but I have not heard any details. Also looks like they are reissuing the ES-225, but again this is just from a picture with no details.

The trini lopez model is what I saw

JC

here are the photos :

a very nice epiphone texan (lefty)

securedownload-182_zps50697ba1.jpeg

This would be perfect for Dhanners [thumbup]. What did you think of the Texan Juan? I believe this is the new tweaked version, and would like to get my hands on one to try and compare with my 09 version.

My local large chain over here Dawson`s isn`t going to stock them!

Steve.

They're bringing out a Trini Lopez model? Does it look like a real Trini Lopez model and not Pelham Blue?

FMA

There are a couple of videos on youtube showing this guitar. One has a Gibson rep talking about this guitar and several others. The other has Greg Koch playing it a little bit.

Archived