Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan Super Bowl Ad

duluthdan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surrounded by heathens.

Well, ZW, the weren't from NY. The Tappan Zee was the route we used to take around NYC when you were afraid your VW bug would break down on the Cross Bronx, and be reduced to a gutted hulk 15 minutes after you left it to look for help.....

His guitar looked more like an L-20 to me.

At about 17 seconds there is a quick look at the upper side - kind of looks like barn door electronics? You may be right, overall it looks to be smaller bodied than an SJ, and Mr. Dylan is kind of a little guy. Big legend, but a small guy.

I just heard the Chobani yogurt ad with "I Want You" in the soundtrack. I guess Bob cares about good nutrition, too. Seriously, though, I don't much care if he makes commercials. However, I've never bought the "song and dance man" pose. The guy who wrote "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol" and "The Ballad of Emmitt Till" was not just a song and dance man. And, has anyone seen Bob Dylan dance?

I just heard the Chobani yogurt ad with "I Want You" in the soundtrack. I guess Bob cares about good nutrition, too. Seriously, though, I don't much care if he makes commercials. However, I've never bought the "song and dance man" pose. The guy who wrote "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol" and "The Ballad of Emmitt Till" was not just a song and dance man. And, has anyone seen Bob Dylan dance?

Yes, last time I saw him he decided to ditch the guitar and piano in favour of busting some moves centre stage - which goes to show you never quite know what to expect from Bob Dylan. He looked like Charlie Chaplin.

First of all, does anyone think Bob dylan gives a monkeys what a bunch of folk on a guitar form think? Course not... he's cast off that voice of a generation stuff since it happened, turned his back on the folkies etc... essentially he's a contradictory man, it's as simple as that... the real hypocrisy is not in him 'selling out' is in the criticism of him for making money from within a country that is obsessed about making money more than it is anything else. As someone said ealier "it's the American way" and it is, he's basically plying his wares for money and taking loads of free publicity for himself on top.

The only people precious about music are the ones not making any... while we may extol a whole range of meanings and values to it, it is essentially a commodity, bands fund themselves by 'selling out' every night... and I bet one whiff of a pay-day and all of you would do the same.

I think Id prefer if Germans made both the beer and the car..

Actually, leave the beer making to the Czechs.

"Czech" beer is a German beer - the Czechs just kept the breweries after the German Sudetenland population was moved out post-1945.

Plzen = Pilsen; Budějovice = Budweis.

And as good as the beers made in the Czech Republic are, the country has nothing like the astonishing variety of quality brews found in Deutschland ( or Belgium for that matter).

The Dylan ad missed the mark here as well though - the USA has seen a resurgence in craft breweries - while large breweries (including, ironically Budweiser) sell less, craft breweries have grown from virtually nil to about 2500 in the last 20 years.

The Froggy Bottoms, John Walkers & Kevin Kopps of the hop world!

The Dylan ad missed the mark here as well though - the USA has seen a resurgence in craft breweries - while large breweries (including, ironically Budweiser) sell less, craft breweries have grown from virtually nil to about 2500 in the last 20 years.

Agree with that completely. It'a whole lot of fun to sample local craft beers when you travel to other parts of the US. There are some good'uns out there.

Wouldn't an even better debate be how many folk jump on the music of someone as soon as they've karked it? Nobody's heard of/spoken of/listened to Pete Seeger for donkeys years, now he's fitted out for a pine dufflecoat everybody's a #1 fan.

Including Chris Evans. He played Turn, Turn, Turn on the Radio 2 Breakfast Show last week. It brought back memories of all those times when he and his hilarious sidekick Wiiiiill had old Pete on playing the alcohol-themed adaptation of If I Had a Hammer, 'If I Could Get Hammered', on TFI Friday. Come to think of it, Wiiill often wore a duffel coat.

"Czech" beer is a German beer - the Czechs just kept the breweries after the German Sudetenland population was moved out post-1945.

And as good as the beers made in the Czech Republic are, the country has nothing like the astonishing variety of quality brews found in Deutschland ( or Belgium for that matter).

But very few German beers really hit the level of bitterness that you get from a genuine Pilsner. Bitburger maybe.

And, has anyone seen Bob Dylan dance?

I have - 33 years back around Saved.

The good Bob sat down the black Strat he was playing at the time and went into some kind of corny show-dance including rather cühl - yet not fully controlled - moves with pointing finger-patterns. As I recall it there were female singers on stage in the period and he might have interacted a bit with them - not in any direct conventional man to woman ritual tho.

He wore shades and maybe therefore managed to get out of the stunt alive. Saw him later that same summer in Southern France - where it didn't happen.

For those who do not know - the artist from there on began to lose spirit, , , , drained by rock'n'roll life, too many gigs and the reality of the 80's.

Saw him more than a handful of times after that and he was spiraling down in flames. NOT a nice sight, , , or sound.

Untill 1998 when he suddenly - after gettin' over a serous illness - surprised by being together, , , , and extraordinary good. Further from there he stayed okay - still inconsístant like don't know what.

Take it or leave it - I was there

1981 - Bob1981.jpg the exact funky-dance-concert

Actually there are over 150 breweries in the Czech Republic, so Im not really sure where youre getting your 'lack of variety' assumption. Plus, if you looked on the map you would notice Plzen and Budejovice are both in southern czech republic, while German Sudetenland was a part from the north .... in other words, I think you've got no idea what youre talking about.

Having said that, I do love German brews also.

Actually there are over 150 breweries in the Czech Republic, so Im not really sure where youre getting your 'lack of variety' assumption. Plus, if you looked on the map you would notice Plzen and Budejovice are both in southern czech republic, while German Sudetenland was a part from the north .... in other words, I think you've got no idea what youre talking about.

Having said that, I do love German brews also.

Dont you drink fosters ?

Are you guys talkin' about beers. Well, here's Bobs contribution. . . ,-)

She wakes him up forty-eighthours later the sun is breaking

near broken chains mountain laurel and rolling rocks

She's begging to know what measures he now will be taking

He'spulling her down and she's clutching on to his long golden locks

Wonder if anyone recognizes this quote -

Archived