Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: J45

michaelnel

Well, I went down to the San Francisco Guitar Center Sunday after work. They had two J35s and two J45 standards. Played and listened to them all. I liked the sound of both of the J45s better than either of the J35s, and one of the two J45s really spoke to me, and made me take it home.

They gave me an excellent price, and they ordered another brand new one from Gibson for me. When it arrives I will have the option of swapping the one I have now for the new one if I like it better than the one I have now.

I have put new strings on it (EJ16s), and adjusted the relief. String heights at the nut / first fret are where I want them and the action at the 12th fret is also right where I like it, so I think it is likely I will keep the one I have in spite of a few very tiny scratches on the finish.

I'm a happy camper. [thumbup]

j45-front-X2.jpg

Note that the blotchiness on the top is really reflections. In real life the sunburst is very smooth and even and the whole guitar looks great.

Congratulations, J-45's are just wonderful guitars.

Having said that, this J-45 does look a bit different than a tupical J-45. Im specifically referring to the resoewood on the fretboard and in particular bridge, its sort of 'figured' for a lack of a better word. And the burst looks somewhat different, a bit darker than normal J-45, interesting ..

its sort of 'figured' for a lack of a better word. And the burst looks somewhat different, a bit darker than normal J-45, interesting ..

I think the figuring in the rosewood looks cool. The darkness of the burst might just be me overprocessing the image in Lightroom. I bumped up the contrast some. It's not that dark in real life.

Congs on this brave legend - may it serve you well.

Mine had a fair amount of compression when I got it, but loosens slowly up (not the guitar I play the most).

By compression I mean a slightly delayed response and an obvious 'roof' in the response when suddenly punch with more expression.

Do I understand this is not the right top-hue - did you treat it.

Mine is a degree browner, which gives it a muddy-golden face, but Anne said she had sensed 45's change to something lighter now, , , and you know Gibsons go through changes and waves.

Don't forget to report about the coming A/B - exciting !

Here's one that more accurately shows the colors, , ,

Yep, that one I recognize - more like the common hue (and mine).

Though we know bursts change with the light of day, in or outdoor settings, types of lighting, it's a good thing to try and portrait them as accurate as possible.

Simply because Bozeman makes these wave-twists that every decent burst-lover follows like fans followed Picasso, , , or surfers look out for the weather. . .

Are the binding slightly creamed ?

I've wanted one of these for 20 years or so, ever since I attended a fiddle camp put on by the Montana Fiddlers Association near Great Falls Montana (yes, I was a fiddler for a while) and there was a local Montana guy who was playing the absolute best rhythm guitar backing for the fiddlers who were performing. He was playing a J45, first one I ever heard live. Of course he'd have sounded great on any quality guitar, but still that J45 stuck in my mind as something I had to have some day.

Now I have one. I just wish I had 1/10 of that guy's talent! [biggrin]

Yep I have some serious GAS now seeing your J45, What a beaut. I went into my local GC several weeks back to see if they had an AJ in stock as I was waiting for delivery on one that I had purchased from a member on a other Forum I belong to. They didn't have an AJ but had a real nice J45 sitting there so I picked it up and man I was in love. The AJ arrived and it was a killer also so I was real happy about that. Is there enough difference between the AJ and a J45 that I should have both..... :) Congrats

That's a pretty guitar, BluesKing777. Much different sunburst than mine, more of a tricolor burst. I like them both.

Thanks Michael......could be the photographer, me! I don't think it has quite as much red.

So I grabbed the J45 out of my rack after posting earlier and hit the E chord for a big beginning to hear...Oh Oh...yuk. I left it in DADGAD tuning last time I played it. (Which is sounding great now, by the way, but when the guitar was new it was too bright for that kind of tuning, but now.....)

BluesKing777.

Looking at the burst on mine in good light, there is NO black in it at all. There is also no red or yellow. It is exclusively shades of brown from no brown to very dark brown. Even the top section, the upper bouts which look black in some pictures are in reality just a very very dark brown. I think it looks good, but it's not even tobacco burst.

Archived