Gibson Brands Forums

Rename him?

LarryUK

Over the past few years I've noticed that Joe Bonamassa seems to be getting greedy. BCC split because of money and it wasn't Glenn Hughes' fault. They were going to play by me, but the ticket price was double the normal price for the venue and GH commented on his Facebook page that he didn't like it. Then they split. Onto now..I've just had this in an email.

http://jbonamassa.com/merchandise/bonamassa_lithographs/rory-lithograph-16/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Litho+16&utm_content=Litho+16+CID_1918e7a244a03252be4a5ee4101ba481&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Joe%20Bonamassa%20RORY%20Collectible%20Limited%20Edition%20Lithograph%20100%20Limited%20Edition%20Lithograph%20Click%20To%20Buy%20Now%20Comes%20with%202%20tickets%20to%20a%20show%20of%20your%20choice%20and%20a%20Bonamassa%20meet%20%20greet%20Now%20affordable%20international%20shipping

Money for nothing really. So, from now it's Greedy Joe B to me. I understand it's supply/demand but Joe certainly doesn't have the 'Blues' when it comes to money.

Hello!

He can play really great! Great, but completely cold.

However, I am very tired of His newsletters full of rather stupid merchandise, but I had to sign in to win that Peter Frampton Les Paul. :D

Cheers... Bence

I can't watch a concert with him. He bores me. I bought his last album 'Driving towards the daylight' What a load of rubbish that was. He may be a good player, but he's no songwriter. I suppose I'll be shot down for saying this but He's not got a ounce of the style and song writing ability of Slash. He's a better player, but lacks a lot. I'd say he's a case of someone being told that he's great and now he believes it. When I watch his videos of his gear, he has different amps that really sound the same.

- Why Zeppelin haven't sued him for this I don't know too.

I have to agree, Bonamassa's technically a great guitar player, but he's totally devoid of feeling for what he's playing, he's certainly no Paul Kossoff!

Also, you do get the impression that he's just a money making machine, he'll sell anything if he gets the chance. I've bought quite a few of his albums in the past, but I now feel totally "Bonamassaed out". The one exception to that is the work he's done with Beth Hart, she's saved him from being totally boring to me.

Ian

Hello!

He can play really great! Great, but completely cold.

However, I am very tired of His newsletters full of rather stupid merchandise, but I had to sign in to win that Peter Frampton Les Paul. :D

Cheers... Bence

That!!!

I couldn't agree more Bence!

I'm not sure we can neccessarily fault JB, and I'm certainly no adoring fan... What I am is respectful of and thankful for, is his seemingly untold hours of support and self-invested promotion of amateur and working class musicians. While I don't even particularly like his playing and music other than a couple renditions of staples and classics when he pulls of a true to the original tribute, I think what he does with his money is actually quite philanthropic...

I think we need to look past the surface on this...

Ted Nugent was accused of similar things... His endless self-promotion and over-the-top self-aggrandizing had a deep and far more meaningful purpose than increasing his own wealth... If we do our research we'll realize he was one of the top 3 draws for the Make A Wish Foundation for decades taking terminally ill kids on Alaskan hunts and epic outdoor adventures of a lifetime. He is also a long-standing member of The USO and frequently tours for troops abroad and is tirelessly campaigning for The Wounded Warriors Foundation for crippled and disabled combat veterans along with treatment of PTSD, etc. These events, productions, and campaigns cost somebody untold dollars. These are the things he does with his money. And when Make A Wish put the binders on hunting trips for terminally ill youth, Uncle Ted said F-U to them and started his own organization called; Kamp For Kids which puts on huge outdoor adventure camps for terminally ill children and lots of kids battling cancer both terminal and treatable... He also does much the same for underprivileged inner city kids too if I'm not mistaken, but for sure kids suffering from all sorts of illnesses...

His Rock & Roll just happens to be the cash-cow he's tapped into in order to achieve all these great philanthropic endeavors which simply couldn't be done without the fortune he's amassed as a rock star to back it all up...

I've seen how much JB puts himself out there promoting amateur events and promoting the support of and for musicians of every level and stage throughout the world. I expect that he's doing much the same in order to financially support those endeavors by allowing his Rock & Roll proceeds to be compounded and collected to fund these events and promotions...

Not that I have any real insight, but I've seen him everywhere promoting and sponsoring amateur musician events and productions himself alot. I suspect he's also active in charity too...

For that behind the scenes altruism, I think I'll give him the nod for being a little greedy on something as less crucial as a rock/music concert and promotion...

I think these guys have earned a pass for these things...

I think they're paying it forward and back!

I wonder if anyone bought his £100 bobble head toy. I imagine that the cost of his merchandise is down to his manager. In Joe B's documentary he said all the business side of things was done by Roy Weisman

Joe B, to me, is like a robot, or computer! Technically proficient, devoid of feeling.

I have friends that are big JB fans, but I've never cared for his playing, at all.

Too "sterile," for me. He, indeed, MAY be "greedy," but if I was going to "rename"

him, it would be "Robo-Joe!"

IMHO, as always...

CB

Yes, I admire JB's (and, other's mentioned), "Technique," and "Shredding" abilities.

And, the hours of work, they've put into achieving it. I'm certainly no "shredder,"

myself. So, it's interesting, even amazing, ability wise. But, one song/number of

that is plenty enough, for Me. [tongue]:rolleyes: But, I have the same feeling about Jazz sax,

and trumpet players, that go on and on, with their own type of "shredding!"

Guess I'm more in the Miles Davis, BB King style, where Less Is (definitely) More!

So...??? [tongue]

CB

That is the same for me when I listen to Satch or some of the other shreaders. Yes he and they are technicaly proficiant but after a few songs I get bored with how fast and acurate they can play and want some feeling.

I hear it a lot with shredders too. Michael Angelo Batio is a good example. He might be able to play on 2 guitar necks at any one time but he seems to lack passion

I'm on the other side of most of the opinions I think he's a great player, writes good songs, and doesn't bore me at all.

Let's just try for a moment to go beyond the stylistic critiques and give credit where credit is due,. He's no one trick pony, he can mix it up and play just about any style he wishes. you can be hatin on him and what his marketing people are doig to make money (after all it's their job to do this) that's ok.. really. to each his own.

Now -- about the link in the original post.. (the picture)..

again, to each.. if one hs enough money to drop that much cash on that "picture" then, good for them and good for Joe.

Me? I'd rather see the money go towards another axe, amp, or some gear that a fella could use, rather than a photo that hangs on someones wall. Then again, there are people that will pay $50k for a vintage paul and stick in a glass case and never even consider playing it. their money,... you got it? go for it. I don't get it, but - hey,, not mine to decide.

How many people work for free? I don't. If Joe wants to sell Bobbleheads or Lithograohs or charge outragous ticket prices and you don't want to pay simply don't. I am certainly not defending Joe in any way shape or form. I did see him in concert, but I went to see BB King and he was the opener and I had never heard of Joe before that. He was good. He did a killer version of Yes's - Heart Of The Sunrise. That was unexpected. Kenny Wayne Shepard was there too.

I saw him on this same tour and he kicked some ***. This was before he got real popular. I saw him again a few years later and it was boring as all get out. Its the only show I've been to where chairs were set up on the floor. I felt like I was in church not a concert. First time I ever fell asleep at a show. It's a shame

You can't question Joe's work ethic, but I really think releasing several albums a year is to much, I think if he's not careful he will cut his own longevity, because people will just get fed up with him. Regarding Bobbleheads and Lithographs, who, in all seriousness would want them? They really are the height of bad taste.

Ian

I can't fault a guy for making an honest living-

Blues players don't seem to have much longevity, it's not a mass-selling artform.

You have to admit, he's one of the hardest working guys in the biz. But, oversaturation can hurt you more than help sometimes-(Duck Dynasty anyone?)

And, I do think its a bit presumtious constantly being refered to as "The New BLUES TITAN"

Still, if people wanna buy into all the accessories, why not make it available to them?

Make it when and while you can Joe!

Maybe his goal is to be the wealthiest blues player in history!

Contrary to public opinion, pro musicians are in it to be succesfull, and make money.

I never heard any musician say-

"I just want to express my art- you can keep all the money I make"

I agree with most on the fact of oversaturation, and I agree the emails from his website are hit or miss on if it's worth looking at or not. Haven't had a lot of exposure to JB but liked what I hear thus far, won't say I like all his music either. As most agree his work ethic is to the hilt, and his PR team is utilizing every option to make money, and agree some things are over the top such as a bobbleheads or other cheap trinkets. Having said that I think he is very talented, and can see where someone would feel he is robotic or no feeling. If one can see inside of a mans soul maybe then they could judge him, but based upon actions and gestures is not a good avenue to make a statement of "no feeling" in my opinion. He is a nerdy type fella so I think a lot of his robotic attitude may stem from that too. Guess I will be able to make a better assessment when my wife and I go to see him in Columbus, Ohio on November 20th, purchased tickets almost a week ago now, good seats not to close not to far. Hey if anyone wants a bobblehead maybe I can pick them up one whilst there lmao!

Archived