Gibson Brands Forums

Why country music sucks.

Searcy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but when you see people like the florida georgia group doing country rap its obvious how weak mainstream country really is.

Or maybe there are a bunch of kids living in rural America who grew up on both rap and country who love this kinda $hit! ... just sayin' :rolleyes:

Hasn't mainstream country always been weak (compared to the good stuff underground)? At some point we might have to address the buyers not just the industry, eh?

I'd say "mainline country" is just more or less what gets on the radio as opposed to defining a genre.

I keep thinking how much difference between Patsy Cline and Hank Sr. in terms of everything from orchestration to progressions.

But then, maybe I've lived where I've lived too long. I keep seeing and hearing anything in local saloons and street dances that runs from "bile them cabbage down" to stuff I'd almost have to classify as jazz - as has been a lotta Willie's stuff.

m

I think there is a lot of confused ownership of "country" music, or any other kind. Confusing pop music with what one loves is sorta like nutritious fast food, it's a fools mission. This stuff is concocted in factories by highly trained professionals, designed to push buttons and stroke nerves directly connected to the ears by providing images to the listener. At that it succeeds huge. At being whatever one thinks of as real country music, rock music, jazz, whatever, it fails. If you think of it as what it is instead of what you think it should be, it works well and you can see and hear the skills it took to put pop music of any genre together.

rct

These "new age" country "artists" are just a tarted up version of the stereotypical lounge singer stuck in their idea of what a C&W singer should look like.These whiny,maudlin pseudo cowboys are no more country than Justa Beaver is a blues wailer.If Danny Gatton,Buck Owens,Merle Travis etc. were alive today,clowns such as these wouldn`t get as much as a toe over the doorstep of the Grand Ole Opry.As far as I`m concerned the insipid,drivel that`s being touted as country music these days is no more a representation of country music than One Direction is of Thrash Metal.

Or maybe there are a bunch of kids living in rural America who grew up on both rap and country who love this kinda $hit! ... just sayin' :rolleyes:

Hasn't mainstream country always been weak (compared to the good stuff underground)? At some point we might have to address the buyers not just the industry, eh?

Used to be said that the largest record-buying (I know I'm showing my age) segment of the population was 14 to 18 years old.... So there ya go - if this is true today, it's the kids that determine what's supposed to be good . msp_crying.gif

I'm also increasingly convinced that much of the music-buying public is not all that dissimilar to that of 50-60 years ago - largely the youth market.

Nowadays that means also that much of their reflection on just about anything comes from various social media - in short, just a different way that peer pressures are developed and the teen goes whereever.

OTOH, sometimes older folks can be just about a lemming-like in listening music choices.

My grandparents weren't all that much into Glen Miller, either.

m

I'm also increasingly convinced that much of the music-buying public is not all that dissimilar to that of 50-60 years ago - largely the youth market.

Nowadays that means also that much of their reflection on just about anything comes from various social media - in short, just a different way that peer pressures are developed and the teen goes whereever.

OTOH, sometimes older folks can be just about a lemming-like in listening music choices.

My grandparents weren't all that much into Glen Miller, either.

m

That's interesting, and reminded me of an interview I read in the June edition of Guitarist magazine with former EMI engineer Ken Scott who worked on a lot of the Beatles and Pink Floyd recordings, in which he states:

"We're reaching a point that we have to make a turnaround, otherwise music is doomed. I think that change will come. I'm a firm beliver in talent, but it's pretty bad at the moment. I liken it to before The Beatles. There were so many acts signed because of the way they looked, as opposed to the way they sounded. They were manufactured, and so many acts today are manufactured. Then The Beatles came along and changed everything. It's almost like that again. We're waiting for the next Beatles"

I think that says it all.

Ian

My only objection to the comment is that I figure it's not likely any group will hit like the Beatles did. It's not a matter of talent or style or even genre, but rather the splintering and explosion of potential media sources compared to the early '60s.

As I've noted elsewhere, there ain't no Ed Sullivan Show that everybody in the US watches so that regardless of taste, everybody knows something about.

That's a problem for the industry at large.

Seriously, around here the more successful local bands seem to offer a mix of rock and country that's very much a "pick and choose material" more than "gotta be a genre." That means that in an hour's set, nearly everybody in a saloon will hear something they recognize and will learn to stick around - which keeps the band being asked back and sells more booze.

m

It occurs to me that the Beatles themselves actually spent much of their career continually becoming "the new Beatles" and in doing so forged (or laid the platform for others to) virtually every RnR legend, rite and cliche for decades to follow. Media splintering might well continue at an ever increasing pace as the $$$ pie is endlessly sliced. There is of course now a virtually global reach of folks spending more and more time looking at the pie mind you.

Great point re the hour's set - country viewed/heard as a somewhat indefinable yet somehow identifiable look/feel/sound offers an unrivalled mix of foot tappin', beer gazin', close dancin' and fight pickin' vibes so that there's something for everyone - often from one tune to the next. Dead right that appeals to licencees and provides a steady income for some very good musicians - a good thing! so irrespective if we like the music, it doesn't suck from the perspective of getting to see and hear some talented people actually playing real live music in a real live venue.

I dont think Cntry music sucks,,if you listen to an Eagles album from the 70's,,IE: all there big hits,,"Already gone",,Tequela Sunrise",,and my all time fav,,,"Take it easy"{man I love that tune} ,,most of whats considered "Country" today,,has the same instrumentation ,,feel,,many similar vocal works,,its almost like its the same thing. But the difference is the Eagles did it 35 yrs before whats out today. Hats off them for sure. Our culture steers alot of whats out today also,,make no mistake. Theres alot of modern cntry I like,,Billy Currington,B Paisly,,K urban,,I really like Brooks +Dunn,,Id love to jam with those guys! Leeann Womack is great,,many great female artists as well,,could go on down the list. Myself,,if I want to get "Country" around my house,,,I pull out the ol' "Country folk can survive" Mr Hank JR,,but thats just my roots,,I showed up in boots,,and ruined your blacktie affair" {Mr Garth brooks}lol We got friends in low places,,another great tune/artist. Dont mind me,,Im gonna go fire up my John Deere.

The title of this thread shows ignorance of the genre.

If'n you citiboys don't like Country Music, then stay out of honkey tonks and stick to the interstate highways.

I don't like rocky rolly music, and it's derivative, rap. I don't berate those who like it. I just keep my comments to myself and stay out of gay bars.

Tommy...

I think there's also a difference between what kinda country from what era one might tend to prefer.

I played a lotta "country" in the '70s for money, but except out here in the world of nowhere but a sea of grass, it'd likely go over fairly well - but when we had Jake Owen here a cupla years ago you coulda almost had a rodeo in front of the stage without worrying about anybody getting hurt.

That's no insult to Jake, btw. It's just a reflection of the way things are.

m

Did I mention that I hate Dwight Yokums nasaly little voice? He is a great actor, but his music SUCKS!!!!! there are some good country songs, but dang, the lyrics are singing is awful.

if you like country/folk music try his acoustic americana album. it is a nice album. he is a bit nasally but still great when it comes to bluegrass styled and honky tonk music. and a superb lyric writer. given his last album was good but not his best. but songs like buenas noches from a lonely room.... great song writing.

there's tons of good modern country. the sons: shooter jennings and lukas nelson, ryan adams (with or without the cardinals), scott h. biram, jaimie johnson, and so many more.... if you haven't listened to these guys and you consider yourself a fan of classic country sound then you are missing out. shooter holds his daddy high. and with good reason. he can rock his *** off like on the hierophant album and then maintains a rebel country side on his other albums. same with ryan adams. you never know what to expect with him. but you know there will be good songwriting involved. and if you want to hear a good female (countryish) artist look up star anna... from what i was told she was discovered by mike mccready.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Words like Best - Worst - Good - Bad - Sucks- Greatest should not be used in threads. In music as in so many things, what you like is all a matter of personal taste. All those adjectives can not be proven. Is a Mickey D hamburger better that the one you can make at home or get at Red Robin (yum). If you, say yes or no, it is just a matter or your opinion and it can not be proved - only discussed and argued about. We really need to stop, Best - Worst - Good - Bad - Sucks -Greatest__________________ (insert word) threads. What we should use is "favorite". If I say ___________ are my favorite group. That can not be debated, cause it is my opinion of what I like.

Granted, but then...what would anyone have to talk and argue about, on these forums?! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I've said it before and I will say it again. Words like Best - Worst - Good - Bad - Sucks- Greatest should not be used in threads. In music as in so many things, what you like is all a matter of personal taste. All those adjectives can not be proven. Is a Mickey D hamburger better that the one you can make at home or get at Red Robin (yum). If you, say yes or no, it is just a matter or your opinion and it can not be proved - only discussed and argued about. We really need to stop, Best - Worst - Good - Bad - Sucks -Greatest__________________ (insert word) threads. What we should use is "favorite". If I say ___________ are my favorite group. That can not be debated, cause it is my opinion of what I like.

so then we should not call any genre of music good or bad....? i thought we were supposed to add our input or even our opinions. let me rephrase this.... there are tons of newer country musicians that can hold a candle to those of old such as the ones i listed in my last comment. or if you want to hear musicians that have an older feel to them listen to the listed artists above.... does that work better? can we not critique music anymore? has it gotten so politically correct in the world of musical arts that our own opinions towards music piss people off and we have to not use words to describe it such as "good" or "bad". what about zappa? was he bad? was he good? or great? if i say a band is good that is my opinion. just like me saying a certain band is my favorite. its practically the same thing.... of course i'm going to think the band is good if i consider them my favorite..... how about not arguing for the sake of arguing and just read and respect the opinions of others. or actually add some positivity to the conversation instead of trying to belittle everyone?

ultimately nothing can be proven and everything is perception and opinion.

then again "Why country music is not my favourite" may not have been as eye-catching and provocative a thread title. [biggrin]

...IMO [biggrin]

In a sense I think we can go back to the initial proposition that "country music sucks," not because of what it purports to be as a genre, but because current material in the genre seems to many to be repeats of repeats of repeats in the genre - or too much as though it were rock instead.

Frankly that's the impression I get of all current "popular" music genres.

Then again, I'm a grouchy old man.

I tend to think that the 50s and 60s were the same thing in a sense regardless of the so-called "British Invasion."

Why? Because whether you considered yourself a listener to country, rock or pop, it all was in a state of flux with many, many variations of sound from a wide variation of artists. A lotta material could have been considered country, rock or pop - and with a slight variation of instrumentation, jazz.

Now? On occasion when I turn on my car radio, I have some difficulty figuring whether the station is rock or country, not because of a wide variety of musical styles per genre, but because neither seems to have special identifying characteristics other than that one normally expects to hear an understandable lyric in "country."

I'll say this, though, I doubt any "super star" is around the corner to be the crossover star one saw in the '50s and 60s. There ain't no George Jones or Loretta or Beatles or whomever.

That's not because there's less talent out there, but rather there's less opportunity to shine in a nurturing environment.

One other point, I think we've just about hit the max of "stage show" bands too, regardless of genre.

Oh - and the roots of both rock and country? Excepting a dozen or so "names," how many pickers under 30 have a clue? They've listened to the over 30s and are either following or seeking not to follow what made the over-30s successful.

m

Zappa was neither good nor bad. He was a musician that I like and I enjoy his music. I have heard that many people though he was an a-hole and misogynistic. Some people like his music and many people though the was a joke and made comedy records and just wanted to offend people. All I can say is he was one of my favorite musical artists and that I like his music . Tell me how I can prove he was the best or worst? Album sales? Grammys? Popularity? Money he earned during his career as a musician? Respect of his peers? The fact that he is in the R'N'R Hall Of Shame? Because he gave his kids non traditional names? None of it proves anything. It is the same thing as saying Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist. Prove it. Because you cant. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Jimi's music and have many of his albums. Prove to me Catholicism is better that Judaism or Buddhism. You cant. It is your opinion on what is you like or believe. Nothing more and nothing less.

there is a huge difference in saying someone is good and saying someone is the best... and hendrix was not the best. he was innovative. but far from the best. but he was good at what he did. and zappa was awesome. he was also innovative but not the best. but music is art. and art will have critics but that doesn't mean that critics are right. i can point out several good musicians that have never seen a venue greater than 100 people. HoF, record sales, etc, don't mean squat these days. turn the radio on and you will see that. yes that too is an opinion. but once again..... that is the purpose of these forums. to leave our opinions.... and occasionally facts.

Archived