Gibson Brands Forums

Why are Classics and Trads cheaper than Standards?

Rabs

So theres something I have always wondered but never asked...

When I first bought my Classic in 2002 I knew nothing about all the technicalities of guitars or Gibsons... So I went to the shop knowing I wanted a standard type Les Paul and that's about all I knew...

I still remember going in and asking to play a standard and when I did I kind of felt disappointed as previously I had a 92 Studio and it had a 50s neck and presumably so did this standard... It just felt so chunky and almost square at the heal end....

So I explained to the shop owner how I felt and he produced the Classic.. It was exactly the colour I wanted (vintage sunburst)and the second I played it I knew that was it.. The 60s neck was so much nicer to me that I have never looked back as far as neck profile is concerned... and now knowing what I do know, I couldn't have picked a better model.

BUT now to the big question.. Why are the Classics and Trads so much cheaper than a standard... At the time I couldn't tell any difference, I just thought it was a type of Standard and was shocked at the price difference (it was £1400 at the time where a Standard was more like £1900). And even now, I just don't understand that price difference? (the Classic is £1799 and Standard £2099)..

As far as I can tell there is nothing apart from the electronic specs that is actually different to warrant a £300 price difference?

Anyone any idea?

It's probably just marketing. They may have figured those models would sell more at a lower price making it more profitable in the end despite the lower price

The standard has the kind of reputation where they can get away with a higher price, because it's a classic model

It's probably just marketing. They may have figured those models would sell more at a lower price making it more profitable in the end despite the lower price

The standard has the kind of reputation where they can get away with a higher price, because it's a classic model

Well that's the weird thing.. if you want something that's classic and traditional, you can get a Classic or Traditional :)

Standards change massively over the years... remember that 2010 robot Standard?

I still think its just a bit odd...

Not that im complaining... I just want to try and understand :)

Interesting observation Rabs.

I'd happily pay less for a Traditional [biggrin]

I think even the vast majority of guitarists (as opposed to guitar nuts) would refer to a trad simply as a "Gibson Les Paul" and any further delineation beyond that would be irrelevant.

Isn't the biggest difference in the Standard the Asymetrical neck profile? So the difference in cost is shaving the neck in an uneven shape. That makes sense, right?

Only if all Standards had asymmetrical necks... which they don't (as far as I know)

(the 2008 Standard does (as I have one) and the 2014s have them but I think those are the only ones)

There's an old car salesman's saw, "Don't see what you can sell, sell what you can see." i.e. Dont ##*&^# about the dealership's manager not having the right cars on the lot. Sell what is on the lot.

My guess, for that much difference, which isn't much, it could be the store or supplier was more motivated to sell model A than B because that is what he had the most of. Once his stock skews in the direction of model B, then the price differential will shift.

Just be glad you got a 'deal' on the one you liked best.

Its all just marketing. Throw a few inexpensive bells and whistles on a product and then mark it up to cover the inexpensive additions + a good profit and the public will buy it... because it is human nature to want to have the newest, the "best", the latest model, regardless if the product is actually any better for it.

At least this year, the biggest reason for the £300 difference is that the Standard comes with MinE-Tune, which is a $300 product.

-Ryan

I'm glad you brought up the MinE-tune Ryan. Does anyone like that Gibson has included the MinE-tune on most of their guitars? I for one do not, I was considering purchasing another gibby but now I'm looking in another direction.

I hope you've found a different dealer. I bought my 02 standard in 02 for £1299.

Lol.. at the time I knew nothing.. I didn't go on a search.. I just went to the nearest local guitar shop and bought one

Of course now I know much better... (and yes that shop has gone out of business now anyway).... I bought most of my other Gibbies from DV247 who always offer me a deal.

My guess is:

1 - Gotoh locking tuners are more expensive than kluson trad;

2 - Producing a chambered/weight relieved body is more expensive than one that is not;

3 - Pickups;

4 - Painting.

The modern weight relief process might consume most time, but they use it for Studio models, too.

The higher rated maple tops of the Standards also play a role in my opinion.

But as FZ Fan reported from the future, there are plywood bodies to come, and they will be very pricey... [scared]

:P [biggrin]

My guess is:

1 - Gotoh locking tuners are more expensive than kluson trad;

2 - Producing a chambered/weight relieved body is more expensive than one that is not;

3 - Pickups;

4 - Painting.

Hmm... not sure about all that

1, tuners are different on all models

2, the bodies are cut by machine, so I don't think that's much of an issue.. may take an extra minute to cut the weight relief.. plus Classics are also not solid bodies

3, all the pickups are Gibsons so I don't think that's a cost issue either

4, they are all painted with a high gloss finish in the same place by the same people so I don't think that's it either (but I may be wrong)

Maybe its a case of wood selection... ??

Rabs it's funny but I had EXACTLY the same experience when I bought mine. I tried more expensive standard LP's with chunkier necks then played the classic and I said within 2 seconds - "This is it". I didn't know the differences I just knew it was perfect for playing for me. Then I started using it. The pickups are incendiary devices. Too hot and no nuance. The guitar had trouble staying in tune etc. Neck absolutely perfect SO I traded out the stop tail piece and bridge with tone pros, put in a bone nut and new tuners (tone pros vintage replacements) and put burstbuckers 1 and 2 in there. The guy at truetone said "Sh!t, you have a standard now, let's change the truss cover to say so". It still has classic on the head stock though but it is absolutely the perfect guitar for me now.

Rabs it's funny but I had EXACTLY the same experience when I bought mine. I tried more expensive standard LP's with chunkier necks then played the classic and I said within 2 seconds - "This is it". I didn't know the differences I just knew it was perfect for playing for me. Then I started using it. The pickups are incendiary devices. Too hot and no nuance. The guitar had trouble staying in tune etc. Neck absolutely perfect SO I traded out the stop tail piece and bridge with tone pros, put in a bone nut and new tuners (tone pros vintage replacements) and put burstbuckers 1 and 2 in there. The guy at truetone said "Sh!t, you have a standard now, let's change the truss cover to say so". It still has classic on the head stock though but it is absolutely the perfect guitar for me now.

Yeah its funny how I just assumed that a Standard would automatically be better to play because it was more expensive than my Studio..... :)

And I love the pickups on my Classic... they are hot, but I like that :D plus I think they have mellowed ever so slightly since I bought it...

Here's my classic before the mods. It has a "special" flamed maple laminate top so I think it is da bomb. It is by far the best playing guitar for my smallish hands that I have ever laid my smallish hands on. Pick up selector is on the bridge pickup. I should just glue it there.

DSCN0212.jpg

Archived