Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

One of the photos on the Anderton's site seems to show a gloss (or semi gloss) top with a satin body. I remember the satin Masterbilts as looking very grey and hazy when reflecting light (especially on the sunburst models), so maybe this is change.

Red 333

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the photos on the Anderton's site seems to show a gloss (or semi gloss) top with a satin body. I remember the satin Masterbilts as looking very grey and hazy when reflecting light (especially on the sunburst models), so maybe this is change.

Red 333

I noticed that Red. Andertons, I believe, have used a photo of the Epiphone 1963 EJ-45 in there as a filler. They are very lax at times about descriptions of guitars (I am sure they are not alone) - I have found that to my cost in the past. I would lay money on it not having a gloss top.

One thing is still bothering me though - why no Youtube demo?

and before you all ask - no!

So I talked to my luthier who is the absolute best in the area. He runs an authorized Martin warranty repair shop. He said that a really good, professional buff job will make my satin finish worries go away. He's going to charge me $45 (how appropriate).

So yeah...count me in again.

Woohoo!

So I talked to my luthier who is the absolute best in the area. He runs an authorized Martin warranty repair shop. He said that a really good, professional buff job will solve the satin finish worries I began to have. He's going to charge me $45.

Count me in again...woohoo!

That is amazing! Even though I just got my J-45 I am feeling this movement of AJ-45me coming soon! Its getting close!!

db

So I talked to my luthier who is the absolute best in the area. He runs an authorized Martin warranty repair shop.

Woohoo!

Cliff, did I miss the first bit of that sentence? It was like a continuing thought from another post!

So, you're back in the game? Good to hear it - although you were always the keenest as I recall. Even through all those dark days when we thought we would never see the guitar you stayed true to the Masterbilt. It seems like only last week we were all doom and gloom about it and contemplating buying Gibson J45s!!! Oh we of little faith. Oh it was only last week!

Have you heard anything yet about availability over on the western side of the pond?

Obviously I can't speak for North America but I've been looking around this afternoon and as far as I can see Thomann is the only dealer in mainland Europe carrying any at all. So it looks to me as though this first run is extremely limited.

Cliff, did I miss the first bit of that sentence? It was like a continuing thought from another post!

So, you're back in the game? Good to hear it - although you were always the keenest as I recall. Even through all those dark days when we thought we would never see the guitar you stayed true to the Masterbiltj. It seems like only last week we were all doom and gloom about it and contemplating buying Gibson J45s!!! Oh we of little faith. Oh it was only last week!

Have you heard anything yet about availability over on the western side of the pond?

Haha...the other day I was very put off when I noticed a shiny spot on my Recording King Dirty 30's. That had me second guessing everything. After speaking with my luthier this morning, I am back to being totally sure about buying the AJ-45ME.

I just spoke with a sales engineer at Sweetwater. He said they are expecting to have these in hand in early July.

Finally got a price from my local dealer 904.00

Wow! that's steep - I just looked up the exchange rate 82 cents US to the Canadian dollar. In the UK the AJ45 is £439 - from Thomann (in Germany where I bought mine) they were 498 euros, That was £370 ish when converted to sterling. Work that back to US$.

Whilst posting this I looked at the Thomann website. It states: Sorry, The item Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45 ME is not part of our current product range anymore.

????????????????????????????????????????????

In a panic I just checked my order and it is on its way according to the tracking info.

I suspect Thomann cannot get any at the price they were selling at (a good £70 less than UK dealers) and that they will not sell any more or it will re-appear at a higher price at a later date.

Wow! that's steep - I just looked up the exchange rate 82 cents US to the Canadian dollar. In the UK the AJ45 is £439 - from Thomann (in Germany where I bought mine) they were 498 euros, That was £370 ish when converted to sterling. Work that back to US$.

Whilst posting this I looked at the Thomann website. It states: Sorry, The item Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45 ME is not part of our current product range anymore.

????????????????????????????????????????????

In a panic I just checked my order and it is on its way according to the tracking info.

I suspect Thomann cannot get any at the price they were selling at (a good £70 less than UK dealers) and that they will not sell any more or it will re-appear at a higher price at a later date.

That was 904 Canadian taxes included but on the site listed buy price puts it around the Texan price so someone is really mixed up. Still a j-45 ( basically) for less than a grand is a steal

The Texan sells for 529.00 CDA and the AJ-45ME is 799.00 CDA.

It's very interesting how prices differ. I always thought we in the UK paid a high price for guitars. I often look at prices on line from US dealers (Sweetwater, Zzounds etc) to compare prices with the UK. We pay a fixed 20% tax (VAT) on all goods, but I have heard that sales tax varies a great deal from state to state in the USA. What level of sales tax applies in Canada?

Sorry this is off subject but I'm curious.[confused]

I am in Ontario here it is a Harmonized Sales that is 13%. Each province is different.I paid 729.00 on Jan 22 and with the tax it totaled 823.77 so 94.77 in taxes.

I'm in Northern Ontario so I guess, big surprise, every dealer is different

First impressions of AJ45ME

Warning this may be a bit of a ramble. I just typed things as they came to me in some sort of order.

First thing I noticed was the description on the scratch plate blurb. The most interesting item is:

1930s wide X bracing

see this Youtube explanation of J45 bracing. This gives it a little more bass response

It's a dull finish – noticeably dull!

It feels lighter than the Texan (not weighed it though)

It feels more delicate/less rugged than a gloss finish It feels like it would not take the odd knock and come out unscathed

The pick guard? The jury is out on that one – not sure as I like the Gibson teardrop – although it is a nice tortie pattern

It's quieter than the AJ and Texan but that’s a J45 - not a loud and boomy guitar at all

It does have plenty of bass and top end – nice for gentle strumming and finger picking

It does not sound (to me) as good as the Texan when strummed, but I do feel that the Texan is a great strumming guitar – though it may sound better with Elixirs on it. I never use a pick so flat pickers may feel totally different about the sound

It has a sound of its own – I can’t describe it really but it is velvety and almost organ/orchestral like (maybe that’s me and my ear) when the overtones kick in. (I sound like a wine expert, not!)

One thing I listen for (and again maybe it’s just me and my ear) is how the open G string sounds, if it sounds clear and ringing, it’s a good guitar. If it has the hint of a thump/thud/drum sound it’s a less good or has really old strings on it. The AJs have a hint of a thump on an open G. As I say it may be just me. Anyway this baby sounds clear as a bell – as does the Texan – and as I say it, the AJ-45, could do with new strings

I tried it through an amp – just to make sure the electrics work. It sounded louder than my Texan – it may be the battery but I had both fully on volume and tones fully back.

Out the box:

action a bit high

nut is a little too high Bridge may need adjusting too

truss rod needs adjusting

Frets need polishing/board needs lemon oil

The neck feels similar to other Epiphones - Texan, AJ220 etc

basically needs a set up (which the Texan did not need, but I gave it the once over anyway)

strings feel old it needs new but that will be sorted with Elixir Nanoweb 80-20-Bronze-12s, I really like them and have them on the Texan

Finally, for now. The $64000 question?

Is it a keeper?

Well it wasn’t an instant decision at all. If I had picked this up in a shop it would not have shouted “buy me”!. It’s a bit more subtle than that. It is growing on me – and that's over only an hour or so actually playing it and handling it.

I will keep it because where else would I get a J45 for £370 – that’s about $540 US when I last looked at the conversion rate – two minutes ago!!

And finally again! - they do call the J45 the "Workhorse" - so that means it is a guitar you give some "wellie" as we say over here. That means you don't nurse it and polish it and treat it tenderly. You use it and if need be abuse it in the course of duty. I have a Loar archtop with a nitro finish that cost me a lot more than this guitar. I kept it in its case and treated it like a baby - then I knocked it once on the back (top bout) I cried (inwardly) then I decided "it's a guitar - either use it or sell it" I use it and now don't bother if it gets a knock.

Cliff, thanks for the advice but I really don't think a good buffing will protect this AJ-45, as I said it just feels like it wont take knocks and buffing it up to a shine ain't gonna protect it although it might make it look a bit prettier! A poly finish spray may do the trick - not sure. If these things ever have any decent resale value then keepin' 'em as is would be the best bet. But then I would have to nurse it[cursing]

First impressions of AJ45ME

Warning this may be a bit of a ramble. I just typed things as they came to me in some sort of order.

First thing I noticed was the description on the scratch plate blurb. The most interesting item is:

1930s wide X bracing

see this Youtube explanation of J45 bracing. This gives it a little more bass response

It's a dull finish – noticeably dull!

It feels lighter than the Texan (not weighed it though)

It feels more delicate/less rugged than a gloss finish It feels like it would not take the odd knock and come out unscathed

The pick guard? The jury is out on that one – not sure as I like the Gibson teardrop – although it is a nice tortie pattern

It's quieter than the AJ and Texan but that’s a J45 - not a loud and boomy guitar at all

It does have plenty of bass and top end – nice for gentle strumming and finger picking

It does not sound (to me) as good as the Texan when strummed, but I do feel that the Texan is a great strumming guitar – though it may sound better with Elixirs on it. I never use a pick so flat pickers may feel totally different about the sound

It has a sound of its own – I can’t describe it really but it is velvety and almost organ/orchestral like (maybe that’s me and my ear) when the overtones kick in. (I sound like a wine expert, not!)

One thing I listen for (and again maybe it’s just me and my ear) is how the open G string sounds, if it sounds clear and ringing, it’s a good guitar. If it has the hint of a thump/thud/drum sound it’s a less good or has really old strings on it. The AJs have a hint of a thump on an open G. As I say it may be just me. Anyway this baby sounds clear as a bell – as does the Texan – and as I say it, the AJ-45, could do with new strings

I tried it through an amp – just to make sure the electrics work. It sounded louder than my Texan – it may be the battery but I had both fully on volume and tones fully back.

Out the box:

action a bit high

nut is a little too high Bridge may need adjusting too

truss rod needs adjusting

Frets need polishing/board needs lemon oil

The neck feels similar to other Epiphones - Texan, AJ220 etc

basically needs a set up (which the Texan did not need, but I gave it the once over anyway)

strings feel old it needs new but that will be sorted with Elixir Nanoweb 80-20-Bronze-12s, I really like them and have them on the Texan

Finally, for now. The $64000 question?

Is it a keeper?

Well it wasn’t an instant decision at all. If I had picked this up in a shop it would not have shouted “buy me”!. It’s a bit more subtle than that. It is growing on me – and that's over only an hour or so actually playing it and handling it.

I will keep it because where else would I get a J45 for £370 – that’s about $540 US when I last looked at the conversion rate – two minutes ago!!

And finally again! - they do call the J45 the "Workhorse" - so that means it is a guitar you give some "wellie" as we say over here. That means you don't nurse it and polish it and treat it tenderly. You use it and if need be abuse it in the course of duty. I have a Loar archtop with a nitro finish that cost me a lot more than this guitar. I kept it in its case and treated it like a baby - then I knocked it once on the back (top bout) I cried (inwardly) then I decided "it's a guitar - either use it or sell it" I use it and now don't bother if it gets a knock.

Cliff, thanks for the advice but I really don't think a good buffing will protect this AJ-45, as I said it just feels like it wont take knocks and buffing it up to a shine ain't gonna protect it although it might make it look a bit prettier! A poly finish spray may do the trick - not sure. If these things ever have any decent resale value then keepin' 'em as is would be the best bet. But then I would have to nurse it[cursing]

Super cool to read this review from a fellow board member who I totally trust.

That said, two things from your review above are now making me rethink getting this guitar:

1. The volume being quieter than a Texan.

2. It's overall fragility.

My AJ-220S and my Texan are dynamite guitars. I'm not going to pay more money for something that isn't as good as what I already have and I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for nitro or poly work.

I like my guitars loud with tone that's mid-range focused and a rock solid feel. If this thing isn't those things then I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass.

Be sure to post more thoughts once you've put new strings on it.

Super cool to read this review from a fellow board member who I totally trust.

That said, two things from your review above are now making me rethink getting this guitar:

1. The volume being quieter than a Texan.

2. It's overall fragility.

My AJ-220S and my Texan are dynamite guitars. I'm not going to pay more money for something that isn't as good as what I already have and I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for nitro or poly work.

I like my guitars loud with tone that's mid-range focused and a rock solid feel. If this thing isn't those things then I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass.

Be sure to post more thoughts once you've put new strings on it.

Cliff, I hear you. The AJ45 is different - if I summed up my first thoughts that would be it - it's different.

I have wanted a J45, or should I say a round shouldered jumbo guitar, since 1970. I had no idea then what they were, I just loved the shape. My mate had a Hagstrom J45 clone and I really lusted after it. When I came across the Epi AJ220 I really thought I'd found the holy grail. Then I started taking more notice of Gibson J45s and watched Youtube vids and ogled them in the local guitar shop. I could never make a good case for buying a J45 (not even to myself) so when this baby came along I decided like lots more folk that I would have one. It is not a cheap guitar and you do have to think deeply about what it will give you that you haven't already got. I would say that the Texan is a fine guitar and for the price is really fantastic. The AJ 45 is as good. Time will tell if it is better - it should open out in a month or so. When I'm not playing it I'll put it in a room with the radio on in front of it - they say that helps to break em in.

I've got it now so I'm keepin it!

I will keep you posted

Cheers

First impressions of AJ45ME.....

Thanks, Mick, and major congrats! Gorgeous photos!

It's quieter than the AJ and Texan...

Well, it's short scale, right? Must be a little trade-off there.

For some reason, I really like the pickguard on the older Hummingbird Artists. This isn't quite it.

Still.... [GAS welling up]

Archived