Gibson Brands Forums

Woodstock, 45 Years Ago

MrNylon

August 15th marks the 45 year anniversary of Woodstock. August 15-18, 1969. I was almost going to go to it, but didn't make it. A couple of friends did make it, and loved it. I don't think you'll ever see another one like that again. [thumbup] There really was a great "Summer of '69."

August 15th marks the 45 year anniversary of Woodstock. August 15-18, 1969. I was almost going to go to it, but didn't make it. A couple of friends did make it, and loved it. I don't think you'll ever see another one like that again. [thumbup] There really was a great "Summer of '69."

I wasn't even born in 69 but I love the vibe and the innocence of that make love not war generation. Santana kicked some serious *ss, so did Jimi. I bet your friends have some good stories. [smile]

I was roughly in the right age group but... no interest whatsoever then in the type of mass groupings at Woodstock. Nothing against the music nor even the politics, although I wasn't of that "don't give a damn" persuasion.

At the time I was mostly working a 60-hour work week, chasing women on nights off and slowly making connections for a band. There was a lotta live music of all sorts in those days where I was living.

m

bass,

Woodstock.

Man I was pumping gas that summer of '69.

For my peeps in our hometown,it was the summer of innocence and innocence lost.

We experienced our first murder that summer a high school friend we all knew.This in a town of 528 souls.Murdered senselessly by someone we all knew and trusted.

Our's was a very small town along Hwy-11 ( pre-I-75 ) in East Tennessee that summer..Half the distance between Choo-choo town (Chattanoga ) and K-town (Knoxville).

Down at the Shell fillin' station,we'd check beneath the hood, ( bonnett ) for the U.K.Bros.

Oil,water,wash the windshield,check the pressure in the tires.Full service !

Hi-test gas was .37 cent per gal.

Regular was .32 cents per.

About a week or two before the event up @ Yazger's farm, we began seeing an ever-increasing flow of auto / people traffic,painted up vans cars,motorcycles and loads of hitchhiking hippies with flowers in their hair,ruddy sandals,backpacks,suitcases,lot of folk lookin' like they could use a decent bath.

The people were flockin' outta Atlanta, all points south..

We were just kidz ourselves,smoking Marywanna for the first time that summer.Chuggin' along with Boone's farm strawberry wine.

We were listening to Rare Earth,J.Cocker,Steppenwolf,Hendrix,Country Joe,Elvis,Stones,Beatles,Creedence,Simon & Garfunkel,greatest summer of Music ever,imho.

So we'd chat-up these "older hippies", 'Where you all headin' like", "Where is THAT'?

We had invitations to crowd along too.They were real cool to say the least...

Alas we were farm kids,hay to haul,money $ to be made,swimming holes,etc.

No doubt had we kidz bolted along we would've been safe.The greatest danger to our well-bein' would have been coming back home to our folks!

But,when the Film came out later,we were there..

Ah yes the Summer of '69. The age of Aquarius.

Sublime.

X

I was on the other end of the age group in a sense...

"So we'd chat-up these "older hippies", 'Where you all headin' like", "Where is THAT'?

"We had invitations to crowd along too.They were real cool to say the least...

"Alas we were farm kids,hay to haul,money $ to be made,swimming holes,etc."

I think there's a semi-hidden point here. It tended to be kids with enough money in their family to rebel with something of a degree of comfort, although frankly many of 'em ended up dead and/or so screwed up that their relationships with their family was dead.

So... I strongly recommend a reading of actor/picker/voiceover master Peter Coyote's "Sleeping Where I Fall." Take it as you will, but it wasn't a lifestyle I'd have chosen for myself. And I was as much into Zen and variations on philosophies and history and music and "doing my own thing" as anyone. I just was the same sort of "I want to control what I do and am" as I am now.

http://www.petercoyote.com/sleeping.html

m

I was on the other end of the age group in a sense...

"So we'd chat-up these "older hippies", 'Where you all headin' like", "Where is THAT'?

"We had invitations to crowd along too.They were real cool to say the least...

"Alas we were farm kids,hay to haul,money $ to be made,swimming holes,etc."

I think there's a semi-hidden point here. It tended to be kids with enough money in their family to rebel with something of a degree of comfort, although frankly many of 'em ended up dead and/or so screwed up that their relationships with their family was dead.

So... I strongly recommend a reading of actor/picker/voiceover master Peter Coyote's "Sleeping Where I Fall." Take it as you will, but it wasn't a lifestyle I'd have chosen for myself. And I was as much into Zen and variations on philosophies and history and music and "doing my own thing" as anyone. I just was the same sort of "I want to control what I do and am" as I am now.

http://www.petercoyo...m/sleeping.html

m

No M,

We had long hair and were a bit rebellious obviously.

My Pap was 79 years of age that summer,so there was a real generation gap.

I did not eventually chose that lifestyle.

Some did,most of those childhood friends are long dead.

I volunteered for Vietnam service when I came of age.I left that small town.

As I tell folks today,'It was the kinda town we ran like hell from,but today we long to return to".

In the end conservative / capitalist motivations got the best of me.

I respect you / your perspectives sir.

Thanks Milod.

Cheers.

X

X...

Well, I just blew a batch of material on generational differences that had been pretty well documented and were pretty well proven as working for sales and marketing back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Thing is, other pre babyboomers such as myself and Peter Coyote (we knew each other in college) may have wild differences in our politics, etc., but the modes in which we come to those perspectives are very similar - and far more similar than the mode in which the younger "baby boomers" may even have adapted to his or my political views.

He's of an urban leftist culture and I'm of a rural libertarian/conservative culture. He's pretty far left and some folks would say I'm pretty far right (they tend to ignore the libertarian angle). But we share a background heavy in English lit, zen, and even basic musical "guitar thought" in a lotta ways. Bottom line is that we went different places, but essentially in the same vehicles.

Meanwhile "kids" of the baby boom generation may have the same political perspectives of the two of us, but they got there in a different sort of vehicle with different thought processes to take them there.

Dunno if that makes much sense, but... It may explain how "old folks" often get along well even with radical political differences in their senior citizen centers or whatever, but how they don't necessarily get along with folks who share their political perspectives but with entirely different thought processes.

m

The first, massive music festival of it's type, and the last decent gasp of the "flower children."

Altamont, just 4 months later, was the "end of the dream," really. Or, at least signaled it.

But, is was an Awesome summer, in so many ways. [thumbup] One I'll never forget, for sure! That dream

didn't really (totally) die (for me) until about the summer of '72! We're always a little behind either

coast! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

As I recall, it wasn't a well advertised event here in the midwest, although word obviously got around. I was clueless to what was going to happen. I do remember a couple of people asking me if I was going, but I already had plans to head the other direction to California that summer. Where I was at out there, news was kinda limited so I really didn't find out what a huge deal Woodstock turned into until I was back home.

Sorry I missed it? Probably not. Loved some of the music and even though I was roughing it on the west coast, I think the conditions were still better than at Woodstock. It was kind of a magical time everywhere if you were young. Yes, things started to change not long after for a lot of the slightly older more militant types out to change the world. Their dreams may have been dashed, but for those of us coming up right behind them, we carried on with our on dreams to change the world until we ran out of gas too.

And the music of the late 60's and early 70's was pretty fantastic too.

I knew one of the folks who demonstrated at the Democrat national convention in Chicago... a rather radical sort of young lady a cupla years younger than I.

And then another girlfriend who simply had to go to Cuba to help harvest sugarcane until enough mary jane calmed that perspective along with what appeared to be a number of concurrent boyfriends of a leftist idealism in words and childish "sex drugs and rock and roll" perspective while living on their parents' dollar.

That made me more than a little cynical. I had far more respect for my eldest (and older) cousin who already was an out-and-out Soviet-style Marxist-Leninist and lived that way while holding down a job.

Seriously, while some saw the whole gig as an explosion of idealism, my cynicism grew geometrically.

The "flower children" often learned some rather harsh lessons in life ranging from drug deaths to longterm drug-based mental illness to sexually-transmitted diseases to the "free love" girls pregnancies lived out in living conditions far more harsh and with less caring folks than families in the frontier era.

Too many folks I knew went through that, and I think some still haven't a clue of what they did to themselves as they now are passing into "elder" status with little in their minds but how they refused to be what their parents wanted.

Those of us just a few years older may have done some of the same things, and may still be considered something of a loose cannon in their own environment, simply did it I think with more premeditation rather than "it's exciting and let's go..."

As for my own life and lifestyle... yeah, a bit of a loose cannon, but I'm not dead yet...

m

I was a naive 16 in '69. Hendrix, The Guess Who, the Who, LZ, Mayall, Clapton, and Grand Funk were still new. Got the willies playing Number 9 backwards. Those innocent years very soon afterwards got pretty hard core for me through the early to mid '70s, just like the music. Wouldn't trade those years for anything. My draft number came up 293, and no one had been drafted over number 100 the year before. The next year, the draft ended. The Kennedys and MLK had been shot, civil rights legislation and forced desegregation was new and still an issue, the Chicago convention, Kent State, SDS, LSD, TM, the cold war, the atomic bomb, Easy Rider, Hell's Angels, Charles Manson, Nixon, Ali, Fonda, Hef, Elvis, George Wallace, Lester Maddox, Jimmy Hoffa, J. Edgar Hoover, the moon landing... dang those were some amazing, turbulent times in our history, and we played for keeps.

• 2 weeks later...

I was 9. That summer was awesome but it had more to do with Hot Wheels cars, living vicariously through Archie comic books and my new record player with a couple Flatt & Scruggs albums.

I remember it being mentioned in the news and I thought, wow, why didn't we go? It's only 60 or 70 miles..... (I thought it was in Woodstock, New Brunswick).

My sister had the 8 track once it came out and that was my first experience with Woodstock. I was more enthralled with the "Gimme an F" cheer than anything else.

In 1979 I bought the 8 track and it helped me get through the disco era.

In 1982 I had a one night stand with a woman 10-15 years my senior who had attended Woodstock.

In 1985 the very first thing I ever taped on VHS was the Woodstock movie when it aired on PBS during a pledge drive. It helped me survive Huey Lewis.

Archived