Gibson Brands Forums

NGD I have a sheraton addiction

burchster

Well I picked this up on ebay... the seller said he bought it new 3 years ago but I could tell it was an old one by the pickguard, it appears to be a 92 model the serial number is S92.. so that's just my guess. Unfortunately when I plug it in all I get is nothing but a scratchy sound and nothing on either pickup so its gonna need some wiring help. It also looks like its spent the last 10 to 15 years setting out, its covered in dust and dirt. Other than the dirt and the electronics it shows no wear except the gold plating. More pics after it comes back from the tech!

DSCF4731.jpg

Those are some good looking sherrys guys! I think ive cured it for now with 3 sherry 2s and 2 62/50. Until epiphone finally makes a cherry sheraton 2...that would be a must have!

Thanks yours aren't bad ether . Wow you have three of them cool . I just like the way they feel its like a lot of guitar mine all came flaw less, some day i am going to pick up a older one .

Well I picked this up on ebay... the seller said he bought it new 3 years ago but I could tell it was an old one by the pickguard, it appears to be a 92 model the serial number is S92.. so that's just my guess. Unfortunately when I plug it in all I get is nothing but a scratchy sound and nothing on either pickup so its gonna need some wiring help. It also looks like its spent the last 10 to 15 years setting out, its covered in dust and dirt. Other than the dirt and the electronics it shows no wear except the gold plating. More pics after it comes back from the tech!

DSCF4731.jpg

Congrats, nice catch, HNGD! [thumbup]

The scratchy sound thing is due to dust buildup in pots and switch I guess. Shouldn't be a big deal, but a bit trickier to cure on a guitar with F holes as the only circuit access.

Nice score! That serial number indicates it was made in the Samick Korea factory in 1992. They built very nice guitars, but the electronics are not the best quality. I have a G-400 built by Samick in 1993 that had chronic problems with scratchy volume pots. I eventually just junked the whole wiring harness and bought a better one.

Here's my '91, I've replaced all the electrics, including the pups:

IMAG0168_zpskmmvza2m.jpg

I was thinking about getting a brand new one, and noticed that every single Epiphone I looked at was made in China. Are they no longer made in Korea?

It's funny how things work - when I was buying US made guitars, I didn't want anything from Korea. Once I found out how good the Korean made guitars are, I find I'm having a hard time committing to the Chinese made units...

lets see it .

Sorry, I've never posted pics on the forum, but if you PM me your email address, I can send photos that way. There were two versions of the AIUSA-JLH Sheraton, manufactured from 2000 to 2005. One had a Frequensator, while the other had a stopbar. They both had mini-humbuckers, and came in nitro natural or vintage sunburst finish. The bodies were made by Terada in Japan, and then shipped to Gibson in Nashville for hardware and final assembly.

Mine is a 2000 in sunburst with the Frequensator.

Here's my '91, I've replaced all the electrics, including the pups:

IMAG0168_zpskmmvza2m.jpg

I was thinking about getting a brand new one, and noticed that every single Epiphone I looked at was made in China. Are they no longer made in Korea?

It's funny how things work - when I was buying US made guitars, I didn't want anything from Korea. Once I found out how good the Korean made guitars are, I find I'm having a hard time committing to the Chinese made units...

I think the current chinese ones are very well made. I have 2 both '13 models. I like the pickups and they play very good after a set up. Both also have the 5 way laminated neck.

Was it hard changing out the electronics those f holes on these 90s ones are tiny!

I was thinking about getting a brand new one, and noticed that every single Epiphone I looked at was made in China.... I find I'm having a hard time committing to the Chinese made units...

I agree with Burchster. Ever since Epiphone opened its own factory in Qingdao, the quality of the guitars it's producing has been quite good. Excellent, in my experience.

I think the current chinese ones are very well made. I have 2 both '13 models. I like the pickups and they play very good after a set up. Both also have the 5 way laminated neck.

Was it hard changing out the electronics those f holes on these 90s ones are tiny!

Yes, it was difficult, quite frankly! I started by looking for youtube videos showing how to do it. A couple recommended using aquarium air line to pull the pot shafts through the holes. That not only didn't work at all, it made it much more difficult. One thing that did work was using a long piece of hook-up wire with a washer tied to it to get the jack in.

Thoughts about the Chinese guitars are encouraging and appreciated.

I've seen where Gibson is going to increase their prices by 29% and I figure "as goes Gibson, so goes Epiphone". So I'm considering buying a new one. Now my problem is choosing between the Sheraton or a Joe Pass Emperor!

• 1 month later...

Just got the Sherry back from setup, they brought the electronics back from the dead and she sound great..here's a pic of my addiction

20141016_161740.jpg

Beautiful every single one. Very jealous.

How does the sound differ on each?

Beautiful every single one. Very jealous.

How does the sound differ on each?

Sound wise they all have there unique quirks, its amazing how the same model of guitar can be so different from the one that might have came off the line behind it.

I would have to say the 62/50s are my favorites, I love the bright mini humbucker sound, but the ones with full size humbuckers also sound great. One observation I have to make is the quality of electronics in the newer MIC ones have came a long way from the 92, though it does sound pretty good after everything was pulled out and cleaned.

Archived