Gibson Brands Forums

Jack Bruce dead at 71

Riffster

Saw this announced on the news earlier today as well. Saddened to lose another one of the greats. Albums like Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire were some of my main influences on learning how to play better, and to play longer than I had ever done before then. Those were memorable times. R.I.P Jack Bruce You earned it.

Within the sadness, there's still one point that makes me smile. I think he was the first who reversed the truss rod covers, creating a tulip out of the bell. :)

Jack_Bruce_Hollywood_Palladium_West_Bruce_and_Laing.jpg

Never would have known of such a tid-bit of rock 'n' roll trivia, cap, had I not seen your post.

One thing is for certain—he played the correct bass! [wink]

It's sad, but just like families. We have a generation coming to their end and what a family! All of the great stars are getting old and we have to get used to losing these legend. We lost the Hollywood stars and now it's the turn of the 60's revolution stars. Very sad.

It is a sad loss indeed but inevitable as we all know....

With the age of the musicians today from bands that were big in the 60's and 70's we will be seeing more passing's probably more frequent than we want to see but every one gets old differently.

Yes, that's three lost in just one week, Jack, Alvin Stardust and Raphael Ravenscroft. Fascinating to hear that Raphael only got paid £27 for his Sax work on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street!

Ian

Jack had had major health problems for many years and IMO it was a huge achievement to play the Cream reunion concerts....

The phenomenon that was Cream was a heady mix of ideas and experiences...to be able to deliver so much music in a trio format...

Very much IMO there might be a comparison with J P Jones from Led Zeppelin, sheer talent, creativity and drive moving essentially a blues band into more interesting territory... [thumbup]

Not forgetting the arguments and 'friendly' rivalry between Jack and Ginger Baker...

Echoes of the Sting/Copeland relationship...another phenomenal band undoubtedly influenced by Jack Bruce and Cream...

V

:-({|=

I'm starting to become melancholy...

This is happening more and more. The old guard is fading...

Alvin Lee, Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce, the list is growing...

Very sad news.

RIP!

I agree that is one of the reasons I have made it a mission to see as many of these stars from yesteryear live before they are gone and it is too late. I have always went to a lot of shows but the last two years have focused on ones I have not had the chance to see..it really gets you thinking when they start dropping off..sad.

I'm starting to become melancholy...

This is happening more and more. The old guard is fading...

Alvin Lee, Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce, the list is growing...

Very sad news.

RIP!

Agreed....combine that with celebrities like Joan Rivers and Robin Williams and others and it feels like the soundtrack of my life is fading away....does make one melancholy indeed....altho we don't know any of these people personally...they represent times in our lives.

Archived