Gibson Brands Forums

Who's got the oldest LP?

KSG_Standard

1974 LP Deluxe Gold Top...at least I think so...the Guitar Dater Project web site says my serial number puts it at either the Kalamazoo or Nashville plant and in 1970' date=' 1971 or 1972. I bought it new in August, 1974...so who knows?

[img']http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/mreynolds1957/IMG_0832a.jpg[/img]

IMG_0836a.jpg

IMG_0834b.jpg

Hey MReynolds

I have exactly the same scenario as you but mines cherry sunburst

Well my oldest is 2008 so I am no threat to anyone. I would absolutely LOVE a Les Paul from 1978' date=' the year I was born.[/quote']

Sure make me feel old I bought the 78's (two less pauls and a L6-s) in 78 the year I graduated from high school. I was born in 59 so I don't buy the original 59's since 400k-500k is a little steep for sentiment.

I actually owned a 1958 Les Paul when I bought it it was just a used guitar so it was my main guitar for a few years I sold it when it got to a value of about 12k-14k because everybody thought that was crazy and we were all absolutely sure it would never go up more than that hell 12k would buy a new car at that time. So live and learn and I guess I've done dumber things nobody ever said a school of hard knocks education was cheap.

This goes out to all of you! You have some very nice guitars! Doesn´t mean a thing to me whether they´re old or new. B.t.w. the one in my avatar is an 85 Custom. Surely not the oldest, but the best Les Paul I´ve ever played.

Kurt

My Les Paul Deluxe is from 1970.

GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg?t=1232055777

As it happens, I can trace ownership back to circa 1984 (the third owner prior to me).

My oldest guitar is a late '30s Regal spider bridge resonator.

Regalfront.jpg?t=1232055883

Great sound and great look.

I'll add that I equally love my '84 Dobro, '00 ES-335 and '08 SG.

My oldest LP would be my Deluxe (1976), then my Custom (1980), then my Classic (1999). My LP Junior Lites (Red & Black), are both 2001's, and my faded double cut (TV Yellow) is a 2005. I had (in my misspent youth) a '68 Black Custom, that I sold (in 1970)...along with a Red '66 ES-355 Stereo! Boy, do I wish I had not done THAT, now. ;>b But..."C'est La Vie!"

CB

Sure make me feel old I bought the 78's (two less pauls and a L6-s) in 78 the year I graduated from high school...

Well you know what they say, you're only as old as the woman you feel. I agree, an original '58 is far too expensive now but I usually buy guitars to play rather than to look at, although it would be great to own one just so I could pay off the mortgage :-k

lpdeluxe' date=' those pickups don't look right for a '70.[/quote']

Well, duh, they are Seymour Duncans.

Other than that, they are surrounded by the infamous plastic "goof-hiders" (so called by Tony Bacon) which were put on a few that had tooling marks around the pickup cavities. The pickups themselves mount inside the flat plastic rings in exactly the same manner as all minis...the exterior rings have no structural function.

Well' date=' duh, they are Seymour Duncans.

Other than that, they are surrounded by the infamous plastic "goof-hiders" (so called by Tony Bacon) which were put on a few that had tooling marks around the pickup cavities. The pickups themselves mount inside the flat plastic rings in exactly the same manner as all minis...the exterior rings have no structural function.[/quote']

The smaller rings are simply adaptors for the smaller mini-hums.

sorry i haven't been on over the past week. been playing my 1959 les paul. plays like beauty but cost quite a lot dosh (£250,00) worth every penyy of it. pics later hey.

i guess i win then?

jk/

My oldest "guitar" is a 1968 Univox copy of a Les Paul Custom. After all you fortunate people with your vintage glory got me jealous, I decided to contrast your collecters items with the worst vintage guitar ever.

It is the biggest piece of sh1t in ever. Don't believe me? Look at the pros and cons.

Cons:

-It's made of fake wood that just dents in whenever anything touches it.

-The pickups don't work after you switch positions and you have to flick them hard with your finger to make them work.

-It sounds like an impression of an electric guitar done by the worlds first robot.

-The G, B, and E don't stay in tune for more than 1 note, not that you could produce a note on them anyways.

-It weighs a lot for a whole lot of nothing.

-The only thing you can do fast is run to the amp when the feedback makes all your orifices bleed.

Pros:

-Looks like a LP custom from across a dimly lit room.

-It fills an empty spot on my guitar wall, albeit somewhat poorly.

-Someone gave it to me. (I thought it was rude to refuse he thought he was giving me a diamond in the rough.)

I'll get a picture in ten minutes or so, I'm just playing a real guitar right now.

My oldest "guitar" is a 1968 Univox copy of a Les Paul Custom. After all you fortunate people with your vintage glory got me jealous' date=' I decided to contrast your collecters items with the worst vintage guitar ever.

It is the biggest piece of sh1t in ever. Don't believe me? Look at the pros and cons.

Cons:

-It's made of fake wood that just dents in whenever anything touches it.

-The pickups don't work after you switch positions and you have to flick them hard with your finger to make them work.

-It sounds like an impression of an electric guitar done by the worlds first robot.

-The G, B, and E don't stay in tune for more than 1 note, not that you could produce a note on them anyways.

-It weighs a lot for a whole lot of nothing.

-The only thing you can do fast is run to the amp when the feedback makes all your orifices bleed.

Pros:

-Looks like a LP custom from across a dimly lit room.

-It fills an empty spot on my guitar wall, albeit somewhat poorly.

-Someone gave it to me. (I thought it was rude to refuse he thought he was giving me a diamond in the rough.)

I'll get a picture in ten minutes or so, I'm just playing a real guitar right now.

[/quote']

On the American Folk Blues Festival Vol 1 DVD, there's a performance by Earl Hooker playing a Univox like yours that has flower stickers all over it...and he plays the snot out of it.

Well' date=' duh, they are Seymour Duncans.

Other than that, they are surrounded by the infamous plastic "goof-hiders" (so called by Tony Bacon) which were put on a few that had tooling marks around the pickup cavities. The pickups themselves mount inside the flat plastic rings in exactly the same manner as all minis...the exterior rings have no structural function.[/quote']

Sorry...didn't realize that. They looked like some minis that Gibson put our for like one year that had "Gibson" stamped on the face of the metal cover. I've never seen the "goof-hiders" on any Deluxes so that's a first for me. Nice looking Deluxe in any event.

Archived