Gibson Brands Forums

Upper fret access on the Les Paul

dynasty32

I own a strat, and never owned a Les Paul. But when I tried it out in the stores, playing the upper frets is kinda awkward, especially when trying to bend those notes. It gets worse if I stand up and play the upper frets.

If I get a Les Paul, would I get used to this? I have no problems on the Strat. When I tried the SG, Ididn't have this problem either.

But I want to get a Les Paul, since it's so iconic and many of my favorite players played it. The SG doesn't look as cool and the double cut les paul looks weird IMO.

I have smallish hands, maybe that's the reason?

i noticed the same thing with my first LP. It 's something that you will get used to and eventually never even notice. It is possible to get to the higher frets and many guitar players do it just takes some getting used to especially after playing a double cut away guitar like your Fender for some time. Plus depending on if your strat is Amercian or Mexican the Lp should have more frets lol. If it is mexican it should have 21 frets i think and ur Lp should have 22

You'll learn to tuck your thumb up beside your forefinger. It will become such second nature and you won't even know when your doing it, I had to go pick up a guitar to see what I did.

This is the way guitar players have reached to upper frets on thick bodied instruments (acoustics, archtops, classicals, etc) since the invention of the guitar.

I have a LP Double Cut.. mostly for my own personal opinion/liking, but the higher fret access is just great. All that bullsh1t whatshisface was saying about how you don't "need" the higher frets is high. Maybe he just doesn't know how to solo...

That's 1 reason I don't gig a Lester, although I did for many years. My #1 is now an ES-339, and its backup is an SG.

I'm a bar gigger, lead player, and I need to go up "there" quite often.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I own a strat' date=' and never owned a Les Paul. But when I tried it out in the stores, playing the upper frets is kinda awkward, especially when trying to bend those notes. It gets worse if I stand up and play the upper frets.

If I get a Les Paul, would I get used to this? I have no problems on the Strat. When I tried the SG, Ididn't have this problem either.

But I want to get a Les Paul, since it's so iconic and many of my favorite players played it. The SG doesn't look as cool and the double cut les paul looks weird IMO.

I have smallish hands, maybe that's the reason?[/quote']

Years ago I started to make the transition to playing LPs & (at the time) new Joe Perry Boneyard Epiphone. I had played Jacksons, Strats, & Ibanez RGs for >15 years, the IBZ/Jacksons w/24 frets too. It took some getting used to, but its "all access" now. When you get the LP - adjust your strap height to be higher than normal & where you can reach as far as you know you'll play. Play standing up WAY more often & every week, move it down just a little bit. Then, you'll eventually have it in the power position as I call it AND you can reach what you need.

As for the OP about not going to the upper register frets - tell that to Uli John Roth & M.Schenker - they'll kick your a**!! =P~

Archived