Gibson Brands Forums

Grammy observations

rct

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I will usually give any artist some kind of credit for talent, even if I personally don't care for their music, I bet all of us can agree that Kanye West is a no-talent tool who should really be taught the proper way to behave at these events.

Well I can hear it plain as day to me and I agree there are songs that small parts remind me of other songs. Maybe he just had had enough but I guess the person's opinion that really mattered was the judge. and as I stated before you have so many low talent musicians now days that can not do the work on their own so you are gonna see more and more of this. it is just like movies now that they have so much more special effect capabilities the acting and storytelling abilities continues to decrease. thus less and less really great movies.

There was no judge. Petty had his office people call Sam Smith's people and pressured him into paying up. Smith knew better then to piss off the old big shots so he agreed to give Petty a cut of all money from the song. This is far from justice being served. It's the good ol boy system. Petty found a young kid who is on the rise with a hit song that happens to have three chords that descend in a similar interval to one Petty wrote that no one has heard in 20 years that was written 3 years before Sam was born. Now he'll get a nice fat check from a upstart kid for the rest of his life. [thumbup]

There was no judge. Petty had his office people call Sam Smith's people and pressured him into paying up. Smith knew better then to piss off the old big shots so he agreed to give Petty a cut of all money from the song. This is far from justice being served. It's the good ol boy system. Petty found a young kid who is on the rise with a hit song that happens to have three chords that descend in a similar interval to one Petty wrote that no one has heard in 20 years that was written 3 years before Sam was born. Now he'll get a nice fat check from a upstart kid for the rest of his life. [thumbup]

Yeah, but they are pros on both sides. The publishing house for Petty was able to put together two measures(I think the requirement still) that if played outside the context of the song it is in would be exactly alike in melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic structure. If they were able to do that, the guys on the other team were professional enough to realize that no matter what went on when them three guys wrote that song, no matter who couldn't prove what, because of the way copyright works they would not prevail and Petty would.

So yeah, it's the good ol boy system at work. But Petty himself would tell you he has no need of any money from Smith. It's the publishing guys and attorneys for both teams that will benefit most.

It's how it works, like every other aspect of our "justice" system. There is "justice" for the rich, and nothing for the rest of us. I'm not lecturing, just venting.

rct

I apologize for not reading the article I just saw the headline on the Sam Smith and Petty settlement they did agree out of court and from what I have read Smith's camp did not even attempt to fight it that tells you something. I am not saying it was intentional but it obviously is way too similiar. see below

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/sam-smith-will-have-to-pay-tom-petty-royalties.html

Here's some interesting food for thought.

http://www.mic.com/articles/110236/the-grammys-just-proved-that-one-man-was-behind-all-the-biggest-pop-music-in-2014

The Producer of the Year award didn't get any air time during the Grammys' televised broadcast, but it was arguably the most important of the night. On Sunday, it was the award that said the most about the state of pop. It revealed that one man is behind our music's dominant sound: Swedish pop savant Max Martin.

Martin has been one of the most secretive but influential contributors to pop music in the past two decades. One glance down the long list of hits he produced and co-wrote last year shows just how important he was in crafting 2014's pop — and why his genius is leading our popular music towards a homogenized sound. Here are a few of his year-defining hits:

"Bang Bang" by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj

"Break Free" by Ariana Grande featuring Zedd

"Dark Horse" by Katy Perry featuring Juicy J

"Problem" by Ariana Grande featuring Iggy Azalea

"Shake It Off " by Taylor Swift

"Blank Space" by Taylor Swift

And these were just the ones that made that top 10. Martin produced and co-wrote seven of the 13 tracks on Taylor Swift's 1989, 10 of the 13 tracks on Katy Perry's Prism and all of the biggest hits off Ariana Grande's My Everything (including "Problem" and "Love Me Harder"). He co-wrote Jennifer Lopez's comeback earworm "First Love," Shakira's World Cup anthem "Dare (La La La)" and Pitbull's "Wild Wild Love," the lead single off his Globalization album

I'm with Jax...

Ain't watched an awards show at all that I can recall. Ever.

I did see on the news how the one guy went on stage to hassle an award winner - and that seems incredibly strange and discourteous to the entire system - whether he likes that system or not.

m

AC/DC was meh. I'm usually pretty forgiving about such things, but I think it is time to hang up the boy shorts.

rct

Well The band has a legion of fans that don't think it's meh, so meh to you [biggrin] . So Brian struggles a bit(got to love him anyway), but the band sounds good. The Sound and playing by Angus in both songs are great. Kick *** sound.

BTW it's there first appearance in 4 years, and quit bald to start up at the grammy for the first time and with two new members of the band

Here's a vid with decent sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1tIK1jj2hE

Brian just sounded like Brian to me [biggrin][thumbup] Angus is 60 this year I think. My childhood heros are growing old. That was Chris Slade yes?

First time I've heard that young guy's song but it is Don't Back Down - someone should have caught that before it was released, I mean DBD must be played on classic rock radio how many times a week? Doubt the kid even knew but now he'll be put under the microscope for future releases. Doubt Petty would be unduly concerned - it's a fairly derivative/generic sounding song in its original guise - the publishing houses 'hard at work' I'd think too.

I thought AC/DC were magnificent.

It's not often that Pharrell Williams, Jay Z, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry and co are up in from of such a great rock band. Even Jamie Foxx and Herbie Hanclock couldn't resist the groove. Great rock performance from a truly epic live act who show no signs of old age. Angus's playing and tone is to die for and Lady Gaga nearly wet her pants and collapsed on top of Tony Bennett when he broke into his duck walk and solo.

Awesome!!!!!!! [thumbup]

This is food for thought from a guy that lives in the town you live in? Really? Remember when you couldn't plug a recorder in without Mutt in the room? The two Swedes or Danes or whatever they were late 80's early 90s that were on everything? When Steve Earle refused to record with the ProducerOftheMonth he called him? And countless other "producer"s du jour of the day? C'mon man, you can't possibly think this is news. All the genres have that, all the for-profit music making companies do this, they have for a long time.

rct

Here's some interesting food for thought.

http://www.mic.com/a...p-music-in-2014

"...... it was the award that said the most about the state of pop. It revealed that one man is behind our music's dominant sound: Swedish pop savant Max Martin."

What's this "our music" kimosabe? Not mine.

At least we now have a name when we come with pitchforks.

Archived