Gibson Brands Forums

Van Halens Total Embarrassment...

Searcy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little gasoline to wash yer eyes out with, injured drummer and all, a kickinass band with a great guitar player absolutely on top doing one of a bunch of great songs with Sammy.

rct

It was last night. To celebrate the new album and tour.

He's getting worse, Dave is.

I remember watching some YOUTUBE a couple years back and seeing them...poor live shows. I think beginning or middle of first tour maybe.

While many vids show them performing badly, THIS one is one of the worst. The vids I saw were bootlegs, while THIS one they know they are performing for TV.

Now I'm just really curious. Seriously, is there a reason for it?

Maybe Dave is going deaf, or perhaps he had a stroke?

He's getting worse, Dave is.

I remember watching some YOUTUBE a couple years back and seeing them...poor live shows. I think beginning or middle of first tour maybe.

While many vids show them performing badly, THIS one is one of the worst. The vids I saw were bootlegs, while THIS one they know they are performing for TV.

Now I'm just really curious. Seriously, is there a reason for it?

Maybe Dave is going deaf, or perhaps he had a stroke?

He was never a "singer", he was a guy in front of the band, his parents were wealthy and he provided the other three a PA and a place to rehearse. It really is an old, not unfamiliar story.

rct

He was never a "singer", he was a guy in front of the band, his parents were wealthy and he provided the other three a PA and a place to rehearse. It really is an old, not unfamiliar story.

rct

True story.

The "classic" Van Halen live shows were never all that great, at least, from a musical perspective.

The fun in the live VH was more based on additude, showmanship. A party with a good backing band. Dave's singing, live, was never that good. But really, a LOT of live arena bands during that time didn't play that well either.

Guess what I mean to say, Dave was never what one would call a good singer, or a musician type. It was never his skill in that area that made things happen. But, he was a performer, a "clown", an entertainer, a face-man.

An IMAGE, right?

Even if you don't care to be a "musician", at some point, don't you take an interest in your own abilities enough to want to do something about it? When it's THIS BAD?!?

I agree. I've only seen them twice, the 1984 show and then much later with Gary, I was acquainted with him and it was good to see him. Both times the only thing I really cared about was the unbridled joy that Edward played with. That's what I like about that Toronto video I posted, you can see him get done his self soundcheck on the way out front and BAM! switches it on. To me that has always been the best part, it's going, we're on, it doesn't sound too awful and neither do I, LET'S GO!

rct

So easy for some to criticize, especially those that don't have any musical pedigree of their own to hang a hat on...lol

Van Halen is a party band plain and simple.... But those of you that are actually a vocalist and do serious studio work, maybe listen to songs like Jamies Crying, Push Comes to Shove and Women in Love and actually listen to DLR's studio performance.... His phrasing and ability to sing on pitch is pretty remarkable.

So easy for some to criticize, especially those that don't have any musical pedigree of their own to hang a hat on...lol

Van Halen is a party band plain and simple.... But those of you that are actually a vocalist and do serious studio work, maybe listen to songs like Jamies Crying, Push Comes to Shove and Women in Love and actually listen to DLR's studio performance.... His phrasing and ability to sing on pitch is pretty remarkable.

I agree.

But in the studio, as lots of folks know and have had to sit through, you can get as many tries as it takes. So sure, some good performances I agree, but more to it than just going in and lettin 'er rip like us guitar players are expected to do.

On the other hand, 99.97% of the people that buy yer records don't have "...any musical pedigree of their own to hang a hat on...", and their criticism can make you or break you, it's best to leave that sort of...elitism for lack of a better word, at home. Doesn't matter how much they know about music if they don't show up at the record store to buy it and the arena to see you.

rct

So easy for some to criticize .....

We're looking at a live performance - - - but still - - - this one's not even close.

I'll give this much - perhaps the boink on the nose caused some kind of problem for him.

<edit> Turns out it was due to the nose injury. Dave bandages up goes on banged up like a trooper. Gotta give him props on that.

Oh, dude. I am NO vocalist. I don't know what it is to sing well. But I do know what it is to NOT sing well, and have to work real hard to make acceptable backing vocals.

No jealousy here, or even thinking I could ever fill Dave's vocal shoes on MY ability.

No sir, the reason it's EASY to criticize is because of his performance.

I'm with you on the fact, he HAS done some good vocal work, he has put down some great stuff on record, worthy of praise I would say.

The point you make supports what I am confused about. To spite the fact he hasn't ever seemed (to me) to care about the "musical" quality of his work, or aspired for musicianship, being a "party band" doesn't require that.....SO...

What I think, he IS a performer, experienced. Where is the disconnect here? What he seems to know, what he SHOULD know, and these recent performances, there's a big gap, is there not?

Oh, dude. I am NO vocalist. I don't know what it is to sing well. But I do know what it is to NOT sing well, and have to work real hard to make acceptable backing vocals.

No jealousy here, or even thinking I could ever fill Dave's vocal shoes on MY ability.

No sir, the reason it's EASY to criticize is because of his performance.

I'm with you on the fact, he HAS done some good vocal work, he has put down some great stuff on record, worthy of praise I would say.

The point you make supports what I am confused about. To spite the fact he hasn't ever seemed (to me) to care about the "musical" quality of his work, or aspired for musicianship, being a "party band" doesn't require that.....SO...

What I think, he IS a performer, experienced. Where is the disconnect here? What he seems to know, what he SHOULD know, and these recent performances, there's a big gap, is there not?

Not really to me.... Van Halen will always be Van Halen.... DLR will always be DLR.... Really nothing has changed.... Cant expect VH to replicate their albums live, and even when they were in their prime they never really did.... Even the Beatles didn't come close to replicating there albums, even the poppy songs. And you really cant judge a live performance based on a youtube video, esepecially band like VH.... To get the full effect you go see them live

We're looking at a live performance - - - but still - - - this one's not even close.

Good lord no!!!!!

I've seen enough live shows,,..

most recent was Joe Bonamassa at the Boston Wang Center. That dude (and his excellent band) KILLED it, all... night... long...

I like Eddie, I always have, I always will, he is great,, and I like that he "looks" healthy.

I cannot f------ stand that j---a$$ Roth.. I've never liked the guy,,

After watching this live clip.. he's holding them back from what could be a decent revival. (people will go to see Van Halen -- not my cup of tea these days, but there will always be EVH fans)

With all the great singers out there.. guys,, find someone else..... can't be THAT hard to find a better Front man than that loser.

and just as another example of what good bands do live,

even after 40 years.. go see Rush.. weather you love em or hate em, they put it on.. every time.

A little gasoline to wash yer eyes out with, injured drummer and all, a kickinass band with a great guitar player absolutely on top doing one of a bunch of great songs with Sammy.

rct

rct,

I have three words for you...

Very, very, nice.

Three more.

Many, many thanks,

MississippiBlue

Not really to me.... Van Halen will always be Van Halen.... DLR will always be DLR.... Really nothing has changed.... Cant expect VH to replicate their albums live, and even when they were in their prime they never really did.... Even the Beatles didn't come close to replicating there albums, even the poppy songs. And you really cant judge a live performance based on a youtube video, esepecially band like VH.... To get the full effect you go see them live

You know I have a good respect for you, as a musician. And your opinions based on that.

Did you watch the video Searcy posted? It's a good question.

Yeah Duane, good call.

First saw the band in 1978 at Anaheim Stadium. They were fantastic—cause it was a great party. I mean Sammy Hagar, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and Boston.

I think I've seen them several times over the years and loved every show. David Lee Roth's vocals were spot on every show, his stage presence dynamic.

Critics should take it easy on them, after all it's been how many years? Come on, you guys get out there and do that night after night and we'll see how you do.

You know I have a good respect for you, as a musician. And your opinions based on that.

Did you watch the video Searcy posted? It's a good question.

It's your typical VH show, just they're old vatos now... If recording quality is what one seeks from a live show, there's the ever boring Allen Parsons Project or the boring Eagles.... Talk about a snooze fest of a concert...lol.... But they sure sound like the album....

I watched it and yeah it was a bit sad.

Having said that - it's not impossible that DLR wasn't hearing himself, and anyone who has done live vocals with a loud band will know what that is like - I thought I saw him put his finger to his ear at one stage which no singer of his stature would really want to do as it looks amateurish. I guess my point is that IF he couldn't hear himself then within the first 30 seconds he would adjust for the song and pump up the 'show' side and downplay the vocal side of things.

That actually could have happened fairly easily - only takes one bad connection/transmission (and if not, its going to be a long tour).

PS: One of the bands I play in has a DLR all of its own - couldn't sing in the shower, but a great frontman who ensures the crowd has a ball and the night is fun. [biggrin]

I saw them on 5150 cause a friend talked me into it. I don't think I can count as high as to guess the amount of bandannas Sammy Hagar was wearing. I don't listen to any of their stuff after Fair Warning. Why did they need to cover not one but three songs on Diver Down. I hate when established groups do covers on studio albums. Lame! Write you own F-ing songs.1984 is thought of as this classic album and it blows chunks. VHII is the pimp. The Van Hagar days they did nothing but chick ballads.

Fair Warning was their crown jewel in my opinion [thumbup] [thumbup]

No, I couldn't pay to watch that. I'm a big VH fan since day one. Was happy when Sammy took Dave's spot as I was a fan of Montrose and the Red Rocker since the early days too. To me, Sammy was the perfect voice for where VH was going.

I would be willing to bet that the tour doesn't make it past about a dozen performances.

Finally, I don't think that gash on Dave's nose was any accident. I think the Microphone was pissed off and trying to take him out!

Look at how long Neil Schon & Journey has tried to find a Steve Perry replacement. The guys that they've found can sing the words, but not the song. DLR forgot the songs when he started reading his own reviews. And how long has it been since DLR was out doing anything? Shoulda practiced.

TC

I've always thought Sammy was a far better singer than DLR, but try making that argument to non-musicians! Its good to see so many who agree with me here. Sammy is still doing a pretty good job singing rock music for a guy who's 67 years old. This was filmed 5 days after his 67th birthday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78StW22oP8Y

Archived