Gibson Brands Forums

B.B. King in hospital

kidblast

or whatever the BB may himself wish...

... I think that's the perspective I've absorbed with a bit of aging on my own carcass.

My prayers for his comfort and his own idea of best scene...

m

I hope he goes to the same place I'm going.

But, I would MUCH rather he don't beat me there by too much.

To me, the world with BB in it is better than one without.

Also, would really like to see him play again. It's ALWAYS a treat.

I hope the living legend pulls through. I have only seen him on television. I remember when he was younger he had this cool vibrato. If he pulls through I will try to make an effort to see him play. If he retires I feel he well deserves it. I have a feeling he is going to play to the very end just like Les Paul.

I hope the living legend pulls through. I have only seen him on television. I remember when he was younger he had this cool vibrato. If he pulls through I will try to make an effort to see him play. If he retires I feel he well deserves it. I have a feeling he is going to play to the very end just like Les Paul.

Not to rain on your parade or burst your balloon, but today's BB isn't the BB of old. He sits on a chair, knocks out a few licks here and there, and that's it. My best to him, but it's time to let things go and rest on your laurels. I'd rather watch a 30 year old video of the BB that was, than see him live today. Just my opinion.

Not to rain on your parade or burst your balloon, but today's BB isn't the BB of old. He sits on a chair, knocks out a few licks here and there, and that's it. My best to him, but it's time to let things go and rest on your laurels. I'd rather watch a 30 year old video of the BB that was, than see him live today. Just my opinion.

I think he's well earned the right to sit on a chair, knock out a few licks, and sing a few lines. He was doing that when I saw him back in 2006 when he was just a young pup of "80" [thumbup]

Most of us on this board won't live as long as he has, and if we do I'm guessing the bulk of us will be wearing Depends, drooling on ourselves, and sleeping on our meds in a wheel chair in the hallway of some rundown nursing home and NOT out gigging like BB is. [biggrin]

I think he's well earned the right to sit on a chair, knock out a few licks, and sing a few lines. He was doing that when I saw him back in 2006 when he was just a young pup of "80" [thumbup]

Most of us on this board won't live as long as he has, and if we do I'm guessing the bulk of us will be wearing Depends, drooling on ourselves, and sleeping on our meds in a wheel chair in the hallway of some rundown nursing home and NOT out gigging like BB is. [biggrin]

Agree on some points, but, I think at his age there are only two reasons that one keeps going:

One, you have to (you need the money)

Two, you have to (you need the acknowledement)

I'd like to think that BB is in the second category.

As for how we'll all age, well, I'm guessing I've taken better care of myself than he has and/or I have a better gene pool. I don't have diabetes to deal with either. That said, I'm in my late 60's, take virtually no meds for anything, blood pressure is pretty normal, work out 2-3 times a week, and have a single digit body fat. I think I'm okay for now, so I'll worry about the Depends at a time I may "depend" on them, LOL.

Get well soon, BB.

I agree. Last time I saw Mr. Betts it was pretty sad. I prefer to think of him at his best, not hangin in there going through the motions for the money or the attention. I'm all for early retirement for everyone, Mr. King no exception. He was hell when he was well, not so much for a long time now. I hope he gets well and lives long time doing nothing, he has certainly earned it.

rct

You got that right.

Also, when it comes to being a genuine entertainer, anyone interested in becoming one would do well to see him, at any age and condition.

But if not, then there is the thing about seeing the actual GUY that invented what we are all doing. There's that.

Something for the whole family.

oh grasshoper who has much to learn................

BB King needs acknowledgement?

Some pretty big ego's are pretty fragile. I have no inside info, I'm just saying...if he doesn't need the money, then his ego still needs the, shall I say, recognition, vs. acknowledgment? Otherwise, why bother? Way too many people, actors, musicians, athletes, et al, IMHO, stay way past their "use by" date.

Some pretty big ego's are pretty fragile. I have no inside info, I'm just saying...if he doesn't need the money, then his ego still needs the, shall I say, recognition, vs. acknowledgment? Otherwise, why bother? Way too many people, actors, musicians, athletes, et al, IMHO, stay way past their "use by" date.

Every time I have seen him, I come away with the feeling he really likes to play. He actually LIKES to play for people. You can feel that.

He will play until people don't want to see him anymore. And the man can work a club or a bar just as he can an arena. He knows his craft.

Some people refuse to sit around and feel useless, they just feel the need to to what they have done their entire lives. Maybe they can't bring it 100% like they did 30 or 40 years ago but as long they enjoy it let them do it. In my experience when elder people stop doing what they like and love they get depressed. Next stop: the grave! If you don't enjoy seeing a living legend perform in front of you don't go to the show.

Hope he gets back to normal ASAP.

...why bother?...

Because it's the thing which he loves to do above all else in the world?

Should people give-up once they are well-past their prime? Tricky question to answer...

A friend of mine saw Frank Sinatra perform not long before he (Mr. Sinatra) died. His performance was, by all accounts, pretty mediocre. But at least my friend got to see him perform.

Was seeing this truly legendary singer perform at a level well-below par better than NOT having seen him perform at all?

:-k

P.

Completely agree!

One might say, it's time to retire, but with all His accomplishments He deserves to spend His elder days the way He wants, more than anybody.

Get well, Mr. King!

Best wishes... Bence

"Most of us on this board won't live as long as he has, and if we do I'm guessing the bulk of us will be wearing Depends, drooling on ourselves, and sleeping on our meds in a wheel chair in the hallway of some rundown nursing home and NOT out gigging like BB is."

Was feeling quite happy until this ray of sunshine came through... [bored]

lol

Some people refuse to sit around and feel useless, they just feel the need to to what they have done their entire lives. Maybe they can't bring it 100% like they did 30 or 40 years ago but as long they enjoy it let them do it. In my experience when elder people stop doing what they like and love they get depressed. Next stop: the grave! If you don't enjoy seeing a living legend perform in front of you don't go to the show.

Don't disagree at all and more power to him. My only point in my original post was if you're expecting to see the BB of 30 years ago, well, you're in for a let down. If you're expecting to see a near 90 year old "shell" of his former performing self, then you'll be fine. Again, IMHO!

Archived