Gibson Brands Forums

RINGO

cookieman15061

Good post, Cookie! It's easy to forget how crucial those drum bits are until you really listen to them and try to imagine the song without them. [thumbup]

This gem was in the sidebar.. These drum parts still sound amazing today - especially with some good headphones on..

Both posts by Cookie and Surf are great! Ringo really has been an under rated drummer for decades.

Just as entertaining were some of the "trailing" videos from various late night talk shows with various Beatles.

To listen to The Beatles Decca demos from 1962 with Pete Best on drums tells you how incredible Ringo's contributions were to that band.

I remember Mark Lewisohn who has written several definitive books on The Beatles talking about listening to every last bit of Beatles that was at that time housed in the EMI vaults. Outtakes, false starts, finished masters, all of it. He wrote that in all that time he only ever heard one single instance of a retake caused by a Ringo dropped beat. The guy is a human metronome.

Listen to any of those bootlegs from the Beatlemania era. He couldn't hear note one from the band, no monitors in those days, and yet starts and ends every song at the same tempo he starts with. He never speeds up, he never slows down. The guy is as steady as a rock.

In a post Keith Moon/Mitch Michell/John Bonham world it becomes ever harder to appreciate the incredibly subtle fills and beats Ringo provides throughout the Beatles catalogue. Just check his inventive use of Bossa Nova beats in the midst of a Chuck Berry shuffle.

The guy is simply awesome.

The guy is simply awesome.

I'm not sure what book I read it in, but in the early days, when Ringo was still with Rory Storm, Harrison's comment to Macca and Lennon was that the "only guy in that band worth a damn is the drummer" (paraphrasing). Talk about an understatement!

Good post, Cookie! It's easy to forget how crucial those drum bits are until you really listen to them and try to imagine the song without them. [thumbup]

This gem was in the sidebar.. These drum parts still sound amazing today - especially with some good headphones on..

I see they included the busy drumming Ringo used in Rain. He really did fantastic style on that song.

What I most like about him is how different he played in every song. He wasn't just a time piece.

A great demonstration of his brilliance is to found in "Helter Skelter". In the lte 80's , U2, arguably the biggest band of the day, attempted to cover it live, threw everything at it, and were LAME. No power at all. And the reason is Ringo's beautifly held back beat carrying Paul's fantastic bass timings. It sounds simple but carries enormous stress. Fantastic.

Great Posts.... [thumbup]

Timely(pun intended) to remember the pivotal role a tasteful drummer has in creating memorable, lasting music

IMO, like for many great musicians, time spent playing covers/dance music/MOR stuff like Ringo did, hones one's craft and broadens the pallet to draw upon.... [thumbup]

And...like the Jimi/Mitch collaborations...creating music as a team can strengthen the impact and cohesive effect, which is what the Beatles did better than anyone else....

George Martin's critique also played a role in all aspects

V

:-({|=

Lots is said about Ringo. Good and bad. There is that much publicized tiff between McCartney and Ringo when during recording of Let it be, Paul wanted to take the sticks for one song. Ringo stormed out. Hard for me to believe that the leaders ( and the greatest song writers that ever lived) would put up with Sub par drumming through out the life of the Beatles. Especially Lennon. I think anyone who wasnt a stud drummer would of been let go immediately.

Although, what I know about theory and percussion you can fit on the head of a needle I think that says it all right there.

Ringo is Godlike to me. He is like one of the apostles to Christ.- Saint Paul to Lennon/McCartney. Ok I know thats a little overblown, but you get my point. [biggrin]

I see they included the busy drumming Ringo used in Rain. He really did fantastic style on that song.

What I most like about him is how different he played in every song. He wasn't just a time piece.

If you watched the trailing video's, in one of the Conan O'Brian takes Ringo says he considers "Rain" to be his greatest Beatles song. Hard to disagree with "the Man", and as he himself says, he always played for the song and what it felt like would sound good. Hmmm, I think there was a guitar player in that group who shared the same sentiments, no?

Go Ringo!

I never understood why people try to cover them. You are never going to better it or get close.

Totally agree. Untouchable stuff. I was watching some old live stuff on youtube and it occured to me just how huge it would have been at the time. There were great amps, great guitars and equipment, just no decent live recording facilities. Probably like seeing Foo Fighters or something nowadays , only the recordings don't convey that. Sounds tuff , too. Stuff like ticket to ride always blows me away. I mean, even " Mr Postman" has a harder edge than one would think given the lyric. Will always be my favourite band, bar none.

Phenomenal drummer.

I would agree, but I would also say that a lot of his talent lie in his ability to "feel" a song, and what it would take, with minimal "bits" added in, if you will. Kind of the "less is more" school of thought. That and the fact that he is basically a human metronome, who's nickname was "One Take Richie".

I think the video Cookie posted says a lot from people who really know.

I would agree, but I would also say that a lot of his talent lie in his ability to "feel" a song, and what it would take, with minimal "bits" added in, if you will. Kind of the "less is more" school of thought. That and the fact that he is basically a human metronome, who's nickname was "One Take Richie".

I think the video Cookie posted says a lot from people who really know.

Exactly what I meant, couldn't have said it better [thumbup]

Ringo ain't Palmer,Pert, Brewer, Rich or anyone else that I personally think is a technically great drummer. He is in a different space. Phenomenal.

I either saw an interview on TV or I read it...Anyway it is what I consider to be a very funny John Lennon.

John was asked what he thought about the press and all the Beatle fans saying that Ringo was the best drummer in the world.

John answered with "he is not even the best drummer in the Beatles."

Archived