Gibson Brands Forums

Good news /bad news.

MorrisrownSal

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sal, Great News. You brought a back-up and it worked fine. That's a positive, not a negative. Bring the Martin back and see if you can figure out which piece of the system wasn't behaving. But mostly, remember that the first performance, speech, etc. is always the hardest. The second one is twice as easy. And the third is a breeze. So - just make sure you go back there full of piss and vinegar - which is what they'll expect in Brooklyn! CONGRATS !! Jim

Nice re-cap. Glad yo hear the shakedown cruise went pretty well. Bummer that the D-35 (Pure Mini?) didn't perform. Were you going straight into the Bose? Or thru a direct box/preamp first? 40 songs? Wow! Tip-o-the-hat to you. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Probably a blessing in disguise that the audience was sparse. You got to acclimate with the pressure lessened and got a chance to play some tunes you enjoy doing. Getting asked back makes everything else negligible. Sorry to hear of the pickup woe. As Larry (MP), Murphy's Law. Even the best laid plans...

It's funny. I'm a terrible musician, but I've never had an issue with between-song banter. I'm shy in large groups (classrooms, large dinner parties) but I'm fearless on a stage. Probably because I know it's my stage and I'm there to entertain. If you have a decent sense of humor about the absurdity of situations, you can usually milk whatever's going wrong for laughs. People appreciate the openness and being let into the process. They're not there to see a super-polished live act. They like when you communicate with them. Talk to them like you would a good friend.

It gets easier with time. But you're already doing the hard stuff and that's playing the songs. And if that's fun, then you've made it!

Congrats! I'm curious where you're playing in NJ. PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it in public here

Sounds GREAT to me! And yeah, 40 songs in a week, jeez.

Both the videos seriously sounded fantastic. Your friend's Martin definitely takes over the sonic space, but I could certainly hear your harmonies, and that sounded wonderful. In the second video of course you're much easier to hear, and it sounds really good. The Mini sounds good, really!

I would have just stuck a mic in front of my guitar, but that's what I always do anyway. :)

Hey-

Congrats on getting out there. Yeah, the little LG woulda been a great backup too. Looks like some kind of soundhole p/u in the Taylor? Could that have just been swapped in to the Martin? A nice Dean Markley soundhole pu could be carried in the just-in-case bag for about $50.

Y'all showed that Second That Emotion makes a great acoustic cover; strumming style of Tangled Up in Blue, & all... you were having fun with it, and it showed. And Mike's got some tasty fills in there, too.

Probably a blessing in disguise that the audience was sparse. You got to acclimate with the pressure lessened and got a chance to play some tunes you enjoy doing. Getting asked back makes everything else negligible. Sorry to hear of the pickup woe. As Larry (MP), Murphy's Law. Even the best laid plans...

Agree. Having just a few in the crowd means you can use it as a comfortable 'trial run' without too much pressure. Gives you a chance to see what works and what didnt, songs and equipment in that matter and make the necessary tweaks for the next gig.

Thought you were a brave man to bring out the Martin. I wouldn't, they are too unpredictable and hard to get a good live tone, often can come across as muddy and overly bass heavy, not to mention feedback danger from the bass frequency. Mohogany or maple Gibbys are so much more plugged in friendly thought their balanced tone.

Let us know how the next one goes !

The good news is I am getting this TC Helicon Play Acoustic figured out today. I created one setting, which makes my LG2 AE sound awesome - I think this will be my gigging guitar. The setting also has a simple high harmony added....

So pretty much for the whole gig this thing should act like a nice preamp.... and when I Hit, I'll get a harmony. Kewl.

Thanks all.

Agree. Having just a few in the crowd means you can use it as a comfortable 'trial run' without too much pressure. Gives you a chance to see what works and what didnt, songs and equipment in that matter and make the necessary tweaks for the next gig.

Thought you were a brave man to bring out the Martin. I wouldn't, they are too unpredictable and hard to get a good live tone, often can come across as muddy and overly bass heavy, not to mention feedback danger from the bass frequency. Mohogany or maple Gibbys are so much more plugged in friendly thought their balanced tone.

Let us know how the next one goes !

EA, I am just following you around disagreeing with you today! :P

When it comes to USTs and SBTs, they only "hear" the top ("hear" in quotes for good reason), not the back and sides, so I'm not sure a K&K SBT in a D-35 should theoretically "sound" any different than in a Gibson. Seems to me the soundboard is what the main factor is. It's not going to "hear" (okay the quotes are getting annoying now) the sound of the top bouncing off the rosewood because it only hears the top in the first place.

Long way of saying "I don't get it". Even a Baggs Lyric is tuned to just hear the top, not the back and sides (too much echo for an internal mic).

I believe personally that all this arises from ideas that developed when guitars were mic'd live, in which case, yes, a rosewood dread would have been a nightmare, and a nice, even maple guitar would have been so much easier.

Long way of a long way of saying, D-35, LG-2, GS Mini--they will all sound like their electronics, not like their bodies. (Of course, one can perform some wizardry with modeling, EQ and the like.)

Its not complicsted Jess. Guitars with rosewood back and sides and heavy bass bias like Martins are just more difficult to dial in a good plugged in tone. The bass frequencies dominate, irrspective what pickup you use. You have to spend a of time tweaking the dials, which most musos who do pug bug dont have time for.

EA, I am just following you around disagreeing with you today! :P

When it comes to USTs and SBTs, they only "hear" the top ("hear" in quotes for good reason), not the back and sides, so I'm not sure a K&K SBT in a D-35 should theoretically "sound" any different than in a Gibson. Seems to me the soundboard is what the main factor is. It's not going to "hear" (okay the quotes are getting annoying now) the sound of the top bouncing off the rosewood because it only hears the top in the first place.

Long way of saying "I don't get it". Even a Baggs Lyric is tuned to just hear the top, not the back and sides (too much echo for an internal mic).

I believe personally that all this arises from ideas that developed when guitars were mic'd live, in which case, yes, a rosewood dread would have been a nightmare, and a nice, even maple guitar would have been so much easier.

Long way of a long way of saying, D-35, LG-2, GS Mini--they will all sound like their electronics, not like their bodies. (Of course, one can perform some wizardry with modeling, EQ and the like.)

Its not complicsted Jess. Guitars with rosewood back and sides and heavy bass bias like Martins are just more difficult to dial in a good plugged in tone. The bass frequencies dominate, irrspective what pickup you use. You have to spend a of time tweaking the dials, which most musos who do pug bug dont have time for.

Right, which makes total sense to me when it comes to microphones. However, when it comes to something like a UST (which reads string pressure between the saddle and bridge) or an SBT (which reads soundboard vibrations), I don't understand how the back/sides could possibly factor in at all sans microphone. Unless one is using the Aura or something to that effect, which attempts (very well) to restore the actual sound of the guitar to the UST signal.

They do mate, believe me, from experience.

Right, which makes total sense to me when it comes to microphones. However, when it comes to something like a UST (which reads string pressure between the saddle and bridge) or an SBT (which reads soundboard vibrations), I don't understand how the back/sides could possibly factor in at all sans microphone. Unless one is using the Aura or something to that effect, which attempts (very well) to restore the actual sound of the guitar to the UST signal.

Very good, Sal! Adjusting to unforeseen circumstances quickly and efficiently is a good skill for the performer - good job! At the volumes you're working at you could probably get away with a well placed/eq'd live microphone on the 35, but since you have a pickup installed it ought to be made to function anyway.

And more gigs upcoming! You go, sir!

Very good, Sal! Adjusting to unforeseen circumstances quickly and efficiently is a good skill for the performer - good job! At the volumes you're working at you could probably get away with a well placed/eq'd live microphone on the 35, but since you have a pickup installed it ought to be made to function anyway.

And more gigs upcoming! You go, sir!

What Buc said!

I might just stay in my cave - those gigs put you off. I was in a band that had lots of friends that came to gigs and padded out the audience nicely, then joined a band with NO friends AT all and had a couple of gigs at a bar that promised to be our BIG Moment except NOBODY came and we played to a drunk asleep in the corner after pissing himself. Perfect. We turned up on time for the 3rd booked gig there and another band was on - nobody notified us. Professional stuff all around.....Everyone was pretty down, but then what seems like hours later, the phone rings and we had a support gig at a top venue every Sat afternoon. We did that a month or so and then got moved to Saturday evening every week support whoever was on - there were 2 stages, main room stage and a bar room stage. We played the bar stage where everyone gathered before the main gig...first set, then the main act did a set, we did a set, then main act...etc. there were some big acts and it was incredible really. We got all kinds of other gigs from just BEING THERE......

BluesKing777.

So, Sal, let me see if I understand you:

Guitar failure at gig.
[blush]

Wife is in audience and documents it on video.:blink:

You get to buy another guitar for your collection!\:D/

Much enjoyed the vids and the behind-the-scenes documentary all this week.

Still trying to get my head around 40 songs. Wow.

FMA

New guitar?

Won't the other guy want a new guitar as well?

What about me? [biggrin]

While I was practicing with my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI pedal, it occurred to me that you should consider buying one, Sal instead of using the TC.

You dont need the TC unless you are playing and singing solo. Your vocals are sorted together, so I would get the guitar sound and EA will back me in saying the Aura Spectrum is the best you can get for live! Huge lift. (Makes a Baggs sound sensational and i.e. Earlier today, I used my D28 with my 'portable' Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup that I use for my guitars that dont have pickups - slot it in the soundhole and plug to the Fishman and on out to all points. Did a recording and it sounds great, but needed more volume than a Baggs.

Your friend wont thank you for using the harmony pedal, I can tell, but he will just be a tad jealous of the Fish.....

Video very dark and I cant tell what he looks like! And there was a thread in a forum the other day about overhead fans making guitars sound funny.....

BluesKing777.

Yep, next to a microphone, the Aura is the best you can get. I had no idea it worked with a soundhole pickup, and I wasn't sure it worked with non-Fishman USTs, Does that mean it will work with a K&K or other SBT as well? Would be really curious to hear all of the above. I wonder what it would do with a Baggs Lyric??

EA's live setup with the Aura sounds fantastic.

Archived