Gibson Brands Forums

Drive bys

ksdaddy

I've seen many people join this forum and post the SAME song and dance.... they "inherited' a Gibson and would like to know more about it (envision upward glance from puppy dog eyes here). We, being the helpful lot that we are, happily give them some of the best information available...not specifically because we have massive brains (some do!) but mostly because we've gone down that road 1,000 times, we know the main points, and if we don't know, we know what questions to then ask and what resources to tap into to give them the best information out there....in my opinion anyway. If one of us does give some bad info, it's quickly snuffed out and we all learn from it.

It's all good.

I think what does irk me about this whole process is that people find an old Gibson at a yard sale for $40 and think they have to come in here all innocent looking with some cockamamie tale of their grandfather handing it to them on their death bed, which we all fall for....for about three posts. Then the question comes up..."how much is it worth?"

Which was their goal all along. They found an old Gibson at a yard sale, scored it, and are now looking for a free appraisal. All under the guise of the grieving grandson/nephew/pool-boy.

Don't do that to us. We WILL help you. We will tie ourselves in knots to help you. It's in our nature. Don't fling 'heirloom' sh** at us, expect us to rub it all over and ask for more, then expect us to freely hand over a George Gruhn appraisal so your craigslist ad has more credibility.

far worse is the guy who comes in here with his first post and submits "listen to my youtube cover of canon rock/wonderful slippery thing/other weedly deedly song"

he'll never make even one more post, cause all he wants to do is farm views for youtube. no interest in being a part of things here. just spammers

Ohh im kind of used to it...

Many a post goes by where I bother to try and give them the best info I have or to point them in the right direction and not even a thanks or anything...

But im over it now. I guess this is one of the reasons the forum is here to get info.. not everyone wants to sit here discussing if wrap around bridges have better sustain than doing it the normal way etc etc.. and that's fair enough...

In life you get rude people and considerate people I guess its just the same online. Its up to me if I decided to give an answer, I don't have too and if I do I just keep in mind that the person just wants the info and may ever come back.

But then that's what makes this site what it is... Good people willing to share info that we have painstakingly learned over years and years. And im happy to do... I have to use this info for something other than my own nerdyness so if I can help people its all good.

I think the world in general, is becoming a worse place as far as human behavior and interaction. People more so expect dishonesty, and it's more the norm.

Said that not to be negative. I think that when folks come here, they aren't prepared or expecting this to be a place with such good people (which, it IS). So at first, they don't really think we would be kind enough or good enough that THEY don't have to lie about something. (As if, maybe they think we wouldn't help them if they didn't have a sob story or such).

I don't so much blame people for acting as everyone else does, it's just "the world". But I think this here particular forum is a cut above in these terms. Only way I see is to let them find out for themselves by acting the way we do, which might take a bit.

Maybe Gibson Customer Service should make an automated system at least to direct the calls initially.

"If you are calling about a guitar you have in the family, press nine".

Then after pressing nine, it says, "If this is a guitar in the family, press one. If this is something you found at a garage sale, press two. If this is something you see for sale, press three".

I was hoping this would be about the Drive-By Truckers.

Me too.

I've seen those guys a bunch of times and smaller clubs and they always put on a great show. The last time I saw the TDBT

They opened for Chris Young. I wasn't sure who Chris Young was, but the tix were free.

Jason Isbell, who is no longer with TDBT, buts on a killer show. I try to catch Jason everytime he's in the area.

I've seen many people join this forum and post the SAME song and dance.... they "inherited' a Gibson and would like to know more about it (envision upward glance from puppy dog eyes here). We, being the helpful lot that we are, happily give them some of the best information available...not specifically because we have massive brains (some do!) but mostly because we've gone down that road 1,000 times, we know the main points, and if we don't know, we know what questions to then ask and what resources to tap into to give them the best information out there....in my opinion anyway. If one of us does give some bad info, it's quickly snuffed out and we all learn from it.

It's all good.

I think what does irk me about this whole process is that people find an old Gibson at a yard sale for $40 and think they have to come in here all innocent looking with some cockamamie tale of their grandfather handing it to them on their death bed, which we all fall for....for about three posts. Then the question comes up..."how much is it worth?"

Which was their goal all along. They found an old Gibson at a yard sale, scored it, and are now looking for a free appraisal. All under the guise of the grieving grandson/nephew/pool-boy.

Don't do that to us. We WILL help you. We will tie ourselves in knots to help you. It's in our nature. Don't fling 'heirloom' sh** at us, expect us to rub it all over and ask for more, then expect us to freely hand over a George Gruhn appraisal so your craigslist ad has more credibility.

I just bought all my Gibson stiff new and played the S!@t out of it for 25-30 years. Much of it cost what I considered a small fortune at the time. 25 years later with countless hours of enjoyment I consider it to be one hell of a barbing.

I never do tag sales, ebay or anything homing to score some priceless Gibson for like 40 bucks. That kind of luck would never happen to me. It I did score a vintage piece of gear that way I keep it until I died and then my heirs could put it up for sale at a tag sale.

So if you wait long enough and are up in the lovely Berkshires tag saling someday, be sure to stop at what will be my estate sale.:D Hopefully it's a long way off, but ya never know.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm very wary of the people who turn up every few months wanting to know why their fake is a fake. Seems to me these guys are probably looking for info on how to photograph their fake in such a way that it's not obvious. One recently had 4 threads in a year all asking "is this real or fake?". Immediately followed up with... "how can you tell?"

yea, it gets annoying.

and equally annoying is a poster who asks for help on a problem, and we go to great lengths to ask question and give opinions.

and they never visit the thread, or by any indications ever post here again.

I don't appreciate those threads either.,

Sometimes people do ask innocent questions that appear to be loaded. I'm afraid I was the initiator once. I went to a site that might have been called "ask a cop dot com" or something like that. Maybe it was a law enforcement site that had a section as thus, I don't recall. I asked a question about radar. It was along the lines of "Do your radar units in your cruiser display the speed of everyone you meet, or do you set a threshold and it alerts when someone goes over or....?" It was just a curiosity thing and nothing more. I would think it would be distracting for a unit to display the speed of every car I met and I would like the chance to tell it "don't bother me unless they're doing XX or higher". Fact is, I commute 52 miles one way every day and my navy blue Impala (which looks amazingly like an unmarked cop car) is constantly at 65 in a 55 zone. I meet state cops and they don't even look up at me. I almost think they 'know' me now, and know I'm just headed to work and not looking to terrorize the road.

Anyway, I posted that question and the responses I got were accusatory. All of them. They outright said I must have gotten a ticket and was looking for an 'out'. I responded by thanking them for their replies and further stating I would not bother them with questions anymore and suggested if they had any intention of cultivating any positive relationship with the public they were failing miserably.

I think ONE officer replied in a civil fashion and stated that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of radar units being used and some can be configured differently than others...there's no quick and dirty answer that covers all systems.

I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 1981 by the way.

The treatment I received helps me bite my tongue when replying to obvious loaded heirloom guitar or fake guitar questions... they MAY be legit... but I'm a bit cynical.

As for me, it's pretty likely that I don't get the undertones right in most cases. Reading lines in my second language doesn't make things easier, but however, I think I'd get fooled by certain dictions in my mother's language, too.

I try it the other way round. Given I'd inherit some stuff I never would buy myself, and possibly it has a certain value, what would I do? I don't know anything about e. g. watches or cutlery except what they were made for initially, let alone paintings. If I need to find out something more, perhaps I would join a forum looking trustworthy to me, and end up as a drive by within only days or weeks - how can I know before? At least it's rather probable. I may have had honest intentions, but perhaps nobody else would get to know in the end.

Accessibility problems are another point, and I have met them here, too. In case I want to post an update to an old thread, recalling it can be very time-consuming if I had left it without using the notification option. This may also happen to a drive by and finally make her/him staying just that. One may lose the desire to post an update over it.

Just my two cents.

Some looking for info are legit, maybe. A lot are just conditioned by today's culture of information at one's fingertips.

Their quest can lead to instant gratification or a never-ending search. The choice to be genial just never even occurs to many.

I'm with Farnsbarns 100% about the fake stuff. I would wager the larger percentage are looking for ways to minimize their detection.

If not, they've likely been taken advantage of.

Archived