Gibson Brands Forums

Duane Allman

Gibson Artist

What really astonished me was when I found out that all of the great parts I loved so much on the Layla album were the ones played by Duane Allman! Eric said that the higher pitched sounding guitar parts (Stratocaster) was him, the deeper sounding guitar parts (Les Paul) was Duane.

No wonder Derek and the Dominos Live didn't have that same magic.

I grew up around Macon, GA. I've been to the spot where he was hit on his motorcycle. And also where Berry Oakley got hit on his bike only 3 blocks away about a year later.

It is still hard for to believe that something like that actually happened.

I have also visited Duane Allman's grave in Macon at Rose Hill Cemetery.

I brought some flowers to leave, but most of what I saw left there were empty Jack Daniel's bottles, and pot roaches. They were all over the large cement block that sits on top of his gave with a guitar carved on it. Berry is buried right next to him.

At least Dickey was a great player which allowed them to carry on and still make some terrific music.

RIP Skydog!

That said, there are those who say that Derek Trucks is Duane reincarnated.

Oh, Jesus! :rolleyes:

As much as I love Duane Allman, Derek Trucks is his own man. He has his own voice on the instrument. In fact he has taken slide to places Duane never thought about going. Though he might have if he had lived past 24!

Oh, Jesus! :rolleyes:

As much as I love Duane Allman, Derek Trucks is his own man. He has his own voice on the instrument. In fact he has taken slide to places Duane never thought about going. Though he might have if he had lived past 24!

Well, indeed, it isn't really fair to compare them totally. Duane was first, and he had a short career. Derek picked up where Duane left off, and has reached an age where he has more experience that Duane never did.

But, one CAN'T help but make some sort of comparison. Since Duane, MANY have heard and loved his playing, and although there have been many good and great slide players, none (in the mainstream public) could do what Duane did. None could sound "like" him or play as good in his particular style.

But Derek, at an early age, DID do what Duane did. He was actually able to capture his style, his "essence", and play as well as Duane. He wasn't a stand in, and he didn't get the gig because he was family. He truly WAS able to in all ways slide, replace Duane with nothing left to be desired.

Or corse, any one with THAT much talent is going to progress, and he has. And I think it's worth pointing out, it's Mr. Trucks who is doing the progressing, taking whatever Duane did and beyond. And it's fair to say, that had both been alive at the same time, or given the equal chance of circumstances, one would be like Duane and one would be like Derek, and they would be different. As it is, we have what Mr. Trucks sounds like because of what Mr. Trucks is.

There was a time there, after Brothers and Sisters, when the Allmans had just as good a slide player as Duane, but he didn't do it for long. I think I saw three or four shows at that time, and he killed it every time, Wipe The Windows has Dickey playing quite a few slide numbers. Much much later, after Jack Pearson, Dickey would get the slide out once in a while, but he always hated the comparisons to Duane, so it isn't often. A really really really absurdly great night, a real tear jerker, was at Camden Center up there 20 years ago, a semi-outdoor thing with a big lawn out back and stuff. They did an unplugged set, which was pretty fun to begin with, and just Warren and Dickey were flogging at a couple old Gibson acoustics. Dickey got a slide out of his pocket and him and Warren and Gregg on his Washburn absolutely tore it up on Pony Boy, the one and only time I ever saw him do that out of more than 50 times seeing them guys.

rct

Nice thread for one of the greatest. I posted this a couple of years ago but a lot of you might have missed it. Duane at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium (Lowell, MA) two days before the famed Fillmore East shows in 1971. Photo credit to my friend and former guitar tech the late Bob "Nut" Winters who was at the show. At 57 I was too young to have seen Duane live but the Fillmore East album was one of the foundations for my guitar playing.

Duane_zpsfde5fba1.jpg

Archived