Gibson Brands Forums

New RabsWood vid with a special guest player No 2

Rabs

Today I got some really nice footage of my guitars being played by our own JDGM.. I asked if anyone wanted to help demo my guitars (to save the internet from my playing :)) and he very kindly obliged.. So I went to his place today and this is the result of my first edit...

And yes he was nice enough to play five of my guitars (and the first other guitarist to play my latest builds)...

What I think I may do is use these for a more in depth video and keep my shorter ones for a quick look for people (plus my vid shows heavier sounds).... JDGMs playing is much better and more subtle than mine so he was more able to show it off that I am.. So, thanks man, I really really appreciate it.. And of course is was cool to meet another forum member and what a thoroughly nice bloke he is too :)

Well heres the vid.. See what you think. (yes I just noticed a spelling mistake darn it, ignore that I can change it :)) (and I also just noticed I put the wrong pickup type in the text #-o I should probably go to bed)

Today I got some really nice footage of my guitars being played by our own JDGM.. I asked if anyone wanted to help demo my guitars (to save the internet from my playing :)) and he very kindly obliged.. So I went to his place today and this is the result of my first edit...

And yes he was nice enough to play five of my guitars (and the first other guitarist to play my latest builds)...

What I think I may do is use these for a more in depth video and keep my shorter ones for a quick look for people.... JDGMs playing is much better than mine so he was more able to show it off that I am.. So, thanks man, I really really appreciate it.. And of course is was cool to meet another forum member and what a thoroughly nice bloke he is too :)

Well heres the vid.. See what you think. (yes I just noticed a spelling mistake darn it, ignore that I can change it :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQ_h_fkA4Y

Fantastic demo really great showcase for a very cool Guitar Rabs.I really enjoyed watching that.

Fantastic demo really great showcase for a very cool Guitar Rabs.I really enjoyed watching that.

Thank you sir...

And well I have JDGM to thank really... an editor is only as good as the footage they have to work with and he provided me so much I had a hard time choosing which bits to use in order to not make it too long :)

Very nice. What was it plugged into? Might want to put that in the videos, or at least the description.

I got a little excited when I saw a URL at the end, but it appears it's still under construction :P

-Ryan

The video does mention it right near the beginning of the playing.. (about 1:04 in) and its a Fender Twin Reverb..

And yes, these videos are the last thing ive been waiting to get done before the site goes up.. I think they are important. Almost there (he says again [rolleyes] )

Nice axe in the hands of a real wood chopper.

I'm in awe of anyone who can start with a piece of a tree and end up with a guitar.

Well done.

I agree! [drool]

Beautiful guitar Rabs!!!! Great playing Jdgm! I really wanted to hear that chunk of wood wail on some hard rock leads with some overdrive (I'm just a dirty white boy) but hearing it clean gave us a better idea of what it sounds like. Great job to both of you blokes! [thumbup] Very nice work!!!

Cool! [thumbup] I really like the guest player idea - maybe even get enough footage to have a few different players on each model's video (mixing up tones... high gain, low gain, std, slide, etc). That would be some nice variety. Only wish I lived close enough to come by and have a play on one! [biggrin]

Cool! [thumbup] I really like the guest player idea - maybe even get enough footage to have a few different players on each model's video (mixing up tones... high gain, low gain, std, slide, etc). That would be some nice variety. Only wish I lived close enough to come by and have a play on one! [biggrin]

Well thanks one and all for the nice comments... Getting these vids finished is hopefully the last step before my site goes live and my business is officially in business :)

And well yes id love for more people to play my guitars so anyone whos local(ish) is free to contact me.. However I think id need to make separate videos for each, and have like one heavy video, one with lighter sounds etc etc....

I just finished the rough edit for the next one and tried to trim it down, its at 11 mins at the moment which I have to half.. Too much footage, not enough time (cos you really don't want overly long vids, people don't have that much of an attention span these days). I think that last vid which is almost 7 mins long is probably the max they should be, and I reckon that's pushing it.

I agree! [drool]

Beautiful guitar Rabs!!!! Great playing Jdgm! I really wanted to hear that chunk of wood wail on some hard rock leads with some overdrive (I'm just a dirty white boy) but hearing it clean gave us a better idea of what it sounds like. Great job to both of you blokes! [thumbup] Very nice work!!!

Cheers man.

And well, expect some dirt on the next vid :)

Thanks man.. I really do appreciate all the comments...

And yes its been quite a journey from old door to what I am making now.. And this is still early days for me yet... While I don't think im ever gonna re-invent much, I hope that a creative and experimental approach will lead to some cool builds :)

The next vid of the Mahogany Single cut is coming .. Just uploading now.. Some more great stuff from JDGM. [thumbup]

And heres the next one.. Man I had so much good footage from this one it was hard to bring it down.. hopefully what I have left in is all relevant..

Some nice tasty playing here and near the end we give it some full dirt :)

Just watched it twice. Did you really get all those sounds using just a Fender Twin Reverb? I didnt know they offered that much gain!

I know you edited down, but painful as it is, there is still much more here than needed to get the message across. Difficult to prune back JDGM's fine playing though.

I cant work out why both pickups sounded warmer than the bridge though.

Its looking very nice and showing the singlecut off nicely. =D>

Just watched it twice. Did you really get all those sounds using just a Fender Twin Reverb? I didnt know they offered that much gain!

I know you edited down, but painful as it is, there is still much more here than needed to get the message across. Difficult to prune back JDGM's fine playing though.

I cant work out why both pickups sounded warmer than the bridge though.

Its looking very nice and showing the singlecut off nicely. =D>

Cheer man :)

And yes its all just guitar and amp (and JDGMs hands of course), no effect pedals at all, I insisted on that (and im sure he will confirm it when hes about)..... Yeah im not exactly sure why the middle position does that.. But it sounds cool :D

And yeah, I may yet trim that last one of the single cut down a bit... I think the first one of the double cut is just about right. (even though the single cut one is only 1:30 longer so its not crazy).

...id love for more people to play my guitars so anyone whos local(ish) is free to contact me...

I would love to have a shot at some of them - and I think I can also guarantee that there would be no difficulty in trimming any footage shot down to less than a minute...

Looking and sounding really sweet both of you!

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Pip.

P.S. : I'm in SE20...

Please excuse me Rabs ....

My own many thanks to all for the compliments and comments.... [blush]

Rabs makes a mean guitar and is also an experienced and professional video editor! 3 cameras and a separate sound track (I hope I'm not giving away secrets :-#).

About the guitars - like everyone else I had only seen pics of these guitars before Rabs brought in FIVE of them!

I am heavy-handed - I go up to 0.11 [smile]- and at times you can see and hear I'm messing up by pushing too hard (or whatever)...over-widdling....strings were somewhat lighter than I'm used to.

I was extremely impressed with the 12" radius(?) fretboards and the absolute accuracy of the fretting. All guitars played very 'lively', had plenty of top and bottom and I should have spent more time on the one with the Tele pup arrangement I think.

All have plenty of poke and 2 have fattish necks. Have to say that the single-cut is my favourite Rabswood so far and I'd do a gig on that anytime.

Did you really get all those sounds using just a Fender Twin Reverb? I didnt know they offered that much gain!

Yes. No pedals. But this is a Fender Twin Reverb II from the Paul Rivera-designed range of 1983, with one clean channel and one monstrous drive channel. It is the amp model before the red-knob 'evil' Twin and they wanted it to compete with Mesa-Boogie and Dumble.

The smaller combos in this range go for silly money now.

The Ist vid is (obviously) all using the clean channel with treble, bass and mid all full up, a little reverb, presence about half - perhaps should have backed that off more. The second one adds overdrive and then distortion, both via the amp's drive channel.

The Fender Twin design is to me a reference for clean tones, with a whole extra world of treble compared to some British designs.....though I had other amps ready.....unfortunately we simply could not turn the amp up loud enough to really sing (gig volume), nor could we turn it up loud enough so that turning the guitar volume down would clean it up.

I think the idea of getting other players' opinions is a very good one too.

All in all a great pleasure - thanks once again Rabs!

That had everything you need to see i.m.h.o. Maybe some heavy distortion, but thats not that important. They all look great and sound awesome!!! Great job!!

Thanks man :)

And yes I think now I have these JDGM vids I will make sure mine concentrate on the more heavy side of things .. Like the other ones I made.. You get some nice gain near the end....

Please excuse me Rabs ....

My own many thanks to all for the compliments and comments.... [blush]

Rabs makes a mean guitar and is also an experienced and professional video editor! 3 cameras and a separate sound track (I hope I'm not giving away secrets :-#).

All in all a great pleasure - thanks once again Rabs!

Haha, no, no secrets there.... I need a separate track for the amp mic, cos if I were to rely on the sound of the cameras youd hear lots of hissing and ambient noise, doing a direct amp track gives you the cleanest sound possible.

And yes they all have a 12" radius (more or less :))

It was also a pleasure for me to get a proper player on my guitars and see what they can really do [thumbup] (so once again, thanks :))

Archived