Gibson Brands Forums

No more Elvis

deepblue

I like some of his songs but he's gathering dust pretty quickly. I can't see how his music can connect with the younger generations. Kids that grew up in the 90's (like me) were raised hearing completely different music. The production quality of Elvis's heyday alone could turn off most modern listeners.

The man was huge and his impact on music is only trumped by The Beatles and Led Zeppelin in my opinion. Suspicious Minds is also one of my favorite songs and go-to covers.

Here are my two true Elvis stories:

1) In 1970 I saw Elvis at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, they pulled him around in a trailer while he lipsynced a couple of tunes. It sucked.

2 I got married in 1996 to my Wife, whom I met in Colorado. Our honeymoon consisted partially of driving back from Colorado to North Carolina. We brought her neurotic cocker spaniel with us and we stopped at Graceland on our way through Memphis. As I was walking her dog around, he decided to take a dump on the sidewalk right in front of the gate to Graceland. The other tourists were not happy about it, so I told them he was just "TCB". Nobody laughed except my wife.

I've been to Graceland twice and I like Elvis OK, he was a very good showman that is for sure, having said that I expected he would have a better toaster in that kitchen...

Some rooms in Graceland look like a cheap Motel...you kind of feel dirty after visiting...

I stopped in Tupelo on my way back to Nashville from Jackson, MS via the historic Natchez Trace Parkway and visited his childhood home, that was kind of neat but it is 2 rooms, living room and kitchen. That is when I found out why they call them living rooms....

I've said that I did not like the brown sound or the cheesy VH lyrics and the fundamentalists ripped me apart.

Now the guy comes here and says he hates Elvis and walk out to live another day.

What's wrong here?

Not that I care but Eddie is essentially a guitar player and Elvis is a vocalist that plays guitar. This is a guitar forum so you do the math.

I like VH ok, Eddie is a great guitar player but I was always picky about their songwriting. Guitar-wise Eddie is/was a God tough...

Archived