Gibson Brands Forums

'True Historic' Acoustics?

BluesKing777

I get Guitarist UK magazine and the latest review is of the (electric) Gibson True Historic Les Paul - they may not let you read it unless you pay them or do their survey:

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gibson-true-historic-1960-les-paul-murphy-aged-630883

Here is F/S at Wildwood:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson_custom_shop/true_historic_les_paul.htm

But the crux of the thread is that Gibson's Tom Murphy has been scratching and 'pre-aging' electric Gibsons for many years and I was wondering when Montana will get on the 'relic'd' train?

I could especially see the L-00 32 Vintage with a few gouges and scratches and rusted bits, or of course the RJ or the L1! Of course, the Martin Authentics are crying out for it as well.

Here is an old vid of Tom doing the deed live!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGaLB2I2GFE

What do you think? Aren't we Acoustikas staid with our perfect finishes? I happily buy a old scratched and cracked vintage Gibson but want a shiny reproduction L-00 Blues King..... I'm going for the Blues King with the Tom Murphy gouge right down the front.

BluesKing777.

Tom Murphy is a flippin' genius. I put him right up there with Vince Cunetto (the early days of the Fender Custom Shop). I have no real issues with artificially aged guitars. As I see it, they are just a finish option. It is just not to my liking so I say Nay. Plus something like an L-00 Legend finished by Murphy would probably be so cost prohibitive it would end up being out of reach to us mere mortals.

The aging game does not working the acoustic market. My experience would indicate that folks want their flattops squeaky clean and quibble over the slightest ding or spot of glue run out. Yellowed bindings and top toner are about as far as folks are willing to go.

Yet electric Gibson buyers are happily paying almost $3000 extra for the full True Historic Les Paul Tom Murphied......$11,099 was it for the LP?

It is the latest and it is coming to acoustics soon, I would say. Who will crack first - Gibson, Martin or Taylor?

It may cause a problem or two picking the real vintage J45.... I nearly had my J45 authenticated before when instead of putting it on my guitar stand, I got lazy and lent it against my desk.......yikes, caught it.

BluesKing777.

Nicely put.

RSALAGNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Nice catch Aerohead.

This supposedly 64-year-old guitar sure has a squeaky clean fretboard.

Doesn't look right, does it?

Gouge it with Tom Murphy's patented set of car keys and my own suggestion - raise the action about 1/4 to 3/4"..... [biggrin]

Mr Murphy does a better job - some experts can't tell it is fake, we are told.

It will be brave, Minister (quote show Yes Minister), but who here is going first with gouging and scratchin' their latest aquisition?

BluesKing777.

I'm sorry, but PAYING to have a guitar beat-up is, well, makes no sense to me at all.

I honestly don't mind, depending. I am kinda the last guy to NOT buy a guitar that has wear or has been beat. But to me, (and I think most of us), we expect an "aged" guitar to sound better because it has been played, and a "beat" guitar to cost less because it hasn't been cared for. A "relic'ed" guitar just seems the worst of both.

However, if anyone is interested in a 2003 Chevy Silverado and is willing to pay more for the dents and damage, send me a PM.

You folks are way to young to remember that Gibson Montana had been doing this for years. Ren Ferguson was aging guitars in the Custom Shop in 1992. He experimented with dry ice on fresh nitro and then went with the scratch/etching technique that he taught to Tom Murphy. Murphy was better at aging metal and his tuners are tops but Ren was the master of the aged Gibson acoustic. Me? Hell I'm pretty good at it as well. My secret? Buy a perfectly good guitar and play the hell out of it for 20 years. Works every time....

However, if anyone is interested in a 2003 Chevy Silverado and is willing to pay more for the dents and damage, send me a PM.

Good point - the next rage for the uber cool :

Distressed car duco, seats, pedals, dash....ha ha...wheels? [biggrin]

Hey, that's my car!!

(someone threw battery acid or brake fluid or something at it at the shops one day - I thought it was bird X, but when I wiped it off the clear coat came with it. Pretty low act! Worth calling the Insurance and losing the no claim? Nup - wear it.)

BluesKing777.

Interesting concept, my J45s finish is mellowing nicely nine months down the line , just letting nature take its course. However I had a 52 Custom Shop Telecaster Relic that played and sounded fantastic , after the honeymoon period I couldn't live with all the scratches and wear so I sold it . I would never buy another one but to look at yes they are a work of art , the recent Les Paul in last months Guitarist looks totally amazing . The only real advantage to me would be if I was gigging regularly again the worry about marking the guitar would be reduced

Here's a distressed Les Paul for you BK.

And, it's in Oz so if your car is working you can just drive over and pick it up.

You'll love the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdjIHgdK4rE

Owners of that model would easily buy a couple of the True Historics to tour with and leave Bessie at home.

I did like the price - it made Claxton horns go off.

Err... Jacksons Rare Guitars went broke and gone quite a few years back, a shame as they had all THE guitars but priced to make you cry - best to walk past on the other side of the street.

And I was in a band for a few months in the early years with another guitar player who had an L series Strat and what looked like that Les? Wonder what castle he lives in now?

BluesKing777.

Well, took one for the team and got the keys, scraper and screwdriver on to the Blues King.. [biggrin]

Thee is one heck of a difference between buying an old guitar on the cheap because of condition issues and spending X amount of extra bucks to buy one that looks old.

I went the opposite direction on my 1942 J-50

Before

Gibsons003-1.jpg

After

Gibson%20J-50%20amp%20LG-2%20001_zps60wlybqh.jpg

My bass player has a Sandberg bass that came distressed. I love the look of that thing and I like the process done on electric guitars, especially Telecasters (I was a big Roy Buchanan fan) but for some reason it just doesn't translate for me on acoustics. One of my earliest posts here was asking about when I could expect the finish on my 2006 J-50 to begin crazing, as I like that look on older Gibsons I've seen, and I was admonished by a few that the finish either wouldn't do that or wasn't intended to. I've played it now and left it in the sun for about seven years and it has begun to craze and age rather nicely. And it has all the pick scratches and dings and fret divots that come with use. It's been a labor of love aging that J-50 myself but I'd never pay to have an acoustic done at the factory. But if I saw a relic-ed Aaron Lewis SJ on the Trading Post for $1400 or some such I think I'd plunk down the cash pretty quickly. You all know what I mean.

Archived