Gibson Brands Forums

les paul and strat

lespauldc

I have a Les Paul traditional and an American standard Strat. The Les Paul is like lifting a truck compared to the strat. I cant really hold the les paul very long' date=' how do pro guitarists do it? [/quote']

Outside of doing more situps, I have no idea as mine kills my lower back after three hours of rehearsal (hell, my back hurts by halfway through the night). I play a Strat with my band and weight is a huge reason why.

I must admit (seriously) last week for the first time after playing continuously for about 4 hours my back and neck were sore. I really didn't think about it until you mentioned the weight thing. Could be it or I could just be getting old. Probably both. BTW. I play a Gibson LP Standard. 2007.

Note: Continuously = small refreshment/lavatory breaks no sexual encounters occurred or I would have said continuously - coitus = total time.

I almost bought a LP Standard last year at this time and almost bought it, but got an SG Standard because not only did the neck fit my hands better but when I picked it up off the wall I hardly noticed the weight. Granted it's not as thick sounding as a LP but I prefer it that way.

No pain, no gain.

If you can't stand the weight of your LP then you probably shouldn't have bought it. In a lot of people's opinions (mine included) it's what makes a Les Paul a Les Paul. But as Tim pointed out, I'm sure it will grow on you. Nice choice by the way - LPs and Strats go great together.

No pain' date=' no gain.

If you can't stand the weight of your LP then you probably shouldn't have bought it.[/quote']

Unless you bought said Les Paul some 17 years ago when you were 25 years old and are now over 40. Just wait, Sport.

"What a drag it is getting old." - Mick Jagger

Unless you bought said Les Paul some 17 years ago when you were 25 years old and are now over 40. Just wait' date=' Sport.

[i']"What a drag it is getting old."[/i] - Mick Jagger

True... I'm sure the fact that my LP is chambered helps... I'm not sure if I could hang on to one of those 70s Customs for 3+ hours.

Getting old is the sh!ts, but the alternative's worse...

Man, as much as people razz on those chambered and weight relieved LPs, I would LOVE to get my hands on one. My Custom Shop Custom (solid) is a bastard to play with a strap standing up for an extended length of time. No offense, but I suspect that those who claim that Les Pauls aren't too heavy have never played one that weighs over 10 pounds while standing up for over an hour. Wider straps don't help either as, for me, it isn't an issue of pressure on my shoulder (I use regular old 2 1/2" leather straps), it's being pulled forward over time by the weight that causes my lower back to ache.

My issue is that I had a back injury a few years ago from golfing. My one hip is smaller than the other and the constant pulling of my muscles finally caught up to me. I went from a weekly regiment of 3 days of weight lifting and 3 days of 30+ miles on a bike to nothing for two years. Needless to say that I could not strap on a Les Paul without being in a lot of discomfort. Unfortunately, beer didn't help! The strat was indeed better in that sense. It took a while of doing yoga, lots of daily stretching, sit ups, back strengthening exercises, but now I'm back to myself. Putting on a Les Paul for a few hours is not a problem these days but I try to be more careful...

Archived