Gibson Brands Forums

Grammys

rct

I understand a show full of hot chix and dudes in front of massive walls of all kinds of amps and loads of sweet guitars and basses

rct

And cases rct, did you see those cases?

Award shows really don't do it for me. The Grammy, Oscar, Emmy, they're about commerce, not art.

Last one I saw was part of an award a band I was in was receiving one as 'Living Legends.' I kid you not. It was an organization out of Los Angeles and our bass player was the brother of the dude organizing the affair. A total scam. The guy (except for us) charged entrants to be considered for the award! The scam is still on, the guy has been pulling this and several other unsavory deals for almost 25 years!

We held a vote as to who would actually pick up the award the night of the gig, and I lost. Even the guys own brother didn't want to go. I grabbed the article and split fast. I was completely embarrassed.

Thing is rct, even though I hold no love of these affairs, my wife who is in entertainment media makes high coin of these gigs.

What the hey man, if you dig 'em, it's no skin offa my molars, party on.

Still beats guns...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am amused by the collective inability to see the massive forest lurking behind the scary trees.

Music is a weird business, and I'd bet every guitar I have that the most belligerent hater of Grammys on this or any other forum would be much different if it was their kid makin the big time. It is amazing how such a crap sandwich of an evening becomes the one true arbiter of quality when it is personalized.

In the end, it's a tv show full of guitars. You'd think that the majority of people that call themselves guitar players and that have been in front of at least a hundred people at least once in their lives would want to watch just for the inevitable car wrecks like Adele this year, and the big cringes like Hollywood Vampires.

Each to his own.

rct

the majority of the show was garbage. cool seeing Stapleton, Raitt, and Gary Clark Jr. doing a tribute to B.B. Glad to see an independent artist like Jason Isbell win a couple.

behind all of the stupid pop nonsense of the event; there were some well deserved wins.

I am amused by the collective inability to see the massive forest lurking behind the scary trees.

Music is a weird business, and I'd bet every guitar I have that the most belligerent hater of Grammys on this or any other forum would be much different if it was their kid makin the big time. It is amazing how such a crap sandwich of an evening becomes the one true arbiter of quality when it is personalized.

In the end, it's a tv show full of guitars. You'd think that the majority of people that call themselves guitar players and that have been in front of at least a hundred people at least once in their lives would want to watch just for the inevitable car wrecks like Adele this year, and the big cringes like Hollywood Vampires.

Each to his own.

rct

I think few of us really hate the Grammys. It’s more likely apathy at work. If we were compelled to watch them, then yes, hatred might creep into it.

It might be as great as you say. I have no idea because I have not watched. So if anyone is missing out here it going to be me. That’s fair enough. Some of us old timers were always anti-show business and haven’t changed that much.

As for our kids, few of us are un-blinkered where they are concerned. Just for the record though, I am.

If instead, it was one of us up there and we knew we weren’t as good/talented/skilful/deserving as the others there. We would probably feel duly embarrassed about it.

I’m glad you enjoyed the show rct. Sorry to rain on your enthusiasm.

It might be as great as you say.

I didn't say it was great. In fact, the only posts I actually put up about it as it started should have told the savvy reader the complete opposite.

rct

The Grammies are a joke... have been for a long time. Mainstream music blows, in general.

Since her Super Bowl national anthem, I've grown to respect Lady Gaga. But her Bowie tribute was not all that great. It was ok.

Paul McCartney denied entry to a post-Grammy party? 'Nuff said.

The Grammies are a joke... have been for a long time. Mainstream music blows, in general.

Since her Super Bowl national anthem, I've grown to respect Lady Gaga. But her Bowie tribute was not all that great. It was ok.

Paul McCartney denied entry to a post-Grammy party? 'Nuff said.

[scared] :unsure: WTF??!

CB

If Bowie was alive he would not be amused. I'm sure his heirs were not.

Once more than three people like something it is mainstream for at least some time. If it is true that mainstream music blows, how come so much adoration for Zeppelin and ACDC and ZZ? If they aren't mainstream I don't know what is.

rct

If Bowie was alive he would not be amused. I'm sure his heirs were not.

Once more than three people like something it is mainstream for at least some time. If it is true that mainstream music blows, how come so much adoration for Zeppelin and ACDC and ZZ? If they aren't mainstream I don't know what is.

rct

Bowie's son was not. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/02/16/david-bowies-son-takes-aim-lady-gagas-grammy-tribute/80448424/#

This new artist Tori Kelly had one hell of a voice. I liked her [thumbup]

tori-kelly-bet-29jun15-10.jpg

She also looked totally unimpressed when Taylor Swift was giving her acceptance speech which made me like Tori even more :)

She sang her song "Hollow" (with some other dork) which showed off her vocal control which was awesome. [wub]

The Hollywood Vampires made me vomit. And note to Alice Cooper - when you're 68 years old you don't look so cool in heavy eye make up anymore brother. The 70's are over. Joe Perry - spectacular playing skills but the entire set was so loud & somewhat distorted and reminded me of gigs we played when we were like 16 years old and we thought "too loud" was cool. Not to be nit picky (but I will) with Johnny Depp's millions of dollars - why the bad teeth? Weird.

That is all.... Now all of you punks get offa my lawn! [cursing]

[lol]

The Hollywood Vampires made me vomit. And note to Alice Cooper - when you're 68 years old you don't look so cool in heavy eye make up anymore brother. The 70's are over. Joe Perry - spectacular playing skills but the entire set was so loud & somewhat distorted and reminded me of gigs we played when we were like 16 years old and we thought "too loud" was cool. Not to be nit picky (but I will) with Johnny Depp's millions of dollars - why the bad teeth? Weird.

I love Joe Perry but he looked like a pop pop that couldn't find his car at the mall. Dreadful.

rct

I was impressed by Tori Kelly, but for the most part, the show was hampered by a terrible sound engineer and just lame performances.

I must be an old curmudgeon, whatever Alabama Shakes is selling, it is not rock. A DVR and fast forward made the show.

How could you do a BB King tribute and not invite Joe Bonamassa?

I was impressed by Tori Kelly, but for the most part, the show was hampered by a terrible sound engineer and just lame performances.

I must be an old curmudgeon, whatever Alabama Shakes is selling, it is not rock. A DVR and fast forward made the show.

How could you do a BB King tribute and not invite Joe Bonamassa?

I can't tolerate that woman hollering at me, so I left the room while they were on.

The BB King "tribute" was one of the biggest snoozes I've ever seen. My wife said my bands ruined Thrill is Gone by making it a dance number compared to that crap.

rct

I watched about 2 years ago. Maybe 3? 3? Don't remember. Who cares. The point is, when I watched, there was lots of rap and hip-hop, but little music. Didn't make sense to me, that Grammies which is about music would be mostly rap and such.

Still, I think the reason MOST of us get disappointed or downright disgusted is that there seems to be a disconnect between what is mainstream, or popular, and what is on the Grammies these days. But then, that is the state of music in general now.

I guess another way to put it, is if the Grammies or music industry is in their own little part of the world while the rest of us are listening to this and that, then NOBODY will like the Grammies except for those in that little world.

And "we", long for the days when we were all on the same page and we could all relate and participate.

Had I had TV, I would have watched for the tributes.

Still, I long for the days when there were those that when the opportunity came for big exposure, would just KILL IT, and they had the talent to do so.

I cannot watch Taylor Swift. There's something about her shape and her movements that make me nauseous. Anyone remember when Elaine on Seinfeld tried to dance? That's Taylor Swift to me. White girl with no rhythm or groove whatsoever. [thumbdn]

Liked the Eagle's tribute to Glen Frye - but Jackson Browne looked very old and tired. And seemed like he didn't have the breath to finish the lyrics. Sad.

The Eagles Tribute was about all I watched. I have to agree with you and add that he seemed to get mixed up on the lyrics here and there as well. Overall, though, I thought it was a very nice Tribute.

Just watched the Gaga Bowie tribute.

I have to say, it was weak. I mean , REALLY weak.

I say that, because for someone who is supposed to be up there with the best, and the depth of Bowie , his carreer, and sheer volume of materiel available, it would have been SO easy to make a good tribute.

Again, as a critic, I say she missed the mark hugely. Didn't try and "dance" like him, didn't try and "look" like him, didn't really do him any kind of tribute at all. Mostly just a weak performance, a Lady Gaga performance, rather then a real tribute.

Tastes change, people move on. That's just "Life!" Luckily, recorded music is

easily accessible, these days, so we can pick and choose what we want, to listen

to, or buy, more so, than ever. The younger generation will always find it's own

music. New or old. More often than not, it will be old music, with a new slant,

or at the very least derived from what's gone before. As it's always been.

And, unfortunately, people LOVE to "HATE!" [flapper][biggrin] And, have a forum

(The Internet) for that 24/7, like never before, reaching all over the world!

Be it Music, movies, art, politics, religion, ethnicity, whatever! But, that format

can also be used for better understanding, as well. It's (always) a matter of

choice! (So far, anyway.)

On my better, less cynical days, I only hope/pray, that when all this settles down,

and all the possibilities, are then more routine, that we'll decide our similarities,

far outweigh our differences, and we'll embrace one another, instead of hating, and

marginalizing one another.

Pipe dream? Maybe??! But one can always hope=dream! [biggrin]

CB

Archived