Gibson Brands Forums

Banner or standard block logo?

SkyRider

Depends. The original banners were pretty well confined to 45's, SJ's, and LG's. I've not personally seen a banner J-50, but I believe a few examples probably exist. At one time, I owned what was either a banner LG-3 or an LG-2 with a very old (and very good) professional refinish. That said, I'm pretty comfortable with any or all of the above being reissued with the banner and/or the script logo. When it comes to applying those to guitars that didn't have them originally - square shoulder models and the like - it just doesn't feel right. I'd be OK with the block logo being retired in favor of the script for most everything, but that's an entirely different subject.

This is my Gibson. There are many like it but this one is mine.

My Gibson is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Strong words in July. .

Wish you the best

1A.jpg"

This is my Gibson. There are many like it but this one is mine.

My Gibson is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Did you learn the original version in the same circumstances as this old country boy?

Here's a few of mine. I like them all.

[inserted image of Gibson Headstockfest here]

. . . and I think we're done here.

Dave- did you get to look at that '37 L-00 on CraigsList? There is a silver script logo in your composite photo (but it doesn't look 80 years old)

I know the original question was Banner or Block, but the large slanted MOP script of '47/48 has always been my favorite. Dave somehow missed this one in his collection.

Here's my 1947 L-7 headstock face:

27581801293_fde66814cf_o.jpg

Although with the block logo, add the flower pot inlay and some Imperials, and the only way to make this headstock any prettier would be the above mentioned script.

My L-5:

4172741064_e01d60d689_o.jpg

I'm going to ask my wife to do a little Photoshop magic and combine the two, stay tuned.

Dave- did you get to look at that '37 L-00 on CraigsList? There is a silver script logo in your composite photo (but it doesn't look 80 years old)

The L00 didn't happen

The L00 didn't happen. Went to San Diego

I know the original question was Banner or Block, but the large slanted MOP script of '47/48 has always been my favorite. Dave somehow missed this one in his collection.

Here's my 1947 L-7 headstock face:

27581801293_fde66814cf_o.jpg

Although with the block logo, add the flower pot inlay and some Imperials, and the only way to make this headstock any prettier would be the above mentioned script.

My L-5:

4172741064_e01d60d689_o.jpg

I'm going to ask my wife to do a little Photoshop magic and combine the two, stay tuned.

Larry,

Here's your photoshop

composite_zpsfrefpe9b.jpg

I do have that logo on a couple guitars but not in MOP

A27C45CE-F251-4EB1-B664-5F0B3160F55A_zpsobrl9rme.jpg

This is as close as I come to the Holy Grail

1CEEAC28-698D-43D2-AAF9-F30AB31C4141_zpsgegrlwha.jpg

I threw this one in for Sal

E9F7EC5E-823C-4D22-A8DE-7E964B253147_zps1csdwg6q.jpg

I like the Banner:

BannerGibsonCD11Headstocks_zps8306d087.jpg

OK, none of these are modern guitars. As far as modern guitars go, early in the Montana days, Gibson pared the pearl, block logo with the Banner. I'll search for pic.

Actually, I like the full banner logo on either true banner-era guitars, or on modern reproductions of those, like my 1943 SJ re-issue. I don't mind a script logo on other modern Gibsons, provided they are not full modern creations, such as the dark-burst 'Bird.

Period repros should have period logos. Modern creations deserve a more modern logo, and the block logo ain't bad.

To each his own here. The logo isn't going to make or break a deal for me.

Archived