Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul with ebony fretboard + abalone inlays.

silver_mica

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to admire Epiphone. The eternal underdog, they have one arm tied behind their back, and told to fight. And they do!

I agree wholeheartedly.

The Epi LP Standard I had was a really good guitar - better than many of the Gibsons I tried out subsequently.

The Inspired by '55 Custom in the link is a REALLY good-looking prospect IMO.

Oh, BTW...........I LOVE THE HOFNER!!!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Pip.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The Epi LP Standard I had was a really good guitar - better than many of the Gibsons I tried out subsequently.

The Inspired by '55 Custom in the link is a REALLY good-looking prospect IMO.

Oh, BTW...........I LOVE THE HOFNER!!!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Pip.

And they've been doing it for a few years too, I've a Prophecy LP with 24 frets, Dirty Fingers, and an Ebony board. Quilt top to boot.

So you don't even have to buy one of the new 55's. Although those are drool worthy for sure.

If I didn't already have a Gibson BB with P90's I'd be all over one.

Johnny

...If I didn't already have a Gibson BB with P90's I'd be all over one...

I applaud your taste.

My 'problem' is that I've always been drawn to the '54 spec (with the staple).

For a 'regular' LP I want as close as possible to a PAF but if I ever acquire a LP Custom it would have to be the first version (if I win the lottery) or a re-issue thereof.

Odd (and 100% wrong, I know) but for me a BB with PAFs has never looked quite the same as attractive as the original incarnation.

The really weird thing is that I don't like P-90s in a 'regular' but it would be a necessity in a LPC.

Pip.

It's hard to capture the gorgeous dark ebony board on my 2007 F412. Like Taylor says, which sounds plausible, much of the rich, dark ebony has been farmed. Apparently there's plenty (or at least enough) ebony that's not purely black. It's still ebony.

gui515.jpg

I applaud your taste.

My 'problem' is that I've always been drawn to the '54 spec (with the staple).

For a 'regular' LP I want as close as possible to a PAF but if I ever acquire a LP Custom it would have to be the first version (if I win the lottery) or a re-issue thereof.

Odd (and 100% wrong, I know) but for me a BB with PAFs has never looked quite the same as attractive as the original incarnation.

The really weird thing is that I don't like P-90s in a 'regular' but it would be a necessity in a LPC.

Pip.

I get you, I really do, in fact I've been eyeing Duncan's staple for the neck for quite sometime, just real hard for me to spent that much on a pick up when I've bought guitars for less.

One of these days I just might get over it.

Johnny

Mine's an older version'(black cherry and gold), has single volume/tone with coil split and came stock with the DF's. If I recall the active one's at that time were trans black with black hardware and flame. Pretty sure the none active ones now are the dark cherry gold and come with the 490/498 set.

Johnny

It's hard to capture the gorgeous dark ebony board on my 2007 F412. Like Taylor says, which sounds plausible, much of the rich, dark ebony has been farmed. Apparently there's plenty (or at least enough) ebony that's not purely black. It's still ebony.

gui515.jpg

Ebony board really suits the bling on that Guild. Very pretty.

Johnny

So, the fisherman finds the world's largest naturally occurring pearl with an estimated $100M worth - and then just gives it away. =/

Didn't say he was commercially astute. There must be more to it.

1. You're a fisherman

2. You know oysters, clams, fish, crab, etc.

3. You must know something about pearls

4. You find the motherlode

5. You don't tell anyone or show it to anyone

6. You stick it under your bed

Huh? [confused]

I got 2 Taylors - GS Mini-E and a T5. Both with ebony fingerboards. They're not fully black but have a kind of tiger stripe running the length. Love it. I think is adds more character than just black. If people didn't mind colour variations in ebony, more of the tree could be used. The full black comes from the very heart of the tree. It's still ebony whatever the colour.

I haven't seen that yet - but I'll keep an eye out for it. Got any pictures?

I got 2 Taylors - GS Mini-E and a T5. Both with ebony fingerboards. They're not fully black but have a kind of tiger stripe running the length. Love it. I think is adds more character than just black. If people didn't mind colour variations in ebony, more of the tree could be used. The full black comes from the very heart of the tree. It's still ebony whatever the colour.

Sure - I'll do it tonight & post tomorrow.

Here's the GS Mini-E. My T5 is jet black - apologies for the misinformation. When I got the GS, I didn't really notice it as my eyes were on the Koa. Noticed a few days later and on reflection, I should have had a better look at the stock they had in the shop. I recall there were others in there with more stripes. Damn - now I can't upload a 22.4K file. Says I've only got 19.16K left. I'll be back!

My 2001 Les Paul Studio copper top has the ebony fingerboard, but (curiously enough) no inlays whatsoever.

I really dig the look and the feel of it.

They did good with the design of this one, in my opinion.

I'm not a bling kind of guy.

Plain is fine.

Less is more.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[mellow]

203638.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived