Gibson Brands Forums

Wife got an American made car

Tman

Tesla S model. It is unbelievable. She just finished her doctorate, got a job and got herself a present.

After my family's experience with a 1977 Ford Granada, I (and most of the rest of my family) vowed to never again purchase an American car. I have driven Toyota's my whole life (much to the chagrin of our Pacific Theater WWII veteran neighbor).

This car is amazing AND our favorite Korean restaurant has a turbo charging station out front (free charging). I want an X model.

I should add that she has a VW diesel that was part of their settlement with the US government so she is having it bought back plus a settlement on top of that. PLUS tax breaks from the government for an electric car. Pretty cool all around.

Teslas are awesome! Congrats on the doctorate and new car!

Some Toyota models are made in the USA too btw

Thanks Dub-T-123!

I know very true. I have admittedly been obstinate about it. My last few Toyota's were probably American made making a mockery of my old pledge. I should have said and thought that I wouldn't get those designed in America in the last 30 years. That's changed now. [biggrin]

Guest Farnsbarns

I remember you said you were ordering one or thinking about it when you were here. I'm yet to get up close and personal with one but I'm told they're very well made.

Congratulations, Nice Cars.

Thanks Kelly! I'm jealous of her. [biggrin]

you could have stopped right here:

After my family's experience with a 1977 Ford Granada

yea, those were the shiznitz!!

LOL!

Right? The door actually fell off of the chassis and gave my mother a big hematoma. It was Arkansas 1978 and you didn't sue people or companies back then. Today in California, we could all retire. Thing never ran, absolute POS.

I remember you said you were ordering one or thinking about it when you were here. I'm yet to get up close and personal with one but I'm told they're very well made.

It basically has a powerful laptop in the center console and is very intuitive. You can press a button on the steering wheel and say "Play Led Zeppelin" and the first three notes of heartbreaker come blaring out of the incredible speakers. Runs so smoothly. It memorizes changes in road surfaces and automatically adjusts suspension height once you train it the first time. I could go on. Makes my Tacoma seem prehistoric!

All I can say is Big Pimpin'

Yep, she is now the madam of bling.

dag yo!

rct

You ought to go test drive one for fun. Cool experience.

Many Congratulations!

Yes, I am jealous. My dream is to own an electric car. It's not in my near future, but maybe in five years or so. I hate buying gas. Having a Prius does get me part way there (40+ MPG on a bad day).

Man, you've been turning up aces: electric car, foxy Korean wife, and good Korean food. Being married to a Korean I *love* and crave Korean food. Hell, this past weekend I was drinking soju and eating anju with my sister-in-laws' husband. What's the name of this restaurant?

Many Congratulations!

Yes, I am jealous. My dream is to own an electric car. It's not in my near future, but maybe in five years or so. I hate buying gas. Having a Prius does get me part way there (40+ MPG on a bad day).

Man, you've been turning up aces: electric car, foxy Korean wife, and good Korean food. Being married to a Korean I *love* and crave Korean food. Hell, this past weekend I was drinking soju and eating anju with my sister-in-laws' husband. What's the name of this restaurant?

That's right, your wife is Korean so you know a lot of what I experience and I agree it is phenomenal! Of course we have the largest population of Koreans outside of Seoul in LA's Koreatown and there are a plethora of restaurants but this restaurant, Gen, is in Oxnard at a big shopping complex called the collection. There are 10 charging station in the parking complex and they are turbo chargers. We pulled in for dinner last weekend with 150 mile range left on the car and it fully charged in less than 2 hours.

I forgot to say that it is bizarre driving in a perfectly silent car, like a prius on all electric mode. The other thing about the car is that it smokes any other car in pick up speed. This hot rod BMW pulled up beside her and gunned his engine at a stop light last weekend. It pissed her off and she said "watch this" and floored it on the green light. Went from 0-60 in 3-4 seconds. Not an exaggeration. I looked like one of the astronauts in centrifuge training. [biggrin]

Guest Farnsbarns

The beauty of electric is the flat torque curve. Identical torque from nothing to flat out. You'll beat nearly anything internal combustion off the line by miles.

Tell her congratulations on both, it would be neat to have an all electric and they are offered here but no place I know that charges them yet or at least here. The wife and I went to the Durham Museum several days ago and I was surprised this technology was available way back before the 40's. They had an all electric car, no steering wheel, two levers to run it and the seats were like an old fashion stage couch that people looked at each other. Why haven't they eliminated gas decades ago?

Tell her congratulations on both, it would be neat to have an all electric and they are offered here but no place I know that charges them yet or at least here. The wife and I went to the Durham Museum several days ago and I was surprised this technology was available way back before the 40's. They had an all electric car, no steering wheel, two levers to run it and the seats were like an old fashion stage couch that people looked at each other. Why haven't they eliminated gas decades ago?

Thanks Retired! Was the lever operated electric car Windows or Apple? Just curious. [biggrin]

I chanced across a demonstration of a couple of Teslas last summer.

They were very pretty but I thought that the limited range would be an issue (were I to be wealthy enough to consider one!) as I travel to the south of France a few times each year but the rep. explained how the charging-station situation works and that obstacle was effectively put aside as there are enough depots available all the way. Stop for lunch (say) and carry on with a recharged cell.

Very, very impressive vehicles.

As far as electric / electric hybrid cars are concerned;

It might surprise a few people to read that the very first car ever designed by Ferdinand Porsche - the Lohner-Porsche - was an electric/petrol hybrid. This was in 1900!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner-Porsche

Pip.

Without closing the thread down, I'll say I appreciate the encouragement to go try one, but around here these kinds of things got no chance, not now, and not for the foreseeable. There's a couple here where I work, for the government, and we don't even have one of those charging things. My state surcharges you for installing one at your home, that's how concerned we are about green energy and all that.

Things like that are for two, three generations from now.

rct

Without closing the thread down, I'll say I appreciate the encouragement to go try one, but around here these kinds of things got no chance, not now, and not for the foreseeable. There's a couple here where I work, for the government, and we don't even have one of those charging things. My state surcharges you for installing one at your home, that's how concerned we are about green energy and all that.

Things like that are for two, three generations from now.

rct

That's too bad. I could see that in Texas where the oil industry is strong and where the environment isn't as much an issue (I lived in Galveston and Texas city in the late 80s. Think Texas city refineries). California is definitely green friendly. I'm surprised at how many charging stations have cropped up lately. I have 3 here where I work. Even hydrogen fueled cars are starting to be spotted.

Congrats on the new car. Not to put a damper on things, but I'm thinking that Elan Musk has more money than brains, and oh yeah, don't use the autopilot just yet:

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/tesla-fatal-crash-autopilot-china-january-091516

sorry to P in your Corn Flakes, but I'm a V8, gas guzzling, horsepower loving kind of guy, LOL. In any event, enjoy.

Congrats on the new car. Not to put a damper on things, but I'm thinking that Elan Musk has more money than brains, and oh yeah, don't use the autopilot just yet:

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/tesla-fatal-crash-autopilot-china-january-091516

sorry to P in your Corn Flakes, but I'm a V8, gas guzzling, horsepower loving kind of guy, LOL. In any event, enjoy.

No damper at all! And yes I requested she not rely on the auto drive.

But Dennis, and I think you live in So. Cal so this could happen - I would put that car with her behind the wheel up against anything you put forth with the most horsepower you have. She will smoke you! [biggrin]

I would put that car with her behind the wheel up against anything you put forth with the most horsepower you have. She will smoke you! [biggrin]

This IS all in fun, right? Up until a year ago I'd say no. Here's my "late" '06 Z06, zero to 60 in 3.6 seconds, all in first gear. Can't find the same kind of specs on the Tesla.

007-1.jpg

As for smoking me? Really?

F2000RedYel_zpsbe6816b8.jpg

[biggrin]

This IS all in fun, right? Up until a year ago I'd say no. Here's my "late" '06 Z06, zero to 60 in 3.6 seconds, all in first gear. Can't find the same kind of specs on the Tesla.

007-1.jpg

As for smoking me? Really?

F2000RedYel_zpsbe6816b8.jpg

[biggrin]

Sh!t, maybe I cocked off too soon. [blush] I did clock her unofficially for 0-60 mph at around 3 seconds. I'd say you're on [thumbup] How about Sunday, PCH at the Ventura county line? [biggrin]

Sh!t, maybe I cocked off too soon. [blush] I did clock her unofficially for 0-60 mph at around 3 seconds. I'd say you're on [thumbup] How about Sunday, PCH at the Ventura county line? [biggrin]

Well, the reason I said "late" Z06 was because I sold it last year. I'm thinking my X5 isn't gonna be enough LOL. Isn't it Tesla that has that "hyperspeed" acceleration thingie? I'm sure it's a rocket ship in a straight line, as for the corners...well...??? [confused]

I found this interesting: [biggrin]

In yet another Tesla Model S showdown, Jay Leno — who is well known for his love of fast cars — recently challenged a Model S P85D in one of his favorite classic cars — a 1966 Ford AC Cobra with a 427 under the hood. The Tesla Model S P85D can hold its own against just about everything and is still the fastest sedan in production with a Ludicrous 0–60 time of just 2.6 seconds, as experienced by Motor Trend in its test of the upgraded vehicle. The cobra's time was 4.5 seconds.

Archived