Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan gets the 2016 Nobel Price in literature

Lars68

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a very nice thing for music and gibson fans [thumbup]

Now, i find it a bit sad somewhat, because there is so many book writers, most are unknown and do not earn a living, and on the other hand, so many music prices like grammy etc.

Thus i really do not think such price should go to musician, even whose texts are said (and are, obivously) "poetry"...

This Nobel price is a rare chance for book writers to get to be known. Litterature is already going down in people entertainments since decades. Let them have it, and i do not really care if americans did not have a Nobel in litterature for 30 years. Many other countries did not either.

That's a very nice thing for music and gibson fans [thumbup]

Now, i find it a bit sad somewhat, because there is so many book writers, most are unknown and do not earn a living, and on the other hand, so many music prices like grammy etc.

Thus i really do not think such price should go to musician, even whose texts are said (and are, obivously) "poetry"...

This Nobel price is a rare chance for book writers to get to be known. Litterature is already going down in people entertainments since decades. Let them have it, and i do not really care if americans did not have a Nobel in litterature for 30 years. Many other countries did not either.

Remarkable notion! I, however, in the interest of civility, shall refrain from remarking overmuch. 👽

Countries don't win Nobel prizes in literature: writers do.

This is not about the degree of financial success a writer has achieved. It's about the importance of their work in how it reflects or touches on the universality of the human condition, and how they express that in words.

Most songwriting is neither literature or great poetry, nor is most writing in general either great literature or poetry. Dylan has bridged the gap between songwriting and poetry probably more than any contemporary songwriter. That doesn't mean that all his work is great poetry, but a lot of it is stunning.

Countries don't win Nobel prizes in literature: writers do.

This is not about the degree of financial success a writer has achieved. It's about the importance of their work in how it reflects or touches on the universality of the human condition, and how they express that in words.

Most songwriting is neither literature or great poetry, nor is most writing in general either great literature or poetry. Dylan has bridged the gap between songwriting and poetry probably more than any contemporary songwriter. That doesn't mean that all his work is great poetry, but a lot of it is stunning.

My compliments to you for retaining an aura of civility which, at this hour of the day, I could not have managed! My patience in that regard, sadly, was exhausted by teaching early morning literature classes to groups of marginally literate college freshmen.

This news has made my day. Of course he should have had it 30 years ago, but the Nobel Foundation are always 30 years behind on this Prize (except perhaps with Camus, where even a 3-year delay would have been too late).

While I'm with Nick on this particular decision, I don't think it's fair to flame Mafy either: of course countries don't win Nobel Prizes, but a glance at the list of winners for Literature shows that it has not always gone to writers whose work resonates universally, and one theory is that it has been awarded according to a geographical rota on occasion.

If only it were announced on the night, like an Oscar. Cue presentation speeches like: 'Who will win the Nobel Prize for Literature? The answer my friends...'

This news has made my day. Of course he should have had it 30 years ago, but the Nobel Foundation are always 30 years behind on this Prize (except perhaps with Camus, where even a 3-year delay would have been too late).

While I'm with Nick on this particular decision, I don't think it's fair to flame Mafy either: of course countries don't win Nobel Prizes, but a glance at the list of winners for Literature shows that it has not always gone to writers whose work resonates universally, and one theory is that it has been awarded according to a geographical rota on occasion.

If only it were announced on the night, like an Oscar. Cue presentation speeches like: 'Who will win the Nobel Prize for Literature? The answer my friends...'

I didn't intend to flame Mafy in any way. There are times when the Nobel prizes seem politically-driven, but sometimes, they get it right. I think they did in this case.

A somewhat funny side note. For several years a certain Swedish commercial radio personality would make sure he was in the audience as the yearly recipient of the literature prize was announced by the Swedish Academy. This is kind of a stiff, cerimonial event, where the door to the board room of the Academy opens and the lifelong Secretary comes out to announce the winner. As the name of the winner is mentioned, the radio guy would then shout very loudly and enthusiastically "FINALLY!". This being of course done in a sarcastic way, as to say the price is always given to some weird author, writing something the general public has no interest in or could not possibly understand. The guy was eventually banned, but managed to sneek in using a disquise several years in a row, continuing his tradition of "FINALLY!". It became kind of a sport, and a lot of people were more interested to find out if the guy would manage to sneek in, than actually learning about the recipient.

No sarcastic "FINALLY!" this year, I guess it means something... [biggrin]

Lars

I didn't intend to flame Mafy in any way. There are times when the Nobel prizes seem politically-driven, but sometimes, they get it right. I think they did in this case.

Not being of native english language i sometimes misunderstand the posts above, 2nd, 3rd, 4th degrees..., so i did not feel flamed in any way either.

I think my post was wrongly written (i'm far from being able to win the price) and i also understand if my post did upset some (not sure it did though ?? and i hope not, this was not intended).

I just meant that prices for writers are so rare, it is a chance for them to get to be known around the world, and it seems easier to me to be famous as a musician. I also meant that these prices are often about political choices, and besides, a musician winning the price could only be an english speaker.

I think it is more fair to keep the price for book/writers.

To make things clear, i'm a big dylan fan, i have played and sang many of his songs and love them. I even think he deserve the price. This is not about wether he deserves it or not, but what this price is about.

I have no clue how the winner is chosen, but i know Dylan has been nominated/foreseen as winner for many years and it finally happened. Great for him, but less for book writers.

Besides, there is many true poetry singers in other countries, in France Renaud, J. Brel, G. Brassens, F. Cabrel and many others could have won the price as much as Dylan, but they are french singers, can't be as known and understood around the world since the songs barely get translated.

I understand if some do not agree and totally respect their different point of view, and i'm still happy for Dylan.

I realize that Nick, and I wouldn't assume that Cowboy intended such a thing either, but I can think of contexts in which comments about the aura of civility might provoke less restrained discussion. And in the circumstances it's surely better to celebrate Dylan's success than to see an unintended fight break out over mild dissent. Besides, the question of the relative fortunes of music and literature is an interesting one, and not quite the same as the issue of which art form makes more money. It's also somewhat more interesting than the straightforward old 'is Dylan a poet?' or 'does he produce literature?' chestnuts, which admittedly do seem to underpin the idea that the prize ought to go to a print-based author. But, as I said, I also think they got it right this time. And to be honest, it's in the early years that their decisions (now) seem more bizarre. This news really made my day in the face of an exhaustion which would appear to parallel Cowboy's in many ways. It was enough to make me head for this Forum again.

Archived