Gibson Brands Forums

HEADPHONES CHOICE

Lunatic

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on headphones to plug into my amp for quiet practice. Something that goes over the ear, not heavy, doesn't get hot / make you sweat, good quality sound, etc. I've found these online:

1. Audio Technica ATH-M50, M20 & M40

2. AKG K240

3. Sennheiser HD598

What do you guys use and can you recommend anything up to say $150? Thanks

I don't have any recommendations other than this.

Headphones, like guitars, you get what you pay for. Spend as much as you can afford.

Headphones, like guitars, you get what you pay for, go try them out. Don't buy them online if you can help it.

What you hear and feel may be different from what i hear and feel. Go check them out yourself. You may get some good ideas here. I would still go listen for myself.

As much as I respect all the opinions of these folks I still have to hear/feel for myself.

I'm weird like that.

I don't have any recommendations other than this.

Headphones, like guitars, you get what you pay for. Spend as much as you can afford.

Headphones, like guitars, you get what you pay for, go try them out. Don't buy them online if you can help it.

What you hear and feel may be different from what i hear and feel. Go check them out yourself. You may get some good ideas here. I would still go listen for myself.

As much as I respect all the opinions of these folks I still have to hear/feel for myself.

I'm weird like that.

Understand

Thanks all. I've found a shop that stocks all these brands and more. Only problem (maybe) is they are a hifi shop - not a music shop so I can't sit and play to simulate a 'real' environment. No matter, I'll give it a shot. Just in time to get the better half to put something under the tree for me. Usually the card says "To Me From Me". The kids usually crack with the "To Dad From Dad". Happy holidays.

My bandmates and me prefer the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO models.

They are available with 250, 80 or 32 ohms per can. Battery or USB powered sources call for 32 ohms, for recording use with line-powered units 80 ohms is usually best, and for best S/N ratio from line-powered units, HiFi so to say, 250 ohms is the way to go.

My bandmates and me prefer the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO models.

They are available with 250, 80 or 32 ohms per can. Battery or USB powered sources call for 32 ohms, for recording use with line-powered units 80 ohms is usually best, and for best S/N ratio from line-powered units, HiFi so to say, 250 ohms is the way to go.

Just want some headphones mate. But, appreciate learning something new as I didn't know all this even existed!

Can't give you any comparison between those models, but I have had the Audio Technica ATH-M30 for quite a few years now. To me they sound great for the price and are very comfortable.

I've got a pair of ATH-M30s and a pair of the M40s - the M40's have a richer sound (more low mids and bass) but I prefer the M30s - unfortunately the ear surrounds are starting to shed black pleather.

Shure SRH440's are great! Been using them for years. And they won't break the bank.

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on headphones to plug into my amp for quiet practice. Something that goes over the ear, not heavy, doesn't get hot / make you sweat, good quality sound, etc. I've found these online:

1. Audio Technica ATH-M50, M20 & M40

2. AKG K240

3. Sennheiser HD598

What do you guys use and can you recommend anything up to say $150? Thanks

Archived